Just how easy is it to get Aus. PR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cancerchan

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok folks there's been a lot of talk lately about going to Aus to get your PR and then reducing your tuition and living happily ever after at the expense of the Australian government. We've been hearing anecdotes on how easy it is provided you have a degree. I've contacted and immigration lawyer and here's the lowdown.

If you have a degree, you are going to want to use it to qualify for skilled migration visas. You require 110 points on average to qualify for a skilled migration visa. You will most likely qualify for 50 points towards your migration. In order for this to be valid, you have to have worked in any type of job for 24 out of 36 months prior to submission of the visa. This has to be at least 20 hours a week. This application must be submitted offshore (not from australia). Your degree, if it's in a science background, has to be certified by VETASSESS, a company in Australia. This takes 4 months and costs 400 dollars. The actual visa application for a skilled migrant worker (payable to the govnt) averages about 2000 AUD. Immigration lawyers, who tend to know the ins and outs and methods to maximize your chances, cost about 3000 AUD.

If you have already been accepted to Aus, and haven't got any of this assessment stuff out of the way, this will take you into about feb before you can even submit a visa application. Only then can you start applying for your visa. If your degree/job is worth 60 points, as some might no doubt be, then the work requirement is even more rigorous. 50 point jobs require employment, period. 60 point jobs require employment in your field of study (eg, you got a degree in anthropology, you have to have been employed as an anthropologist for the last 12/18 months leading up to your application, and i think 36/48 as well)

Now theoretically you could submit your offshore application while in Australia using your home address, which no doubt a lot of people do. Bear in mind the recent work requirement. Say you submit it in August of 2004 from your home country while you are studying in Aus.. Because of the work requirement, this means that you have to have worked in your home country consistently right up until the point you left.

Translation: If you just graduated with your undergrad (ie may 2003), you needed to have been employed during your studies or you can't apply as a skilled migrant worker. You also MIGHT need to have been employed in your field of study depending on what job you nominate (therefore, working at the local pub doesn't count, working for student services doesn't count, working as a data entry clerk for your local conglomerate doesn't work, and deep frying mcburgers and fries sure as hell doesn't count). Volunteer work doesn't count. If you've been out of school and been working locally for a couple of years prior to applying to Aus, you're probably better off applying for your PR visa, you just can't do it from within Australia legally because you're considered onshore and a student.

If you want to apply for a PR from within Australia (onshore application), the work requirement is waived but you have to have attended school for 2 years, completed a degree in Australia (essentially meaning attending school for at least 4 years in our case) Now the trick with doctors is that they are not on the list of jobs that Aus currently needs, so they award you no points for being a doctor, essentially ruling out getting a PR after you graduate. I haven't heard anything about just subtracting 10 points from your visa application; if doctor is not on the skilled occupations list, you can't claim any points for it. You also can't claim your first degree after getting your australian medical degree. Ausi immigration looks at your latest qualification only.

There's plenty more, I've been looking this up for a while. I haven't got much sleep and there's a permanent imprint of a scrawny future USYD graduate in my computer chair. He smells like burnt toast and poutine, too. There's a laundry list longer than the American death count in Iraq of stuff that needs to be submitted with your visa application.

So the moral? Do your own research. It ain't easy, it ain't pretty, and it certainly isn't a walk in the park. Screw the anecdotes of people who might have done it for themselves in the past. Find out how hard it's going to be for you, in your current situation. I'm still going to USYD as an international. I guarantee you that there are gonna be replies going "yeah i told you I wasn't an expert but it is possible and you need to have faith, i know cause i have friends, do research for yourself, it's not easy, apply for a rural area, you must be doing something wrong, yada yada.." and i say if you can do it, more power to you. Check into it though. REALLY check into it. SDN is NOT an immigration forum. SDNers are NOT immigration lawyers. No one claimed to be, no, but it's so easy to take what is read as fact.

DON'T apply and accept any AUS university hoping/praying you'll get PR, because there are a lot of hurdles. Some guy said earlier that this whole PR thing sounds too good to be true. You be the judge of that.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for all the leg-work and that enlightening post, cancerchan!

Now how about NZ ;) ?

-pitman

I came to the same conclusion myself a while back.
I actually have the work experience and a qualifying degree.
I thought about applying beforehand but how do you attempt to get a student visa and PR at the same time?? All sorts of problems arise. Then if you apply later, how do you prove that you have been working 20hrs/week if that is the maximum that your student visa allows? All sorts of problems with this idea.

I'm guessing your PR would be accepted upon graduating if you elected to go rural but that is a 6 year commitment after finishing residency. I'm not sure how many of us from overseas would want to live in the outback...

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by cancerchan
If you want to apply for a PR from within Australia (onshore application), the work requirement is waived but you have to have attended school for 2 years, completed a degree in Australia (essentially meaning attending school for at least 4 years in our case) Now the trick with doctors is that they are not on the list of jobs that Aus currently needs, so they award you no points for being a doctor, essentially ruling out getting a PR after you graduate. I haven't heard anything about just subtracting 10 points from your visa application; if doctor is not on the skilled occupations list, you can't claim any points for it. You also can't claim your first degree after getting your australian medical degree. Ausi immigration looks at your latest qualification only.

There's plenty more, I've been looking this up for a while. I haven't got much sleep and there's a permanent imprint of a scrawny future USYD graduate in my computer chair. He smells like burnt toast and poutine, too. There's a laundry list longer than the American death count in Iraq of stuff that needs to be submitted with your visa application.

You obviously haven't gotten a very good immigration lawyer. I'm not trying to say anything is easy nor am I giving annecdotal evidence...all I'm saying is that if you are able to secure yourself a two year contract as an RMO you can qualify for a PR - this is according to the immigration lawyer I contacted.

My moral? There are plenty of loopholes if you want to stay.

Also it's a two year contract not a 6 year contract.. (as an RMO) and if your hopes are to stay in Sydney or Melbourne you will have ZERO chance of doing so. And it does not mean you have to work in the "outback" only in places where there is a critical shortage.

Cancerchan the thing that gets me is that you are making it sound as if I said this whole process is easy. I have never said that! Your experiences have been sad. I am presenting ppl. with another option for them to research...i never said it was fact but only an OPTION. Yes I presented some of the stories of my friends but thats only to show that it's possible...not written on paper. At least I'm not sitting on top of a PR holding back so that no one even knows this option exists. If you guys think I'm full of *hit then i will stop posting about this PR process..I'm honestly trying to present more options for ppl out there..not to mislead anyone.

Hi RSE,

Maybe he meant me actually :). But regardless, I think we will all agree that anyone thinking of becoming a doctor in ANY country, especially not their own country must make an effort to do it. There is no such thing as a free lunch, and there is nothing easy in life (except to fail :) ). And I think we will all agree that no one here in the forum so far is trying to claim otherwise either.

It does get to me when people think that they can always find an easy way out for everything. I wish their patients good luck :) . Like cancerchan says, it's tough tough tough to do it in Australia, or anywhere else in the world (in fact, for most here who are from US/Can, it is probably EASIEST to do it in US...). And like RSE or I would say, difficult is NOT the same as impossible. It is a possible route, and how hard you try and how long you persevere trying I would say is dependent on how much you think it is worth. Many would (and should) consider even the field of medicine as "not worth it." Likewise, many would and should consider trying to stay back in Oz or elsewhere as "not worth it" and just not even try. That is actually good for those of us who wants to try staying back anyway :laugh: .

BTW, RSE, I appreciate your comments on the forum, and I don't know if Cancerchan is directing his comments to you.

Originally posted by tl47
Hi RSE,

Maybe he meant me actually :). But regardless, I think we will all agree that anyone thinking of becoming a doctor in ANY country, especially not their own country must make an effort to do it. There is no such thing as a free lunch, and there is nothing easy in life (except to fail :) ). And I think we will all agree that no one here in the forum so far is trying to claim otherwise either.

It does get to me when people think that they can always find an easy way out for everything. I wish their patients good luck :) . Like cancerchan says, it's tough tough tough to do it in Australia, or anywhere else in the world (in fact, for most here who are from US/Can, it is probably EASIEST to do it in US...). And like RSE or I would say, difficult is NOT the same as impossible. It is a possible route, and how hard you try and how long you persevere trying I would say is dependent on how much you think it is worth. Many would (and should) consider even the field of medicine as "not worth it." Likewise, many would and should consider trying to stay back in Oz or elsewhere as "not worth it" and just not even try. That is actually good for those of us who wants to try staying back anyway :laugh: .

BTW, RSE, I appreciate your comments on the forum, and I don't know if Cancerchan is directing his comments to you.

Thanks Tl47. I think you and I both understand that once you get to a country and see things happen behind the scenes you will agree that a lot of things are possible. I can understand if ppl. are not willing to put in the effort in working in shortage areas but then again I would rather do that then work in some of the roughest neighbourhoods in the US if my USMLE scores aren't steller. Either way I doubt that the path will be very rosy.

From what I have seen regarding Australia's system it is quite easy to get PR versus any other country. In fact someone I knew who couldn't get PR in the US or in Canada was able to get it in Australia. For doctors, this is difficult at the current moment. Dentists have a much better chance because Dentistry is on the list. If you want to see a country with an extremely xenophobic system, try Switzerland, although I heard that you can buy your way into the country by opening a business and hiring at least one Swiss citizen, which is incredibly expensive considering the cost of labor there. The UK also has a system that requires you to have a certain amount of income depending on your age, and if you're over 28 you need to make an extremely high income. Australia is not that difficult, though it depends on what you do, the friend of mine who moved there was an Electrical Engineer.

Darn. They sure don't like doctors. Nurses, electrical engineers, dentists, etc. are on the list with 60 points. I didn't see doctors. Even paramedics was on the list I think. Make that, even chefs and head chefs are both 60 points. Or piano tuner. But doctors? Bah those people ain't worth s***.

Hahaha. I dunno what kind of system this is. But if this is the sign of how much they care about doctors... hmm... no wonder they have a doctor shortage. :)

Yeah i agree with you, but i think it's the AMA that made doctors go off the list. Though hopefully doctors will be on the list again.

redshifteffect said:
Yeah i agree with you, but i think it's the AMA that made doctors go off the list. Though hopefully doctors will be on the list again.

Hopefully not!

;)

Yeah, the immigration system in Australia is somehow ridiculous at the moment.

I completed the Bachelor's degree (Bachelor of Science (advanced)) in Australia in the area of neuroscience medical research with 2 publications. I tried to get PR under the category of skilled migration with the job, "medical scientist" last year but I couldn't because:

1. Their definition of 'medical scientist' is different from what I have done. "Medical scientist" refers to a person who measures the blood pressure, etc... rather than who does medical research.

2. They don't consider anything about your achievement from uni, etc... as long as you pass, it's all the same.

So now, I deferred getting into Usyd med and doing honours. Hopefully I could get it after I finish my honours year.

New Zealand Residents are considered locals for austalia as far a school goes. How hard/easy is it to get permanant residency there?

AmyBass2011 said:
New Zealand Residents are considered locals for austalia as far a school goes. How hard/easy is it to get permanant residency there?

No they aren't. Only NZ citizens... AFAIK

HI, I am new to this site.I am a practising dentist(BDS) in INDIA.Can u advice me on immigration to Australia?I am seriously thinking about it though I am practising for 4 years now and I have a fairly good practice.

To add to the jumble:

how easy would it be to stay in Oz and get my PR with sponsorship? I have tons of family in Aus and NZ-- does this make the process any simpler?

Yes. Check out the links off the referenced post -- since docs are now on the 'in Demand List', you get 5 extra points if you're sponsored (e.g., by a hospital as an RMO), and if you're sponsored, you get another 15 points for having immediate family as citizens or residents.

Note that they've bumped the requirement for PR to 120 points.