Just how competitive are the military scholarship programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mazz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it one of those, if you want you got it, type programs or is there a whole selection and acceptance process?

Id almost rather take the loans if I have to go through a whole in depth selection process just to get into the military...again.

Members don't see this ad.

1. You have to meet the basic requirements.
2. Application to fill out.
3. Get accepted to dental school.
4. Interview with an officer in the branch of the military.
5. Get okayed by a board who decides if you get the scholarship
6. Pass the physical.
7. Pass background check and be okayed by congress.
8. Swear in.
9. COT

If your grades and DAT scores are good enough, you are Matrix Qualified and the whole process moves a lot quicker and is less painful I hear. 3.5 and 19 AA I believe.

I was matrix qualified and it was really quite painless. I consider it nothing at all compared to paying back loans. I would say definitely worth it.

1. You have to meet the basic requirements.
2. Application to fill out.
3. Get accepted to dental school.
4. Interview with an officer in the branch of the military.
5. Get okayed by a board who decides if you get the scholarship
6. Pass the physical.
7. Pass background check and be okayed by congress.
8. Swear in.
9. COT

If your grades and DAT scores are good enough, you are Matrix Qualified and the whole process moves a lot quicker and is less painful I hear. 3.5 and 19 AA I believe.

I was matrix qualified and it was really quite painless. I consider it nothing at all compared to paying back loans. I would say definitely worth it.

Nice, I was hoping it would be like that.

I forgot to mention, the earlier you start the process, the better chance you have. Just like dental school apps.