Just graduated dental school. Is a 2-3 month break okay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChewyDrop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just graduated dental school. Is a 2-3 month break okay? I need to take care of some personal things before I start working. Any inputs?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that's a problem... some grads take longer than that to find their first job

Reactions: 1 user
Just graduated dental school. Is a 2-3 month break okay? I need to take care of some personal things before I start working. Any inputs?

Nope. You might forget everything, become rusty, and be less productive. You can always take a break later on, but you don't want to get lazy from your break. However, if you think your personal issues might get in the way of your professional life, then go ahead and take care of them first. If personal things involve getting married, all I can say is don't get married (for a long time).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you can afford to why not.

If you can afford to why not.
There's tons of reasons why you should not take a 2-3 month break...start paying off student loans, start getting more real world clinical experience sooner, don't let the already lacking skills dwindle even further, start saving for retirement, etc. The whole you've earned a break thing doesn't make sense to me. You have yet to earn anything upon graduating dental school.

OP said they had some "personal things" to take care of so I don't think it'll be a leisurely break...
I guess I don’t understand what type of “personal things” warrant a 2-3 month break, but if it’s something that’s absolutely necessary then what’s the point of asking on the forum. If it’s optional I’d say skip the break and get to work.

Reactions: 1 users
I guess I don’t understand what type of “personal things” warrant a 2-3 month break, but if it’s something that’s absolutely necessary then what’s the point of asking on the forum. If it’s optional I’d say skip the break and get to work.
Yes, I agree….especially if these personal things require a lot of money (wedding, medical bills etc). You need to work right away. Don’t forget that you will have to start repaying your student loans 6 months after graduation.

Yeah this is a weird question to ask with no context on a public forum.

It's your life OP, no school is dictating your schedule. Do whatever you want that makes sense for your situation

Reactions: 3 users
Last year I graduated in mid-May, and I did not get my state license until the first week of June. I took the entire month of June off to travel, and I started working after the July 4th weekend. I really needed that 2-month break from mid-May to mid-July to recharge after years of non-stop schooling.

Reactions: 2 users
I had the same issue that I had to wait for 2months after graduation to receive my dental license. I totally agree that from nonstop schooling, that time was worth it to recharge. However, I had job interviews during that time to make sure I’m ready to work when I can..

Last time I checked. It's YOUR life. Do what you want. Nobody here knows your situation. Do what's best for you.
Like others have posted .... you could start working on your state dental license, DEA number, employment, etc. while you are taking care of the personal stuff.
And that 6 month loan grace period comes up pretty fast.

Personally. I could not wait to start working. Finally make some money.

Reactions: 2 users
Last time I checked. It's YOUR life. Do what you want. Nobody here knows your situation. Do what's best for you.
Like others have posted .... you could start working on your state dental license, DEA number, employment, etc. while you are taking care of the personal stuff.
And that 6 month loan grace period comes up pretty fast.

Personally. I could not wait to start working. Finally make some money.
How long does it typically take to get a state dental license after graduation? I’ve looked at some of the applications and they require certification of the completion of dental school is that some thing you can only get after graduation or can you get that a couple weeks before graduation to get the application for the license in the mail ahead of time that way you can work right after you graduate?

How long does it typically take to get a state dental license after graduation? I’ve looked at some of the applications and they require certification of the completion of dental school is that some thing you can only get after graduation or can you get that a couple weeks before graduation to get the application for the license in the mail ahead of time that way you can work right after you graduate?
Took me about 3 weeks.

Each state takes a different amount of time based on the competence levels of their state dental board.

Depends on your school and when exactly they certify you as 'graduated'. some schools wait till after graduation day and some do it before.

Last year I graduated in mid-May, and I did not get my state license until the first week of June. I took the entire month of June off to travel, and I started working after the July 4th weekend. I really needed that 2-month break from mid-May to mid-July to recharge after years of non-stop schooling.
Smart smart person! What’s the rush. If you can take off why not. Dentistry will be the same when you return. That was my biggest regret not taking more time off once I graduated dental school and started working.