Just got offered 4 yr scholarship from AF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's late but worth the wait.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats man. It's a good place to be!

You can't go wrong with the military. Especially the AF fresh out of school. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't go wrong with the military. Especially the AF fresh out of school. :thumbup:

I did as well. They opened up an additional 20 scholarships from 55 to 75. I was 3rd on the wait list.

I did as well. They opened up an additional 20 scholarships from 55 to 75. I was 3rd on the wait list.

Sounds like they are seriously ramping up for something. Maybe the army has been doing all the work up to now with Iraq and Afghanistan. I sort of heard something about a more equitable distribution of work among the branches.

According to my advisor (at dental school), they are hitting a big wave of dentists that are retiring so they are extremely short-handed. Also, a lot of contracts of the class of 2004 probably just expired and those didn't renew. It doesn't all have to be linked to the war.

According to my advisor (at dental school), they are hitting a big wave of dentists that are retiring so they are extremely short-handed. Also, a lot of contracts of the class of 2004 probably just expired and those didn't renew. It doesn't all have to be linked to the war.

It doesn't have to but unfortunately it is a big thing in the military now.
With war fair number of people will want to opt out eventually so you need to replace them but the military becomes a harder sell, hence more HPSP spots.
In peace time the military can be very cushy so retention rates shoot up so fewer slots for new people. So it is a sort of mixed blessing for us new comers.

I also received notice that I was being moved up from the alternate list for the 4 year scholarship. My old recruiter, who was just reassigned, told me that the 20k bonus (which army and navy offer) was approved for us 4 year scholarship people in the AF. However, my new recruiter said that had not technically been passed yet. Has anyone heard any news about this???

Sounds like they are seriously ramping up for something. Maybe the army has been doing all the work up to now with Iraq and Afghanistan. I sort of heard something about a more equitable distribution of work among the branches.

The would depend on what military wants to achieve in those fronts. I would say the present priorities (training local army, holding off militants' comeback, stabilizing the areas that are under control) are much more suitable for Army than AF or Navy. We can support Army's operation, but I don't see us taking the bulk of the work. Unless we expand and build some large facilities I doubt we will be called to serve there. Just my 0.02.

okay, so I just got off the phone with my AF recruiter and he was saying this:
Right now the AF does NOT have the 20,000 for the dental corps, HOWEVER, he said their is a possibility that after Oct. 1st this year the AF will start giving out the 20,000 sign on bonus, and that they will back pay that 20,000 to anyone who signed up for a 4 year scholarship if they do in fact add the bonus.

He said he didn't want to mislead me, but he in his opinion he would bet that they do add it in October.

THen the next thing he said to me was that during school, the 4 years count TOWARDS retirement??? I thought it was the 45 days each year giving you an extra 6 months IN. But he said in the AF IF you want to retire in 20 years, then you would have 8 years in towards retirement. That didn't seem right to me, so I clarified and that I understood him right. Could anyone clarify this? Thanks.

As of right now the 4 years of dental school DO NOT count as years towards retirement. And I highly doubt that is likely to change.

okay, so I just got off the phone with my AF recruiter and he was saying this:
Right now the AF does NOT have the 20,000 for the dental corps, HOWEVER, he said their is a possibility that after Oct. 1st this year the AF will start giving out the 20,000 sign on bonus, and that they will back pay that 20,000 to anyone who signed up for a 4 year scholarship if they do in fact add the bonus.

He said he didn't want to mislead me, but he in his opinion he would bet that they do add it in October.

THen the next thing he said to me was that during school, the 4 years count TOWARDS retirement??? I thought it was the 45 days each year giving you an extra 6 months IN. But he said in the AF IF you want to retire in 20 years, then you would have 8 years in towards retirement. That didn't seem right to me, so I clarified and that I understood him right. Could anyone clarify this? Thanks.

So how large is the dental corp in the AF?

I should be swearing in this week. What will be the process once that has happened?

1)Will I automatically be passed from my recruiter to a liaison who specifically handles my case?

2)How often will I need to be in contact with this person?

2.5)Frequency of physicals?

3)When I buy books (I already purchased required scrubs), do I buy them myself and show proof of purchase for reimbursement, or am I alloted money each semester?

4)Since Pitt does not have summer breaks, I have heard that I simply fill out a form and have it signed saying that I cannot complete the 45 day active duty requirement while enrolled. I would like to go to a base though on one of our shorter breaks for at least a few weeks, will this be a problem, as I was unable to do COT this summer due to the lateness of my acceptance. Will I be supplied with a uniform? Will it be understood that I'm not an idiot for saluting improperly (or at all?) because I have not been educated how to do so? IOW has anyone else been in this situation?

5)I've already put $1500 down as 1st and 2nd security deposits which will be transfered over to my first semester tuition, I'm assuming I will be reimbursed for this, no?

Sorry for the mundane questions, my recruiter was reassigned and I've been shuffled around between some new recruiters who are still training and have not been very helpful.

Thanks