Just got my transcripts from 10 years ago, ughh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BobbyMac

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's been ten years since I graduated college with a Bachelors in Psychology and as I barely remembered, my grades were less than stellar, I'm talking 2.45 GPA. I would like to apply for a Master's program this Winter, but I have a few psych classes that I got C's (and one D) in.

Would these prevent me from being accepted into a Masters program? If so do I have to scramble to find a place to retake these classes before winter's end? Money is really tight now and that might not be doable.

Members don't see this ad.

Even masters master programs require a 3.0 GPA. I do know people that have gotten in with 2.7s and 2.8s..but 2.4 is really pushing it. When you have a mostly C average, programs will wonder about your ability to do grad level work. You are gonna have to retake some classes, at least a few of the Cs and the one you got a D in. If you rock your GRE it will help offset that some too though. However, the other problem is that you will be under enormous pressure to keep a 4.0 in your masters, cause you're having to offset your undegrad GPA. Ph.d/Psy.D. programs will see your undergrad transcript too when you apply, and you will have to work to offset that in your masters.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My advice would be to take the general and psychology GRE exams. Good scores on both may help offset your undergraduate GPA. Even if the program you're applying to doesn't require the psychology subject GRE, go ahead and send it to the school anyway. Make sure you do well on it or it could hurt you even more. The Princeton Review has a good book for the psych GRE as do other companies. Since the psych GRE is an achievement test, there is no one strategy that is superior other than rote memorization of the material.

Side note - don't let that low GPA keep you from applying. It would also be wise to talk about how much you've matured over the past 10 years on an addendum in your applications. That is, if you have indeed matured :) Also, if you have spare time, become a volunteer RA for a psychology lab.

I'm certain that the schools will not look in your favor at this, however, the advice given is completely valid. You should be able to take the first masters courses as a provisional student, prove yourself, and gain acceptance within a year. But, of course, you must do well (ie. get a 4.0 in the process).

Some programs may let you take a class or two as a non-degree seeking student, and based upon your performance, they may let you matriculate into the degree program. Obviously YMMV.

I graduated with a BA in the fall of 2005 and took 2 graduate-level psychology courses as non-degree seeking at that university. I then applied to a MA program at another university and was accepted for spring 2007. I was able to transfer 1 of those courses which helped out. There are many things you can do to dig yourself out of the hole that you're in. Similar to research, the path is seldom linear. You might have to take 2 steps back to take 3 forward.