Just got my November PCAT scores!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danyoung2003200

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am so relieved, this was my first time taking the test and I got an 89, my lowest section was chemistry with a 42. Do schools really look at the individual sections or the composite. I am just so happy that I got as high as I did. I thought I did a lot worse. Hope everyone else did well!!

Members don't see this ad.

That was unbelievably fast compared to the October scores! Anyways, good job man. There's no telling how high you could get if you raised that chemistry section! I doubt they put much stock into the individual scores, just the comp. A good composite score will tell them how smart you are as a whole, even if you do have a weak area (mine was biology).

Is an 89 a competitive score? You all would know better than me, since most of you all have applied before. I just don't want that chem score to bring me down, lol. I'm not worrying about it much, I am just so happy with the 89, I thought I did much worse.

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too! I am so excited. I brought my biology up 20 points since October's test. Got a 94 cumulative on November.

And much thanks to FutureRxGal for promoting PCAT Professor. I just ran through those bio questions over and over and over. :)

I am so excited for all of you!!! I am at work, but I hope that my scores will be waiting for me when I get home. Awesome scores, that is!!! OHHH, I am so nervous! Congrats to all of you, especially jemc2000 for increasing your score by so much!

jemc2000 said:
Me too! I am so excited. I brought my biology up 20 points since October's test. Got a 94 cumulative on November.

That's awesome!!
:clap:

jemc2000 said:

And much thanks to FutureRxGal for promoting PCAT Professor. I just ran through those bio questions over and over and over. :)

Congrats! :) You're welcome about the PCAT professor, too. I used that my second time around, and I brought my composite score up by 21 points. :)

danyoung2003200 said:
I am so relieved, this was my first time taking the test and I got an 89, my lowest section was chemistry with a 42. Do schools really look at the individual sections or the composite. I am just so happy that I got as high as I did. I thought I did a lot worse. Hope everyone else did well!!
Most schools look at the overall composite.

danyoung2003200 said:
Is an 89 a competitive score? You all would know better than me, since most of you all have applied before. I just don't want that chem score to bring me down, lol. I'm not worrying about it much, I am just so happy with the 89, I thought I did much worse.

89 is absolutely a competitive score. I think the average composite of PharmCAS applicants who got accepted into a school was 78. Some schools might have the average comp. of who they've accepted on their website. I'm applying to UAMS, and their average for last year was an 83.

:thumbup: congrads!
jemc2000 said:

I just got my score! I got a 92. I can't believe how weird the scores are though. I am pretty pumped as this was my first time! Thank you again for all the advice given!

Okay, 59 composite... I am so depressed. I don't know what happened, I have a degree in Bio and scored 60% on that section??????
anyway, I haven't heard of anyone getting in with this type of score so I guess I should look at other options... any Ideas? I am soooooooo depressed :( :( :( :(

Hey I just got my scores back and my composite score was a 70. I need to raise this tremendously...where is the PCAT professor? Ha ha...would someone please put on a link to that website? Does it really help you? My lowest score was in biology! Thanks!

HannahK said:
Hey I just got my scores back and my composite score was a 70. I need to raise this tremendously...where is the PCAT professor? Ha ha...would someone please put on a link to that website? Does it really help you? My lowest score was in biology! Thanks!

www.pcatprofessor.com raised my biology score from a 62 to a 82.

I got a 99 composite score. The last test accepted for the school I'm applying too is the Nov. one so I'm very relieved.

Any suggestions on how to raise my quantitative score? I scored a 44 in the quantitative portion in October and I'm retaking it in January. I haven't had calculus in 4 years... I need a pretty rough crash course.

Hey! This is my first post on the forum although ive been lurking around for a while.

I still haven't received my Nov PCAT scores...im in Phoenix :(

Where do all you guys who received it live? Do you think I should call Harcourt?

Well actually I just logged onto pcatweb.info and they told me to call immediately to correct my records!....does anybody know what that means

I'm kinda worried about that now :scared:

Got my scores:

verbal 77
bio 84
reading 93
math 75
chem 59
composite 83

Did better than last time but math and chem are still weak for me.

jamboo54 said:
Well actually I just logged onto pcatweb.info and they told me to call immediately to correct my records!....does anybody know what that means

I'm kinda worried about that now :scared:
I bet they got your scores returned to them because of a postal issue. Go and check your records and make sure your address is right and then send them an email telling them that it is correct.

Hey...so it turns out my parents had my scores but didn't know that PCATs were done by pschological corp so they thought it was junk mail :eek:

Verbal: 92
Biology: 96
Reading Comp: 96
Quantitative Ability: 91
Chemistry: 94
Composite: 97 :)

Well here's my two cents on how to study for the PCATs for those who care what my opinion is... :p

Verbal section: The vocab wasn't very difficult. Try to find a long ist of medium difficulty words and memorize them if you feel that you don't know enough vocab. An SAT vocab list might be good. On the vocab section the only think Kaplan taught me was that in the analogies the answer has to be a strong connection. Basically don't ever talk yourself into an answer in the verbal section cuz then its probably wrong.

Biology: I used the Kaplan book to just learn what topics were covered in the PCAT so i didn't have to read an entire biology textbook. There are like a total of 12-15 chapters in a general bio textbook that are tested on the PCAT. Just read those chapters a few times and actually make sure you learn each paragraph and not just assume you know it. DO NOT rely on kaplan to teach you bio. Just use it to narrow the topics for you to read in your bio textbook.

Reading Comp: I'm not sure how one can prepare for this. Kaplan had a really crappy way of doing this section. They said to write next to each paragraph what the point was and what was covered. I thought this wasted more time. I think the best way is to read the passages slowly (not that slow though) and make sure you understand what you just read before you go onto the questions. This way when you are answering the qeustions you don't have to reread the entire passage again to find an answer.

Quantitative Ability: I thought Kaplan had good practice tests for this section. The only way to do well on this is to practice practice practice. You can spend all the time you want learning different rules and laws but until you practice them you won't know how to apply them. The calc i thought was pretty basic overall. I think that a lot of people slow down in the middle to spend more time on a question. If you know that this question will take a while to answer then skip it. I think they purposely put in questions like that in the middle of the test to mess you up. On my section I ended up actually skipping about 10 of the slightly more time consuming questions completely- i just put in B for all those questions. This allowed me to get the easier ones right near the end. There are some faster ways to do certain problems. Like simplifying fractions so you don't have to multiply big numbers. Things like that can help a lot during the tests. Find someone thats good at math and knows these tricks that they don't teach in school. DO NOT rely on kaplan to teach you math.

Chemistry: I took this test before I had finished the first semester of ochem. It had a few questions on some nomenclature and some basic E1 E2 SN1 SN2 reactions. Some hydrogenation and dehydrogenation. In my ochem textbook, everything on the PCAT was covered within the first 7 chapters. Most textbooks go in a similar order. For the genchem i reread about 10 chapters from my genchem textbook. I didn't really do any of the problems or anything - just read it to refresh some knowledge. I can honestly say that I was not the best at genchem. I got an A in the class but whenever I try to answer people's questions about their homework or anything now in genchem I don't know how to do it. Most of the questions on the PCAT were conceptual. I don't think there were any calculations. There were a few gas law questions. Maybe a couple stoichiometry questions. I think they will always ask whether a reaction is endo or exothermic. A few standard definitions that one should know after going through genchem.

My opinions about Kaplan and PCATprofessor.com
Kaplan is good for some practice problems. It helps build confidence. I did very poorly on most of Kaplan's practice tests. They use the DAT material to prepare you for the PCAT. I guess they say if you can answer the more difficult DAT questions then you can do the slighltly more simple PCAT questions. Kaplan builds a little more confidence knowing that you have been exposed to types of problems they may ask. I honestly do not think I got 1000 bucks of advice out of the class. I would say i got about maybe $300 dollars worth. This is just my opinion of our Kaplan center in Phoenix. Maybe some other centers are better.

PCATprofessor: I signed up for it based off of everyone's advice on SDN. I took a few of their practice tests to test my knowledge. I was getting about 70% correct on most of their tests. Im not really sure how that correlates to PCAT scores though. I would say learn the material first and then sign up for PCATprofessor.

Sorry for this extremely long post...

If anyone wants any more of my opinion then feel free to ask or email me

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GPA: Overall - 4.0 Science - 4.0
Second year student at ASU majoring in Biology
Applying to Midwestern Glendale Campus, University of Arizona and maybe Southern Nevada