Just found out I didn't pass a OSCE, next steps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I mean, do you have anything to lose if you appeal? Seems like a low risk/high reward in favor of appealing and maybe getting another set of eyes on your notes. My colleagues and I all have different ideas of what makes a good note, so you may have just gotten someone who didn't like your style.

Reactions: 1 user
I mean, do you have anything to lose if you appeal? Seems like a low risk/high reward in favor of appealing and maybe getting another set of eyes on your notes. My colleagues and I all have different ideas of what makes a good note, so you may have just gotten someone who didn't like your style.
I guess besides possibly irritating the class directors, no.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school, forgetting a component or two from OLDCARTS isn't a big deal but it's an automatic fail if you forget to ask about past medical/surgical history, allergies, medications etc even if you did everything else perfectly. Do you think that's probably what happened to you?

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

At my school, forgetting a component or two from OLDCARTS isn't a big deal but it's an automatic fail if you forget to ask about past medical/surgical history, allergies, medications etc even if you did everything else perfectly. Do you think that's probably what happened to you?

No I asked about those.

Automatic fail? Yikes.

Reactions: 1 users
I got a terrible grade on a OSCE once that I didn’t believe was valid (not a fail but pretty bad). I watched it with my faculty mentor and he agreed that the grade I got was BS. I appealed and ended up with an A lol. I think you have nothing to lose here by appealing. In fact, i think it’s a must if you truly think you didn’t earn the F

Last edited by a moderator:
This happened to me too in my first year. They would not disclose the reason I failed and I had no chance to make it up. It went on my transcript but I’ve only been asked about it at 2 out of 14 interviews so I can’t imagine it will be a huge deal. Appeal to your admin if you can.

I would appeal.

Failing people without giving appropriate detailed feedback is BS and something that needs to stop. You aren't paying a ****load of money to a medical school for it to be useless (and oftentimes, it is).

I agree it's relatively low risk/potentially high reward.

Reactions: 5 users
I would appeal.

Failing people without giving appropriate detailed feedback is BS and something that needs to stop. You aren't paying a ****load of money to a medical school for it to be useless (and oftentimes, it is).
*step 2 CS has entered the chat*

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
This happened to me basically, except they said genuinely false things in my feedback, I emailed every single person on the useful contacts list they give us at the start of the year and I fought this for my whole summer break, a lot of the relevant staff agreed with me after providing feedback comparisons with my friends (anonymously of course and their consent). A meeting was setup between myself and the head of OSCE's to discuss my individual stations, I even told him the information for said station which he said I didn't collect etc. He basically said look if what your telling me is true then just do the re-sit examination and I won't put this on your record because it does seem strange. I recited every single patient history etc to him during our meeting every single relevant fact. I ended up doing the resit which were far more complex physical exams and histories relative to the original OSCE and I scored all 90s.

Man your lucky yours are recorded, mine aren't and during this whole situation I fought extremely hard to get them recorded for the coming years.

TLDR, we all find out they culled my class by about 22~ people which is ~20% of the class as they lost a 3rd year placement location so they couldn't support that many students anymore.

If you truly believe you were wronged fight it to the death.

Last edited:
No I asked about those.
But you said the issue was with your note, not what you said in the room - did you document all of those?

Rather than going straight to an appeal, I would go to the course director or whoever was responsible for assigning you the grade and basically say "hey, I was surprised to find that I didn't pass - would it be possible to review my video and note together, and get some more detailed feedback so I can do better next time?" And then go from there. It might be that you review everything together and realize you missed something important, or maybe you didn't and the course director will see that. You also need to ease back on the attitude that this is just some BS, arbitrary decision to fail you - even if that's true, walking in with that attitude is not going to do you any favors. Showing some humility and recognition that you almost certainly still have something to learn from this SP encounter will help you much more than going in with the idea that you're going to prove this person wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
But you said the issue was with your note, not what you said in the room - did you document all of those?

Rather than going straight to an appeal, I would go to the course director or whoever was responsible for assigning you the grade and basically say "hey, I was surprised to find that I didn't pass - would it be possible to review my video and note together, and get some more detailed feedback so I can do better next time?" And then go from there. It might be that you review everything together and realize you missed something important, or maybe you didn't and the course director will see that. You also need to ease back on the attitude that this is just some BS, arbitrary decision to fail you - even if that's true, walking in with that attitude is not going to do you any favors. Showing some humility and recognition that you almost certainly still have something to learn from this SP encounter will help you much more than going in with the idea that you're going to prove this person wrong.

OP already reviewed it with his mentor who had the checklist for the history, which is where he lost the points. Seems like OP already took the necessary initial steps and it’s time for an appeal. I’d like to imagine someone is going to approach the situation with a different choice of words in person and a in professional environment than on an anonymous forum that was essentially created for venting.

OP, stick up for yourself and get this straightened out. As many posts above have testified, appeals are often effective with OSCEs and the risk is worth the reward of not failing and repeating.

OP already reviewed it with his mentor who had the checklist for the history, which is where he lost the points. Seems like OP already took the necessary initial steps and it’s time for an appeal. I’d like to imagine someone is going to approach the situation with a different choice of words in person and a in professional environment than on an anonymous forum that was essentially created for venting.

OP, stick up for yourself and get this straightened out. As many posts above have testified, appeals are often effective with OSCEs and the risk is worth the reward of not failing and repeating.
OP, correct me if I'm wrong - OP spoke to his mentor, not the course director or anyone who actually has power over the grade. They also said they failed not because of anything they did in the room, but because of history "note taking" - and OP doesn't mention having reviewed the note with their mentor, just the video. I'm essentially suggesting to elevate this to the next level, which is not appealing the grade through a formal process, but rather having a conversation with someone who has the ability to review OP's performance and make changes to the grade. This might get the grade changed without going through the formal appeal process, which avoids the issue of OP getting labeled a troublemaker by the professor/school. If OP and their mentor still feel a grade change is warranted after that conversation, or if there's still not a clear explanation as to the failure, it's absolutely worth appealing.

And having been through med school, I've seen plenty of folks get worked up and emotional about missed points or negative feedback and come across poorly as a result, even if they were right and their intentions were good - myself included. It happens to all of us. That was meant to be a gentle reminder to OP to try and keep the very understandable frustration they're feeling in check when they need to, not at all an indictment of OP's personality or professionalism. OP, I apologize if it came off that way - I was simply trying to be helpful based on what I've seen in similar situations when I was in med school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
OP, correct me if I'm wrong - OP spoke to his mentor, not the course director or anyone who actually has power over the grade. They also said they failed not because of anything they did in the room, but because of history "note taking" - and OP doesn't mention having reviewed the note with their mentor, just the video. I'm essentially suggesting to elevate this to the next level, which is not appealing the grade through a formal process, but rather having a conversation with someone who has the ability to review OP's performance and make changes to the grade. This might get the grade changed without going through the formal appeal process, which avoids the issue of OP getting labeled a troublemaker by the professor/school. If OP and their mentor still feel a grade change is warranted after that conversation, or if there's still not a clear explanation as to the failure, it's absolutely worth appealing.

And having been through med school, I've seen plenty of folks get worked up and emotional about missed points or negative feedback and come across poorly as a result, even if they were right and their intentions were good - myself included. It happens to all of us. That was meant to be a gentle reminder to OP to try and keep the very understandable frustration they're feeling in check when they need to, not at all an indictment of OP's personality or professionalism. OP, I apologize if it came off that way - I was simply trying to be helpful based on what I've seen in similar situations when I was in med school.

I respect that. I was thinking the mentor was part of the faculty that helps with the course. At my school, we have mentors assigned to us for the course that aren’t directly involved in our grading but provide formative feedback and know what the grading criteria are so they’re perspective on the fairness of the grade is generally reliable. I guess it depends on the set up of the course

Status
Not open for further replies.