(Just for fun) Superficial reasons for wanting to be a Vet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
One word: Abscesses. It is soooooo very satisfying to see what comes out. Instant gratification. Anyone with me...or am I just really really weird?

One of the techs at the clinic loved to squeeze, scrub and clean everything just because was satisfying.

If anything, there is that little smug internal knowledge and the little devil sitting on your shoulder that says "sheesh, what friggin *****S!" when you hear Aunt Mary and Gladys in the next booth at the local diner discussing poodle diets and BARF. You know the diner ... the one you stopped at for coffee and a quick bite to eat at 7a.m. after that early morning c-section.

And I'll REALLY be the one laughing as I'll be the one getting paid out the wazoo by Aunt Mary and Gladys for holistic nutritional consulting when and if I specialize in holistic nutrition getting paid twice as much as you without having to do a 3 AM c-section! :p:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
And I'll REALLY be the one laughing as I'll be the one getting paid out the wazoo by Aunt Mary and Gladys for holistic nutritional consulting when and if I specialize in holistic nutrition getting paid twice as much as you without having to do a 3 AM c-section!

ZZZZZZING! :p

I am also tall and have had this problem. Have you tried MOBB brand scrubs? I actually ended up with some that were TOO long! :eek:

Completely agree about scrub pants! I can never find ones that are long enough and I refuse to have my butt show like a lot of the ACTs that I've worked with, just to make them that much closer to being long enough!:boom: When did they add this one and the monkey?!

I want the "Dr." before my name. I also want to be the EDUCATED crazy dog girl. (similar to what Kara said :))

Aaaand, I just LOVE cleaning ears. :love:

I want the "Dr." before my name. I also want to be the EDUCATED crazy dog girl. (similar to what Kara said :))

Aaaand, I just LOVE cleaning ears. :love:

I'm not the only ear crazy one then?! Something so satisfying about clean ears : )

Hey, on that line of thought, does vet med have the Ear Nose Throat specialty? Can you get board cert. in that?

WhtsThFrequency- you mean words like these?

I should note, may not be safe for work due to a little colorful language...

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=OGXn6HuCodE[/YOUTUBE]

1. I think being the educated crazy squirrel lady would make me sound a little less crazy.

2. Wearing jeans/scrubs everyday will make me comfy.

3. And b/c my ex always called himself a "Dr." but he had an EdD. We all know what EdDs are worth. I want to send him a buisness card with my name on it and let him know I'm a real doc.....jerk! :D

StealthDog, I loved that! Thanks for the post! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also tall and have had this problem. Have you tried MOBB brand scrubs? I actually ended up with some that were TOO long! :eek:

I haven't. I'll have to try them. Thanks!

This is by the same people, I don't know how to embed it

It is like having an entire semester of Pharm in a minute and a half. Seizure time ahh! The last line is HILARIOUS but warning for a naughty word

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXROnzpsrlg&feature=related

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

As I am sitting here memorizing way too many useless drug facts for the pharm exam on monday, this was the greatest thing!!!! I want to be an orthopedic surgeon, too...

that very well may be my tag line for the whole semester...

And I'll REALLY be the one laughing as I'll be the one getting paid out the wazoo by Aunt Mary and Gladys for holistic nutritional consulting when and if I specialize in holistic nutrition getting paid twice as much as you without having to do a 3 AM c-section! :p:laugh:

Its not about the money.

But making it about the money is certainly a superficial reason to be a vet.

:)

Valium.

And getting to meet all the big goofy dogs.

Well, Ok, and gross stuff.

Its not about the money.

But making it about the money is certainly a superficial reason to be a vet

Wait. You can actually make money being a vet? Sweet! Now I don't feel so bad for passing up med school:hardy:

thank you, that was beautiful!:laugh:

hehe

There really aren't as many gay (male) vet students as I thought there would be...I'm the only gay guy in my class, out of ~25.

YOUR class on the other hand, I can see your concern...especially since those numbers keep turning :rolleyes:

That's ok though, I didn't come to vet school to meet gay guys..I came to meet all the hot flame dames ;)

oh i laughed on so many levels with that one. can i be a hot flame dame?? lol

since i'm way behind, and deanna got to say "money" first, and someone else said hot animal guys... i'll go with... FAME. lime light and red carpet style. muahaha.

I don't know if this counts as superficial or just practical, but I look forward to the day that I don't have to pay vet bills for my own pets anymore!

I second that! Especially since one of my cats is prone to eating anything and everything, no matter how clean I keep my apartment. I learned her obsession with elastic the hard way when she had to have exploratory surgery to remove virtually an entire package of hairties from her stomach. Still to this day I have no idea where she got them. :confused:

I second that! Especially since one of my cats is prone to eating anything and everything, no matter how clean I keep my apartment. I learned her obsession with elastic the hard way when she had to have exploratory surgery to remove virtually an entire package of hairties from her stomach. Still to this day I have no idea where she got them. :confused:

My cat prefers plastic bags. Its awful! I keep things by my bed to toss in her direction in the middle of the night when she wakes me up chewing on my trash bag :mad:. Luckily, she likes chewing them the best, so the pieces she swallows tend to be very small and go all the way through her. I know, not good, but there's only so much you can do.

I agree! My horse managed to rack up $13,000 in 6 months this year in vet bills. Gotta love him though!:)

One word: Abscesses. It is soooooo very satisfying to see what comes out. Instant gratification. Anyone with me...or am I just really really weird?

Speaking of abscesses... I saw an awesome one today! There was a dog that had an eye enucleation surgery a while ago (at least a year) and he'd been scratching at that eye recently. It was red and irritated and swollen, so we shave it and the vet goes to scrub it with betadine and SPLAT pus and blood just shot out. Best thing to happen to me this week.

the most superficial reason I can think of: meeting guys who love animals.

I haven't met a single guy my age in all the hours of volunteering, working at clinics, etc. I think it'd be cool to find a guy that volunteers with animals and works in clinics. Because I've never met one so far (unless you're counting the guy doctors).... just us women folk doing the volunteering! And I've been at 3 shelters, several events, and all that other animal experience.

Now before you start judging me, ; ) you have to notice that was the most superficial reason I could think of!

I met a guy at the humane society just 2 weeks after I started. He helped me and stuff. I haven't seen him since and we don't talk or anything but I know he volunteers there a lot....and he "seemed" straight.

I met a guy at the humane society just 2 weeks after I started. He helped me and stuff. I haven't seen him since and we don't talk or anything but I know he volunteers there a lot....and he "seemed" straight.

heh, how's your gaydar? ;)

Heres one for all the techs and asst.s out there. I wanna be a vet because Ive been a tech for so long...

Im tired of explaining what a licensed veterinary technician is/does.:confused:

and I LOVE ANIMALS..awwwww. :love:

I would have loovvved to put these on my essay but for obvious reasons I didnt.

Heres one for all the techs and asst.s out there. I wanna be a vet because Ive been a tech for so long...

a. I am older than all the doctors and the clients already think Im the Dr. when I enter the room.:idea:

b. Im tired of training new vet students how to do their jobs!:cool:

c. Im sick:barf: of working for doctors who dont have a clue about how to run a veterinary hospital (ie management wise). (okay well this one wont be better until I open my own place but you get the idea)

d. I can extract teeth better than any Dr. Ive ever worked for.:smuggrin:

e. Im tired of explaining what a licensed veterinary technician is/does.:confused:

and f. I LOVE ANIMALS..awwwww. :love:

I would have loovvved to put these on my essay but for obvious reasons I didnt.

wait... you seem to arrogant to want to be a dvm, are you sure you are posting on the correct forum?

:laugh:

that's alright, i'll love the hell out of it for the next 6 months!

Sorry I was joking..I thought that was what we were doing on this one..Guess I misunderstood.

Sorry I was joking..I thought that was what we were doing on this one..Guess I misunderstood.

No worries, LVT2DVM, I thought it was funny. I think the arrogant comment might have been directed more as a dig against the pre-allo people, not you. Welcome to the boards. :)

Cool thanks for "getting it" ..I tend to have a weird sarcastic sense of humor. You kinda get that after working in this field for years. Like the ability to eat a sandwich over a necropsy. LOL