Just curious.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Presadog

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what is the most amount of Med schools someone has applied too in one semester. Has anyone applied to ones just because they were easy to get in? Thanks ZO

Members don't see this ad.

i think everybody needs to have safety schools... anyway.. i think someone on the SDN applied to 44 schools.... exmike, i think that's what his ID is.... it's fascinating.. you should check out his site

i think most people will tell you to apply to at least about 10 schools, including all of your state schools, some "reach" schools and some "safety" schools, as well as any schools you think you might have a good shot at (such as schools who accept a high percentage of out-of-state). although the further along in this process we get, the more we'll tell you that there are no safety schools anyway.

keep in mind, the more schools you apply to, the more expensive it is. i kinda wish my husband had applied to fewer schools (than 10), (isn't hindsight great - he wouldn't have applied to gtown!) but i think most adcoms will think you don't really want to go to medical school if you're only applying to a few.

it's all a balance. find the right balance for you, your financial situation, your likelihood of acceptance at your top choices, and your peace of mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with futuredrswife here... you apply to what you can afford. I wanted to get into a school near my boyfriend (4 yrs strong) who was also applying to law school at the same time. We were going to pick and choose based on where we both got into. As a result, the list of med schools now totals 26. I picked cities that had good med and law programs close by. It's been expensive, no doubt, but the end will justify the means I hope (1 acceptace so far!!!)

its sorta depends on what state you live in.

the people who apply to 30-50 schools are usually going to be students from california. (like me! oh wait...thats nothing to brag about cause im broke)

the numbers are going to vary because people from different regions have different options to think about.

I know some people from the midwest that only applied to 3 schools and they all get accepted because they apply to their state school and stuff.

so yeah. it all depends on your geographical and financial situation.