just curious

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

md2bknox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
So I have done a lot of research? I have been dealing with some situations during my career as a student that has currently led me to my gpa of a 2.09 overall, I am not applying for atleast a year. More than likely I will not graduate undergrad until next fall. Have not finished all of my sciences, finished chem 1 with a C, and the lab with a B+, bio 1 lab with a C. Dropped bio 1 cause I could see what was going to happen and it wasn't good. I think I want to try the master's route because I need time to heal from these undergrad wounds, I see a lot people doing postbac. My problem with postbac is that I not getting a degree, might not get financial aid, it's not a gurantee, and you have to take MCAT ( I would like to take the mcat once and do fairly well to excellent rather than poorly just to get into a program and have that on my record too). Tell me if I'm making sense about this stuff. I want to get a master's in public health. With all that background information here the questions! I'm freaking out about my next moves here, I am going to be a doctor just need to figure out how!!!:scared: fyi i haven't taken the mcats.

-Few questions are post bac programs better than master's?
-Would it be better to do just a post bac program or master's program while finishing my sciences?
-Would it better to stay where I am and try and finish my science or just take some classes to elevate my gpa and finish my science classes later?
-Say I do finish out and I bring my gpa up will it matter to COMs that I improved? Will COMS look at each class (not sciences) and see that I got this bad grade or will they look at the individual and say this is her overall gpa and thats it? To clarify this question do they look at overall as a whole or piece by piece?

Members don't see this ad.

They look at both your overall GPA and trends that it takes. If you show an upward trend, they will notice it. Saying that, you still need a decent GPA, IE an upward trend does not compensate for a 3.0. However, a 3.4 and a strong upward trend would probably work.

You are going to need a GPA of at least 3.4 (unless you have a list of EC's like godknowswhat), and with that GPA you are going to have to apply to a large number of schools. Getting that GPA is going to take more than a year, I'm afraid. I'm not sure exactly how many classes you've taken which affects how your GPA changes but I could be wrong. You may want to take the time to sit down and work out the grades you are going to need to get to a GPA, and find out if it is possible. There are GPA calculators on the internet that are good for this.

You're going to be planning on doing something, post bac or masters, that is just the facts. As for which one, I'll leave that to some one who has more experience with those programs.

To be realistic, you may want to question if you are completely sure of the path you are on. It is going to be an expensive, and more importantly, a very difficult one.

They look at both your overall GPA and trends that it takes. If you show an upward trend, they will notice it. Saying that, you still need a decent GPA, IE an upward trend does not compensate for a 3.0. However, a 3.4 and a strong upward trend would probably work.

You are going to need a GPA of at least 3.4 (unless you have a list of EC's like godknowswhat), and with that GPA you are going to have to apply to a large number of schools. Getting that GPA is going to take more than a year, I'm afraid. I'm not sure exactly how many classes you've taken which affects how your GPA changes but I could be wrong. You may want to take the time to sit down and work out the grades you are going to need to get to a GPA, and find out if it is possible. There are GPA calculators on the internet that are good for this.

You're going to be planning on doing something, post bac or masters, I'm fairly sure of that. As for which one, I'll leave that to some one who has more experience with those programs.

To be realistic, you may want to question if you are completely sure of the path you are on. It is going to be an expensive, and more importantly, a very difficult one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,
So I have done a lot of research? I have been dealing with some situations during my career as a student that has currently led me to my gpa of a 2.09 overall, I am not applying for atleast a year. More than likely I will not graduate undergrad until next fall. Have not finished all of my sciences, finished chem 1 with a C, and the lab with a B+, bio 1 lab with a C. Dropped bio 1 cause I could see what was going to happen and it wasn't good. I think I want to try the master's route because I need time to heal from these undergrad wounds, I see a lot people doing postbac. My problem with postbac is that I not getting a degree, might not get financial aid, it's not a gurantee, and you have to take MCAT ( I would like to take the mcat once and do fairly well to excellent rather than poorly just to get into a program and have that on my record too). Tell me if I'm making sense about this stuff. I want to get a master's in public health. With all that background information here the questions! I'm freaking out about my next moves here, I am going to be a doctor just need to figure out how!!!:scared: fyi i haven't taken the mcats.

-Would it be better to do just a post bac program or master's program while finishing my sciences?
-Would it better to stay where I am and try and finish my science or just take some classes to elevate my gpa and finish my science classes later?
-Say I do finish out and I bring my gpa up will it matter to COMs that I improved? Will COMS look at each class (not sciences) and see that I got this bad grade or will they look at the individual and say this is her overall gpa and thats it? To clarify this question do they look at overall as a whole or piece by piece?

An MPH is not going to make up for that GPA, nor is some other graduate degree. One thing that you might want to try that would actually probably be the quickest route for you to becoming a doctor is retaking all the science classes (either at this school or a new one such as a postbac) in which you did poorly. Then if you apply to osteopathic (DO) schools, those classes will completely replace your old grades and make for a new, better GPA. If you are set on allopathic (MD) school, you pretty much have to do the same thing, but it will take more years of grade rehabilitation. If you are not willing to take out loans for the postbac, perhaps look into getting a second bachelors? Also, adcoms will look at the trend, at the overall gpa, at the overall science gpa, and perhaps grades in specific prerequisite classes.

EDIT: I saw you posted this in the pre-allo "What are my chances?" sub-forum. The advice they gave you there was great.

Last edited:
in your case, yes, because you need to get that ugrad gpa UP as high as you can. post-baccs would let you take undergrad courses which is what gets evaluated when you are applying for med school.
see above
i think this depends on how many courses you still have left (bcpm). you mentioned bio, but have you taken gen chem, ochem, physics, and labs?
i think you should retake some of the courses you havent done so well in (B- or lower in this case) and ace them. then, i'd look for a good postbacc that doesnt require an mcat and then i'd take the rest of the pre-reqs (or repeat the rest of the ones you didnt do too well on) when you can just focus on your courses.

they look at both overall and piece by piece. overall counts the most, but then they look at trends. your science grades (bcpm), everything else (all other- AO), as well as overall are broken up by year.

regarless of how they look at grades, you are going to want to ace everything from here on out. it's a daunting challenge, yes, but you never know what you are capable of until you try.

and again, this really isnt the right forum. try the others like post bacc, non trad, etc., for additional advice.

good luck.