This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mraeok

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just submitted my AACOMAS to 15 schools (I've worked full time during undergrad to afford uni tuition and HELLA application fees) and I'm still on the fence about throwing my hat in the ring for a few allopathic schools. My father is an MD and isn't pleased about me applying DO even though I think it's right for me. I'd of course love to matriculate traditional but it might not be in the cards for me.

I'm a rising senior Biochemistry major/Art History minor at a CA school (OH Resident - military dependent)

3.6 cGPA
3.35 sGPA (again I've worked 40 hours a week as an undergrad to afford school which I note in my applications)

600+ hours of research fellowship experience at UCLA and LMU
250+ hours shadowing (100+ hours clinical volunteer experience 150+ hours non-clinical volunteer experience)
50+ hours shadowing experience
Full time work experience during undergrad
University Honors Program
300+ hours as a Chemistry I/II/Cell Culture TA
5 strong LOR (2 science faculty, 1 theology prof, research supervisor, DR) and committee letter
Study Abroad
GI Bill Recipient
Military Dependent
Arrupe Scholar
Bilingual

My downfall is my 503 MCAT. I was quite honestly so embarrassed because I expected to do far better and studied quite well IMO. I'm sure I could do better if I'd study and take it again. I'd ideally score higher and be a better applicant although I'm currently working full time as a microbio researcher at UCLA and as a barista to pay the bills. I'd rather not take a gap year to take the MCAT again. Would it be worth it to spend the money applying to some MDs or should I just stick to DO?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I just submitted my AACOMAS to 15 schools (I've worked full time during undergrad to afford uni tuition and HELLA application fees) and I'm still on the fence about throwing my hat in the ring for a few allopathic schools. My father is an MD and isn't pleased about me applying DO even though I think it's right for me. I'd of course love to matriculate traditional but it might not be in the cards for me.

I'm a rising senior Biochemistry major/Art History minor at a CA school (OH Resident - military dependent)

3.6 cGPA
3.35 sGPA (again I've worked 40 hours a week as an undergrad to afford school which I note in my applications)

250+ hours shadowing (100+ hours clinical volunteer experience 150+ hours non-clinical volunteer experience)
5 strong LOR (2 science faculty, 1 theology prof, research supervisor, DR) and committee letter
Study Abroad
GI Bill Recipient
Military Dependent
Arrupe Scholar
Bilingual

My downfall is my 503 MCAT. I was quite honestly so embarrassed because I expected to do far better and studied quite well IMO. I'm sure I could do better if I'd study and take it again. I'd ideally score higher and be a better applicant although I'm currently working full time as a microbio researcher at UCLA and as a barista to pay the bills. I'd rather not take a gap year to take the MCAT again. Would it be worth it to spend the money applying to some MDs or should I just stick to DO?
not worth with those stats. I have a much higher gpa than you but predicted mcat around the same. I just know way too many people with 3.9 gpa and 508-510 mcat barely getting 1 interview. Waste of time & money imo

not worth with those stats. I have a much higher gpa than you but predicted mcat around the same. I just know way too many people with 3.9 gpa and 508-510 mcat barely getting 1 interview. Waste of time & money imo

You're probably right. My uni is known for lower GPAs because of their grading scales and profs so that is slightly in my favor but I shouldn't waste the money. I'll need it for secondaries.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're probably right. My uni is known for lower GPAs because of their grading scales and profs so that is slightly in my favor but I shouldn't waste the money. I'll need it for secondaries.

Are you URM? If not, chances for MD are slim. Apply DO broadly you will get in somewhere.

Why not retake the mcat? If you can get a 510+ you have a decent shot at MD if you apply broadly to 25 or so schools, especially with your unique ECs. Anyways DO is always a good backup either way at the end of the day you get to be a physician.

Some more informed posters may give you an edge if you are a veteran, although not sure how much that will help.
Apply to some low MD or maybe better yet add 5 more DO options to better your chances.

Reactions: 1 user
People on here have reported MD accepts with the same (or similar) MCAT as yours and lower GPAs. It is honestly a gamble, so if you're in a tight spot financially skip out on it, if you want to take a shot then construct a wise school list and go for it. If you're strapped financially, though, I'd say skip it, unless the MD is that important to you.

I'd apply to all your Ohio MD programs but I'd leave it there.. the combo of that sGPA and low MCAT will really make it tough for MD. But if you'd always wonder, throw some MD apps in.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all,

3.6 cGPA

Study Abroad
GI Bill Recipient
Military Dependent
Arrupe Scholar
Bilingual

M.D.? Not with that MCAT

Reactions: 1 users
Apply to your state schools. You’ll regret it if you don’t. I almost didn’t because my MCAT was terrible (worse than yours), but I got in. There is a lot more to an application than just your stats.

You never know unless you try!

Hi all,

3.6 cGPA

Study Abroad
GI Bill Recipient
Military Dependent
Arrupe Scholar
Bilingual

I was in a similar position as you and only applied to my state MD schools (there's a lot in my state) and go 2 interviews. However, you would have to submit it like yesterday. If you're considering it at this point, and would not be happy at a DO school or are gonna say "well if I'd just retaken my MCAT", wait a year and retake your MCAT for 510+. If you're fine with being a physician either way, just skip it.

503 MCAT is unlikely for MD. However, some of the Ohio public MD schools (Wright State, Toledo, NEOMED) have low average MCATs in the 504-507 range so it would be worth applying there.

Reactions: 1 user
I had similar stats to you and got into an MD.

So yeah, I’d at least give it a shot.

Reactions: 1 users
MD not happening with a 503 and a average/low GPA
The good news is you'll have multiple interview invites on the osteopathic front

Good luck!

Last edited:
Honestly, I witnessed some people with bizarre stats get in last cycle. If you have the extra money, apply state MD.

Edit: might not be the case with Cali schools but still would if I had extra money. It’s a gamble, who knows. The odds are definitely against you on the MD front.