Just an FYI about LORs for extreme non-trads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stayathomemom

Now with 100% more Stay At Home™!
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been so worried about LORs since I began this journey because my dream school has specific "requirements" on their admissions website:

Minimum requirements for all applicants are as follows:

• Letters from three college or university teaching faculty from any department. It is recommended that at least one be from a science department teaching faculty member. A letter packet containing at least three individual teaching faculty letters or a premedical committee evaluation report (Committee Letter) may be submitted in lieu of the three separate recommendations.
  • Applicants who have been out of college for five years or more may submit two letters from employers and one from a teaching faculty member.

Well, this was problematic for me since I've been mostly out of school for 13 years, and I haven't had paid employment since 2006. So I called the admissions office today and they told me that these are just guidelines, and that if I have a strong set of letters from other experiences (like volunteer or shadowing experiences), it would suffice. I am relieved, to say the least.

The moral of the story is, if you are unsure or nervous about any part of your application, just call the admissions department!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I have been so worried about LORs since I began this journey because my dream school has specific "requirements" on their admissions website:

Well, this was problematic for me since I've been mostly out of school for 13 years, and I haven't had paid employment since 2006. So I called the admissions office today and they told me that these are just guidelines, and that if I have a strong set of letters from other experiences (like volunteer or shadowing experiences), it would suffice. I am relieved, to say the least.

The moral of the story is, if you are unsure or nervous about any part of your application, just call the admissions department!

it may suffice but it’s not optimal. You may be calling literally every school and begging for them to accept your letters. I had a similar problem and had to scramble for letters. Best case scenario if your an ultratrad is to take a recent class and get letters from them.

I believe gonnif and cataylstic had some good advice for letters on SDN. Search through those for more advice.

Reading your description I thought you were a bum or some drunk ungrateful ***** living on parents allowance and not working since 2006, but spending time smoking crap and listening rap. Turns out you are a stay at home mom lol.

Reading your description I thought you were a bum or some drunk ungrateful ***** living on parents allowance and not working since 2006, but spending time smoking crap and listening rap. Turns out you are a stay at home mom lol.

:laugh: Username checks out!

Reactions: 1 users