Just a question for you Veterinarians/Veterinary students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JWheeler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know if any of you have some tips or pointers for me. I am a 24 year old male college student at California State University, Fresno. I just started the long path to becoming a DVM, and would like to know what I can do to improve my chances of being accepted into a Vet school. I have an A.S. Degree which isn't much and have just started taking the required classes to get into Vet school. Currently i have a 3.4 GPA (i know its not the greatest) and i was a Veterinary Technician for 5 Years after high school. My issue is I suck at Chemistry, but know a tremendous amount about being a DVM and small animals in general. I've sat in on 1000's of surgeries, casted/splinted limbs, x rays, pulled blood, urinary/intravenous catheters, just everything that is involved with the Veterinary field, and even got to neuter my dog! But i can't understand Chemistry if my life depended on it! I just left my Chem class where i did poorly on a big chemistry test which prompted me to hop on here and seek some support lol. What are the chances or what should i do to improve my ability to be accepted into a vet school preferably Wisconsin State University, Madison. I have the AVMA handbook of requirements, but i was just looking for additional things that will help persuade and show the schools review committee just how serious and important this is to me. I appreciate everyone for taking the time to read this and help me out! Have a great St. Patricks day!

James

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm gotta define "poorly". Poorly as in a D, or poorly as in a B- or something.... the former is definitely a problem, the latter is not. A 3.4 honestly isn't a bad GPA either, don't "not the greatest" yourself ;) I would say your other experiences MORE than make up for any perceived GPA defecits. Have you done any large animal work or research in addition to SA ? Having diverse experience is important in applications, just as much as in-depth experience.

I got accepted with a 3.4, so it's not too terrible.

It sounds like you're on the right track though. Not sure I would mention in an interview or some such that you neutered your own dog. Pretty sure that's illegal, vet supervision or no, though I do know that it happens in some clinics.

Members don't see this ad :)
A GPA of 3.4 is not too bad. It's around average. The admission's committee looks at many other things including your practical experience. Have you tried getting a chemistry tutor? Most schools offer free tutoring for students. I would also like to advise you not to put all your eggs in one basket with University of Wisconsin. Since you are attending school in CA I am assuming you would be applying as a out of state student to Wisconsin. Wisconsin only accepts 20 OOS students each year. I encourage you to look into some other programs and look at the number of OOS students accepted each year and only apply to those schools that take a lot of OOS students. I definitely think it's possible for you to get in. The important thing is not to give up. One bad grade doesn't ruin your chances.

@ Frequency - I am pretty sure i just flunked the test. I am currently getting into large animal now. Along with my chem class im taking other animal science classes such as Dairy Cattle Production, Feeds and Feeding etc I also got invited to a friends ranch last weekend and got to castrate and brand bull calves which was neat.

@Hopeful - Haha yeah, i definitely will not be telling that to the board. I wouldnt want my old boss getting into trouble. At least it was my dog lol, but everything went well he said i was exceptionally good!

@Altaira - I see a tutor every sunday and go to free tutoring on campus. The problem with this test was able to ace the practice exam and did some studying on what he said most of the problems would be on, then the test today maybe 3 problems out of the whole test were similar to the practice exam.... the real test was 10x harder... It's irritating and frustrating especially after how much time i have put into studying. I put in around 20 hours a week, plus the other 10 units im taking. My plan was to move to Wisconsin next fall and get residency, and then finish up my requirements there. What do you think would be the best way to go??

Appreciate your input, keep it coming!!

Tell the tutor you need to 'kick it up a notch' because if you're paying for a tutor, you should be walking into that exam almost about ready to chew it up and spit it out. Or, at least not having your rear handed to you... Hunt down a new tutor if need-be.

If you're motivated badly enough, and you can find someone to teach it to you so you can understand it, you can do general and organic chem. I know it's not easy (it sure as heck wasn't for me) but don't throw in the towel. Find a better teacher. Unfortunately it may require an outside tutor, but that may be what you need to get that grade and know your stuff.

For example, my organic chem tutor met with us weekly (sometimes an extra session if we had an exam coming), and it was orgo boot camp. He had us doing problems from other colleges and universities, and some he'd make up. I worked incredibly hard, and was probably more intimidated by the tutor than I was my actual instructor, but my tutor was my REAL teacher. But because the tutor was so hard on us, pushing us to KNOW orgo, we did really well at whatever was thrown at us on the exams. I had PILES and stacks of notes from him, and problems to practice at home. Maybe you don't need to be pushed to that extreme - but just an example.

Ditto what altaira said. Do your homework and look at the schools that accept the most Out Of Staters. If you can obtain residency for a school, yes, that's super. But apply to more than 1 if you can - the one you get residency for, and some more that take larger #'s of OOS'ers.

The 3.4 GPA isn't bad. If you can rock the GRE, that would be a huge bonus.

The large animal experience is a great thing to have under your belt to apply with. Keep that up if you can, since you have the smallie xp too.

Start thinking about who knows you well enough to write you an excellent letter of recommendation. You will need three key people for that, so definitely maintain your contacts and cultivate.

:luck: