MD & DO June 29 or july 22 MCAT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inspiringdocter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently registered for June 29th MCAT. I took AAMC practice test 2 yesterday and only scored a 501. Now I am debating pushing it back to July 22 ( the next earliest exam day). I want to apply to MD and DO schools. Would it be considered to late of an MCAT? I will try to get my application verified by the time my scores do come out. WHat should I do. I have till tonight to decide.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I think you should be fine. A July 22nd test date means that your score will be released August 22nd. This is still considered a good time for D.O. programs, and it should be okay for M.D. as well.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I would take it sooner rather then later unless you are in classes right now. Practice tests are fine and all, but they are not the end all be all predictors of how you will do that day. It is better to have a score in your hands and be able to evaluate your options (retake, apply MD, apply DO, or apply both) then wait and limit your options to taking a gap year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Having a score in your hand is not the most important thing. Applying to medical school is a long journey and taking the MCAT when you are not 100% prepared is NOT a good idea. If you feel that you will not be ready to perform your best on June 29th. Push it back. If you are not ready by July 22nd. Push it back again. Taking a gap year is not a bad thing.

The best option is to take it when you are ready, even if that means the later date. If you get a bad score, you could completely ruin your chances at M.D. programs.

EDIT: Also keep in mind that although the AAMC practice tests are not completely indicative of your real score, they are EXTREMELY close. If you took it in real time, you'll more than likely get around that score.

Thank you for your responses. I decided to push it back to july 22nd. The section i most struggle with is the CARS section. Any tips on that?

Unfortunately, there aren't many tips that I can give for CARS. I can only suggest doing as many CARS passages as possible under a timed setting so you don't run out of time during the real exam.

People that perform well in the CARS section are usually avid readers; they read high level literature for fun. This is honestly the best way to prepare for CARS. The more text that you are exposed to, the better your comprehension will be. With it, your speed of reading also increases.

If this isn't you, then I wouldn't suggest doing this in the one month you have left. It is better to do practice problems and work on timing. If you do decide to push the MCAT back further and take a gap year, then I would highly recommend picking up reading as your hobby.

Good luck.