June 18, 2009 MCAT Official Page

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drudge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

This is just a post for all of us out there who are taking the June 18, 2009 MCAT Test!

First of all, I have been trying for an hour to get in, but the MCAT Registration site says

"Thank You for Your Patience" blah blah blah... wait for your turn!

Anyone else getting that out there?

*** UPDATE: Just got off the phone with MCAT folks and they said not to leave the webpage, or else you will lose your spot and they will open the registration link before noon.

********************** UPDATE 2: I just got in after having waiting since 8:05 AM this morning EST. I had turned on both my laptops and both the home computers. Just wait and you will get in. So, registered at 10:40AM

Once you sign in, everything is just normal! good luck!

*************************** AFTER TAKING TEST---

So friends, took the MCAT on June 18th @ 2PM

I signed in at 1:20PM, but was seated at 2:15PM, they had computer issues, but there were people who came after me and they went ahead of me, made me kind of nervous.

Overall, I felt okay, not good and not that bad.

PS - Some parts were good, but OMG, there were some where I was like, what the hell is this?

VR - WTF? Where do these passages crop up from? They are the most random passages. The one about Thoreau, Whitman was the most awkward one. However, the stupid passage on sperm whale topped in insanity and utter rubbish.

WR - The second prompt that related to dishonesty and friendship. How weird and awkward? I ended up writing about prostitution.

BS - O.M.G.! This was hard! This was harder than the PS in my view. There were some passages that were short, like 2 of them. But, there were one or two that were just tooooo long and weirdly detailed. The one with Colcine Acid or something like that that was injected into the mice, what the hell was that??

On Practice AAMC

PS - 8 to 10
VR - 9 or 10
BS - 9 to 10

Real MCAT Prediction - NO CLUE!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So, how far is everyone with studying?
I'm still doing content review w/ Kaplan and moving at a very slow pace, Should I be concerned, do you guys advise that I speed it up?

That's hard to say. I'm restarting my Physical Sciences review this week, so I probably won't be done until the end of April, leaving me about a month and a half for practice, etc.

But I'm feeling pretty good about the other sections, so now it's fine tuning the weaknesses.

One piece of advice though, don't linger too long on each section. Initially when I started doing my content review I was moving sooooo slowly trying to remember every little detail, well... it's not happenin'. I would spend about 15 hours per chapter of EK and then realize that about a week or two later I would only remember the key points. So now I just cruize through content review, pausing on things I need to further digest to understand the main concept, then moving on. It's faster, the burn out risk is much lower, and you can focus on your weaknesses as you discover them doing practice problems.

I'm taking it on the 18th too. I haven't started studying yet. I figured I would do light content review the rest of the semester, then start taking practice tests like crazy once school gets out.

I'm going to jump in this boat... hopefully we can make some waves (transverse, not longitudinal)

I'm about 1/4 thru my first review of the material. I'm hoping to begin taking practice exams here in about two weeks. From there I am hoping to fit 16 more exams with full content review. From what I've gathered, if you really want to take your prep to the highest level: practice then review, practice and review some more.

Good luck everyone. (raises cup) Here's to slaying the beast.

(geez, what's with all the metaphors?)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm hoping to be done with all my content review before the first of May--luckily my schedule is basically review for the MCAT this semester. Then I'm going to take a little break for finals, then take practice tests like a beast for the month and a half or so before the test.

Hope that works out! Has anyone else set a score they're trying to get?

I'm hoping to be done with all my content review before the first of May--luckily my schedule is basically review for the MCAT this semester. Then I'm going to take a little break for finals, then take practice tests like a beast for the month and a half or so before the test.

Hope that works out! Has anyone else set a score they're trying to get?

I'm with you on the study schedule, minus a couple weeks this month to get some projects for classes done, it's all MCAT.

I'm shooting for a 37, but we'll see.

I advice user, if they have not done so already, to please review the new policies for the June MCAT exam. There has been announcement made in the MCAT forum.

I don't understand how they can justify this... To report your voided MCAT scores doesn't seem to help anyone. I'm wondering if they feel that people might be inclined to sign up for the real deal with an intent of gaining an insight into the exam above and beyond the AAMC practice tests. That is ridiculous though.

I'm actually kind of upset about this... Nothing like adding to already tense nerves on the day of your MCAT. Now if you void for technical difficulties it will look like you didn't know your info or weren't prepared for the exam. I'm not sure how it's fair that they count something like a computer error against you in an already difficult application process. And even if there is no cpu error, how do they justify this!?

:mad::mad::mad:

More news on the topic has been updated.
Oh yay. Upon hearing the good news I decided to switch my MCAT date to 6/18!

Hahaha... not really, but I have been slacking on my content review so I guess I have the pleasure of taking the same test as you guys. :p I was originally signed up for the 5/2 12 pm test. Now, I am signed up for the 6/18 2pm test. Woo! 2 more hours of sleep! ;)hahaha jk

Good luck studying guys~ :D

Now it's official, I'm in. I secured my seat, but it's a 1 hour drive from my apartment :mad: That's what I get for slacking.

I hope everyone is aiming for a 45. Shoot high and let the cards fall where they may.

Good luck to all. I'll report back with practice scores, no matter how terrible. Keep your eye on the prize!

Hello all, I'm signed up for 6/18/09 @ 2:00 P.M. Hahah I've just begun my studying. So here's where I'm at:

Physical Sciences: ~7-8
Bioligical Sciences: ~9-11
Verbal Reasoing: ~7-10 (all over the place) <-- most stressed about

This is based on 2 AAMC Exams, and 3 EK VR 101

-I plan to invest heavily into Physical Sciences because I for the most part forgot all that crap. I'm using NOVA Physics & EK G.Chemistry alongside a video review (ya i'm lazy).

-I am also doing about 3 passages a day of EK VR 101. Reviewing carefully my answers, etc to help build this "feel" for owning the VR. Starting in Mid May I will be taking nothing but full exams every 3 Days. Allowing myself 2 days to review the practice exam after.

-I have a strong OChem, BIO, etc. background (due to recently taking the classes and I tutor them) so I will just wait until the practice exams.

So.... that is my plan and I'm stickin to it. I'm not sure if I will be ready, but I am shooting for a 45 and if I end up with a 33, you'll find me drunk at a local bar in celebration of course. I really don't care what you think about my plan, but I'd love to hear about yours. :D

btw, at some point in time, i should practice writing.

Hey Guys,

I've moved my test for the final time to June 18 and am wondering where my fellow test takers are as far as progress. I've completed content review and am now taking practice exams biweekly leading up to the exam. I've already done Kaplan 1 and am scheduled for Kaplan 2 tomorrow, Thursday. I'll start AAMC exams about the 3rd week of April.

In between practice exams, I'm looking through the flashcards that I made as well as the Kaplan flashcards in order to keep my content fresh. I'm also trying to get through these Kaplan topicals and sectionals but I started with physics and it's quite frustrating.. so much so that I thought about scrapping them. But I guess it won't hurt to at least look at them and the explanations.

How about you?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been reviewing for about a ~1 month. Not too proud of myself because I don't feel like I studied efficiently and still feel that I am lacking a lot of content.

That being said, I will be taking my first Kaplan full length tomorrow. I really am not too hopeful but would really like to see a score in the mid-20s. I plan to take 2 exams a week up until exam time.

Good luck to all but especially to me because I need it soooo much and want it soooo bad

I have been reviewing for about a ~1 month. Not too proud of myself because I don't feel like I studied efficiently and still feel that I am lacking a lot of content.

That being said, I will be taking my first Kaplan full length tomorrow. I really am not too hopeful but would really like to see a score in the mid-20s. I plan to take 2 exams a week up until exam time.

Good luck to all but especially to me because I need it soooo much and want it soooo bad

I'm doing 2 a week as well. Every Monday and Thursday leading up to the exam. Are you going to work through Kaplan's topicals and sectionals?

Will the curve on this exam be harder compared to other exams due to the fact that people have more time to study for this test date which will result in them getting more questions right?

Maybe the july and august test dates will have an even harder curve? Is this what happens?

Will the curve on this exam be harder compared to other exams due to the fact that people have more time to study for this test date which will result in them getting more questions right?

Maybe the july and august test dates will have an even harder curve? Is this what happens?

There is no curve. The difficulty of the questions is determined during previous administrations in the form of sample items. This just means that an exam with more difficult questions <40% get them right will scaled slightly differently. It sounds like a curve, but it's not because it is predetermined.

So as far as when to take it, the best time is when you're ready.

June 18th test taker here as well, good luck to you all this is my second time taking the test and since july 18th is my birthday im expecting to get a great b-day present:). Study hard lets kill this test

I'm doing 2 a week as well. Every Monday and Thursday leading up to the exam. Are you going to work through Kaplan's topicals and sectionals?

Up until know, for the last 1 month, I have just used Kaplan Review books. I took my first full length today and got a 19.

I have not done any topicals but I am strongly encouraged to do so now .... especially after such a low score.

I really hope that I have enough time to raise that to a 30-35. There are 70 days between now and exam day.... hopefully that should be all that I need to raise my score to at least a 30.

Up until know, for the last 1 month, I have just used Kaplan Review books. I took my first full length today and got a 19.

I have not done any topicals but I am strongly encouraged to do so now .... especially after such a low score.

I really hope that I have enough time to raise that to a 30-35. There are 70 days between now and exam day.... hopefully that should be all that I need to raise my score to at least a 30.

I was so frustrated with my first Physics topical that I was going to scrap topicals and sectionals all together. But the abundance of materials is too awesome. I'd rather do too much than too little. And this test is so important that I don't think I'd forgive myself if I had this many resources available to me and opted not to use it. I sat down today and did 4 topicals (one from each section bio, chem, ochem, physics) and though a bit tough, they were really helpful. I know at least 3 people who actually got through every Kaplan test (full lengths, subjects, topicals, discreets, etc) and all of them each improved their score by 13 to 15 points from their diagnostic.

So I figure that it definitely wouldn't hurt to do them and get a deeper understanding of the material. I calculated that doing 3 a day would get me through all of the material in about 30 days (excluding full lengths from Kaplan and AAMC which I'll do every Monday and Thursday leading up to the exam.) That will still leave me about 30 days to the actual exam when I can focus on my weaknesses and keeping my content fresh.

I'm pretty sure that with the right focus, all of us can reach that magic 30+ that we all hope for.

Good luck studying!

Hi All,
Will be taking the exam on 6.18 as well. Currently i am studying from PR and EK. Love the EK Bio, but the EK Physics and GChem not so much. The PR passages seem much easier than the EK even though the material is more detailed. My biggest problem is timing especially as it is inversely proportional to accuracy for me. Anyway, are any of you aware of the general consensus on which prep course/review books have questions that most resemble MCAT passages/q's.

Thanks and gluck!

My situation is this: I took the MCAT last September and literally studied for 2 weeks (but pretty extensively for those 2 weeks) i got a 27R (10VR, 9 PS, 8BS). I applied and got rejected from a lot of places as you might expect. I am taking the upcoming June 18th test. I signed up for a Kaplan course that went from Apr 4th and will extend into June 10. I've been reviewing content at Kaplan's pace so far and plan on taking practice tests at the end of april and taking one once a week and more frequently before the test totaling to about 16 practice tests.

My question is this: when do you think i should get my content review finished and do you think i should take more practice tests. I'm really shooting for a 34-35 and I think i can do this considering my lack of studying for the past test and that i literally started studying for that right after my physics final and i was really burnt out from that semester of physics so.

Let me know. Thanks so much again!

My situation is this: I took the MCAT last September and literally studied for 2 weeks (but pretty extensively for those 2 weeks) i got a 27R (10VR, 9 PS, 8BS). I applied and got rejected from a lot of places as you might expect. I am taking the upcoming June 18th test. I signed up for a Kaplan course that went from Apr 4th and will extend into June 10. I've been reviewing content at Kaplan's pace so far and plan on taking practice tests at the end of april and taking one once a week and more frequently before the test totaling to about 16 practice tests.

My question is this: when do you think i should get my content review finished and do you think i should take more practice tests. I'm really shooting for a 34-35 and I think i can do this considering my lack of studying for the past test and that i literally started studying for that right after my physics final and i was really burnt out from that semester of physics so.

Let me know. Thanks so much again!
I would try to start taking the full lengths one month before the exam date. So May 18th ish for us. We will still be doing some content review, but mostly brushing up on stuff we get wrong on the aamc exams. Does the Kaplan program incorporate the aamc tests and kaplan FLs into their program?

Anyone taking it in Southern California (Glendale) @ 2pm? Maybe I will see you there. =D
How's studying everyone? I hope I finish content review by May 18th =*(
My goal is to take AAMC 3 on that day!

I would think we would have 2x the post of normal threads because we have 2 testing times on one day. Maybe we are a quiet, diligently studying bunch....

I'm with you Kiwi. Going thru TBR while trying to finish 15 hours of graduate bio. I hope to be finished with review around there. I want to get as much practice in as possible.

I would try to start taking the full lengths one month before the exam date. So May 18th ish for us. We will still be doing some content review, but mostly brushing up on stuff we get wrong on the aamc exams. Does the Kaplan program incorporate the aamc tests and kaplan FLs into their program?

Yes, Kaplan's program has all of the AAMC exams (3 thru 10) and Kaplan Full Lengths (1 thru 11).

In addition, Kaplan has 41 Critical Thinking Topical Tests, 27 Section Tests, 20 Subject Tests, and a multitude of topical quizzes and AAMC practice items from some of the earlier AAMC exams (1 & 2).

I'm now part of this group after I bombed VR today. :(

Does anybody know if ExamKraker's full length exams (particularly the VR) are similar to the actual test?? I literally ran out of practice materials after studying for 9 months.

I'm now part of this group after I bombed VR today. :(

Does anybody know if ExamKraker's full length exams (particularly the VR) are similar to the actual test?? I literally ran out of practice materials after studying for 9 months.

TBH For the last MCAT i did not do any practice for the VR, although I did only study for 2 weeks. I did read the VR strategy from EK and i must say they do really have a good one. Usually i get stuck on VR questions when the answers are so AMBIGUOUS, that's when I really get utility out of the EK method. Otherwise I make sure i read the passage as thoroughly enough within the time frame of finishing the passage and questions in 8-9 minutes. I mean i was a philosophy major too so i was used to very ambiguous terminology and the such but that doesnt excuse me from actually understanding a passage when you're flying through it due to time constraints.

As they say in my culture "repetition can even teach a donkey" get the 101 passages for EK, i've never used them but it's your best shot.

So, 60 Days exactly from today ... how is everyone feeling. How is studying going?

I took my first full length (Kaplan FL #1) and got a 19 and am currently going through the syllabus as follows: Im reading the chapters and then doing the associated topicals up until the end of this month. I am not doing the subject tests. I will begin doing full lengths every other day starting May 1st up until test day.

Any thoughts? Advice?

So, 60 Days exactly from today ... how is everyone feeling. How is studying going?

I took my first full length (Kaplan FL #1) and got a 19 and am currently going through the syllabus as follows: Im reading the chapters and then doing the associated topicals up until the end of this month. I am not doing the subject tests. I will begin doing full lengths every other day starting May 1st up until test day.

Any thoughts? Advice?

Why aren't you going to do the subject tests?

I'm signed up for the kaplan online and have been doing the quizzes here and there but haven't really studied hardcore yet. Took the AAMC test 3 and scored a 7/10/9. Physical sciences really killed me...I just forgot the material since physics and orgo 2 yrs ago. Verbal was okay...I didnt think it was that bad at all. Bio was easy sort of...the chemistry got the better of me but the concepts were things I used to know. Gotta start hitting the books soon so I can get my goal of 30+!

I hope everyones doing well in their studying...goodluck all!

Why aren't you going to do the subject tests?

I am not doing the subject tests from Kaplan b/c they are unbelievably difficult and their explanations are not too explanatory. Instead, I figured the topicals would be most helpful along with Section tests and then full lengths with ample review. Do you or have you done the subject tests? Do you suggest them? I've read on forums that they are not so helpful mainly b/c they are not passage-based....

To be honest, i would do them, its just that i haven't gotten the best impression from most people on sdn ... also, i just want to devote most of my time to what really matters i.e., mcat style passages such as topicals, sectionals, and full lengths ...

I am not doing the subject tests from Kaplan b/c they are unbelievably difficult and their explanations are not too explanatory. Instead, I figured the topicals would be most helpful along with Section tests and then full lengths with ample review. Do you or have you done the subject tests? Do you suggest them? I've read on forums that they are not so helpful mainly b/c they are not passage-based....

To be honest, i would do them, its just that i haven't gotten the best impression from most people on sdn ... also, i just want to devote most of my time to what really matters i.e., mcat style passages such as topicals, sectionals, and full lengths ...

It's up to you, but they can be helpful. The explanations presented are the same types of explanations they have for their full length exam.

I haven't done much studying except for taking a few practice tests. Last month I did a Kaplan and I got 33 and AAMC 3 I got 34.

My plan is 8 hours a day for 7 weeks, every day. This sounds like a lot but I study this much normall so it's no big deal.

I think this will be fine since I'm already hitting in the 30's

Yeah, I haven't had a chance to study much for the exam - at least, not as much as I would like. Right now I'm at the 30 border with a few weeks to go and a lot of content review/practice work to do, so I'm optimistic. I just need to get done with finals so I can focus on the MCAT for a while. Hopefully I'll get up a little closer to where I wanna be. :xf:

Good luck with studying, everyone! :luck:

My plan is 8 hours a day for 7 weeks, every day. This sounds like a lot but I study this much normall so it's no big deal.

Nah, 8 hours is not a lot especially for the MCAT. I plan on doing 12 hrs/day once school gets out. So excited! :)

Yeah, I haven't had a chance to study much for the exam - at least, not as much as I would like. Right now I'm at the 30 border with a few weeks to go and a lot of content review/practice work to do, so I'm optimistic. I just need to get done with finals so I can focus on the MCAT for a while. Hopefully I'll get up a little closer to where I wanna be. :xf:

Good luck with studying, everyone! :luck:

Yeah I have 1 more final this week then I'm done...kind of freaking out if 7 weeks is enough but all I have to do is touch up the end of physics and review orgo...as well as make sure my VR score will be in the 10-12 range instead of the 8-11 range its in now...ugh I don't wanna take a year off and its all riding on this one day!!

12's pushin it for me cause it will start stealing away research time and weight lifting time ;) haha

Aww, I plan on walking/jogging on my treadmill a few times a week, but not as much as I'd like to. *sigh* The MCAT is my boyfriend. Until June 18th, anyway. Then I'm leaving him for a life! :laugh:

Aww, I plan on walking/jogging on my treadmill a few times a week, but not as much as I'd like to. *sigh* The MCAT is my boyfriend. Until June 18th, anyway. Then I'm leaving him for a life! :laugh:

hahaha that's the attitude you gotta have to get it done!

Studying 12 hours a day will be helpful for building endurance...so much of this test is keeping your energy high the whole time.

hey all! i'm a member of the june 18 team! good luck to all! a little less than 2 months and this will all be over!!

So did anybody find out when the next available MCAT is for the June 18th takers? How long do you have to wait?

i signed up as well, im done with content review, ive been doing all the EK books starting 4 weeks ago, gonna do that til the end of may, then use june to help out my weaknesses. Gonna start practice tests this weekend.

And, in my honest opinion, if you need 12 hours a day to study, you're gonna be so burned out come june, if u absolutely need that much time, I'd serioulsy consider doing july or august, because you might say that now, but I can't think of a single person who has the focus to sit through half a day of studying, (7 to 8 hours of sleeping), and whatever else you do.

And, in my honest opinion, if you need 12 hours a day to study, you're gonna be so burned out come june, if u absolutely need that much time, I'd serioulsy consider doing july or august, because you might say that now, but I can't think of a single person who has the focus to sit through half a day of studying, (7 to 8 hours of sleeping), and whatever else you do.

LoL, nah, I'm used to studying around 9-12 hours a day, so I'll be fine. I'm very well disciplined when it comes to studying and can handle the long hours.

LoL, nah, I'm used to studying around 9-12 hours a day, so I'll be fine. I'm very well disciplined when it comes to studying and can handle the long hours.

I agree with this....those who can't do this simply just don't have the motivation. Props for hitting it hard and lets crush this **** june 18th!

I agree with this....those who can't do this simply just don't have the motivation. Props for hitting it hard and lets crush this **** june 18th!

give me a freaking break, just because you "supposedly" study this much during the day, doesn't place you or anyone else on a pedestal above everyone else who studies a typical 3 to 5 hour day. don't even try to pass it off as a lack of motivation alright. if anything, studying 9 to 12 hours indicates your insecurity of your own study habits, and an inept ability to comprehend content in a shorter time frame. but please, don't let me stop you from posting your ego inflating posts.

if anything, studying 9 to 12 hours indicates your insecurity of your own study habits, and an inept ability to comprehend content in a shorter time frame.

Why are you wasting your time telling others how they should study, and what their study habits indicate? You don't know anything about me or the person who posted before me, so please keep your opinions to yourself. And not that it's any of your business, but I am not insecure, I'm a pretty good test taker and am not at all worried about any aspect of my performance on test day, or my profile as an applicant.

Regarding my "inept ability to comprehend content in a shorter time frame"-for your information, I am finished with content review, and have a volume of practice material to go through, which requires time. I have quite the ability to "comprehend content" in a very, very short time frame. Like I said-you don't know me, so don't make any assumptions when you don't know what you're talking about. So please, keep your opinions to yourself, don't criticize others or try to put others down if they are trying to climb to the top. Go study and do something productive. This forum is not for criticizing others or putting others down; it's a learning and supportive environment.

Last edited:
:laugh::laugh: @ SAEbrodel. "just because you work harder, doesn't mean you are better than me"

Do what works for you. End of story.