Jumping from IM to Anesthesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tenesmus83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will start Internal Medicine(categorical) but my heart always wanted to do Anesthesiology. How viable is it for me to quit IM after pgy1 and apply for a CA-1 position in Anesthesia? Are there that many spots available?

Members don't see this ad.

lots of places hold positions outside the match for qualified applicants who started in other specialties. you just need to do your due diligence and get started with the application process on time.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a good website/source to get updated information regarding anesthesiology programs for PGY2 years that will match residents outside the regular match?

I will start Internal Medicine(categorical) but my heart always wanted to do Anesthesiology. How viable is it for me to quit IM after pgy1 and apply for a CA-1 position in Anesthesia? Are there that many spots available?

This is fairly common. We had at least two people change from other fields during residency and three who were practicing in other specialties before changing to Anesthesiology.

I'm not sure if positions outside the match are posted. I started by searching the freida online database (https://freida.ama-assn.org/Freida/user/viewProgramSearch.do) and then calling programs I was interested in. I asked them directly if they offered positions outside the match. The trend I noticed was that larger programs, including the top programs, were more likely to have these spots.

It's worth it...Good luck!

In the exact same boat. But I'm wondering what the timing is for this, how fast do these spots go? And how do people manage to interview during intern year? I

Any updates on the timeline,
when to start calling?
applying during ERAS or not?

Your pretty late bc of all spots are opt in.

I would recommend you throw your heart into IM. IM is very complementary to Anesthesia and I think finishing what you started and doing a good job at it might be more appealing to PDs. I am switching from IM into Anesthesia. When I decided to switch, I determined that I was going to finish medicine for several reasons. I applied with MS4s in the 2012 Match while I was a PGY-2. It all worked out very neatly. Private Message me if you would like more of my perspective, but be warned that I don't check SDN very often.