JULY PCAT ADVISE NEEDED PLEASE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted798281

Hello everyone,

I'm taking PCAT tomorrow. I have been using Dr. Collins and Pearson practice tests. I have a few questions for those who have taken it on July 2016 and hoping you guys could help me. I am really nervous for tomorrow :(

-Biology:
How was the passages on biology section?
What was the hardest part for you?
Did you have enough time to finish?

-Chemistry:
How was the passages on chemistry section?
What was the hardest part for you?
Were you allowed to use calculator?

-Quantitative
Were you allowed to use calculator?

I appreciate your help a lot. Please help me

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

I'm taking PCAT tomorrow. I have been using Dr. Collins and Pearson practice tests. I have a few questions for those who have taken it on July 2016 and hoping you guys could help me. I am really nervous for tomorrow :(

I appreciate your help a lot. Please help me
-Biology:
How was the passages on biology section? Long. However you can answer the questions without reading the passages. There is only one question per passage that you do need to read the passage to get the answer.
What was the hardest part for you? There wasn't really a hard part for me. Most likely it was just trying to remember things I already knew while being extra nervous.
Did you have enough time to finish? Yes.

-Chemistry:
How was the passages on chemistry section? Pretty moderate. A LOT of organic chemistry.
What was the hardest part for you? The inorganic part. I am bad at chem1 and chem2. However there was more organic on this exam.
Were you allowed to use calculator? Yes.

-Quantitative
Did you have enough time to finish? No. The algebra problem solving questions are about a paragraph long. So I took up a lot time reading them and ran out of time.

Good luck! I took it in July and the CR bombed my grade. I will be retaking in September 20. :)

Last edited:
-Biology:
How was the passages on biology section? Long. However you can answer the questions without reading the passages. There is only one question per passage that you do need to read the passage to get the answer.
What was the hardest part for you? There wasn't really a hard part for me. Most likely it was just trying to remember things I already knew while being extra nervous.

-Chemistry:
How was the passages on chemistry section? Pretty moderate. A LOT of organic chemistry.
What was the hardest part for you? The inorganic part. I am bad at chem1 and chem2. However there was more organic on this exam.

-Quantitative
Did you have enough time to finish? No. The algebra problem solving questions are about a paragraph long. So I took up a lot time reading them and ran out of time.

Good luck! I took it in July and the CR bombed my grade. I will be retaking in September 20. :)

Thank you for your reply. I should have known about SDN earlier. It's like last minute post so no one answers :(

I got 55% on my CR. I know it's not that high but if you need help with anything please let me know. I took Dr. Collins Prep class so they taught us pretty strategy for reading.

Good luck on your PCAT also :)

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your reply. I should have known about SDN earlier. It's like last minute post so no one answers :(

I got 55% on my CR. I know it's not that high but if you need help with anything please let me know. I took Dr. Collins Prep class so they taught us pretty strategy for reading.

Good luck on your PCAT also :)
Can you share the strategy for reading? Good luck on your test today!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you share the strategy for reading? Good luck on your test today!
Hi, this is the strategy I was taught by Dr. Collins. I hope it help.
The strategy:
  • Read the questions first
  • Look for questions that ask you specific paragraph like "In paragraph..., the author..." or "What is the author's tone in paragraph..."
  • After that, you go back to that specific and read.
  • Every passage has around 3-4 questions asking about specific paragraph. So you should be able to answer half of questions (8 questions for one passage) without reading the whole passage.
  • The rest of the questions should be about author's purpose, author's tone, idea of the passage. Basically questions about the whole passage. You should have an idea what the passage is about after answering half of the questions.
  • Every passage has 8 questions, and you have to finish 8 questions in 8 minutes.
  • Try to eliminate as much as you can.
  • Purpose, thesis, idea are usually at the conclusion instead of introduction.
  • And if it's too hard, you don't know what you are reading or have no idea what to eliminate, CHOOSE C (statistic shows that most of the answer is C) - THIS IS THE LAST OPTION, try as hard as you can before do this step.

Hi, this is the strategy I was taught by Dr. Collins. I hope it help.
The strategy:
  • Read the questions first
  • Look for questions that ask you specific paragraph like "In paragraph..., the author..." or "What is the author's tone in paragraph..."
  • After that, you go back to that specific and read.
  • Every passage has around 3-4 questions asking about specific paragraph. So you should be able to answer half of questions (8 questions for one passage) without reading the whole passage.
  • The rest of the questions should be about author's purpose, author's tone, idea of the passage. Basically questions about the whole passage. You should have an idea what the passage is about after answering half of the questions.
  • Every passage has 8 questions, and you have to finish 8 questions in 8 minutes.
  • Try to eliminate as much as you can.
  • Purpose, thesis, idea are usually at the conclusion instead of introduction.
  • And if it's too hard, you don't know what you are reading or have no idea what to eliminate, CHOOSE C (statistic shows that most of the answer is C) - THIS IS THE LAST OPTION, try as hard as you can before do this step.
I greatly appreciate your tips. Thank you!!

Reactions: 1 user