July 27 PCAT score thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

harmonidrum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
t-minus 1.5 hours and counting!!:xf: post scores here

Members don't see this ad.

hmmm took my pcat today and thought i did alright but
verbal and reading is too low ...

VA 35
BIO 98
Chem 95
RC 65
QA 92
Composite 90

should i retake it ????

I'm curious: since the PCAT is now CBT'ed, are the scores still compared to the people that took it in 2007 (I think this is the year, not sure) or is it a new set of group score that has been generated?

People seem to be scoring pretty good on the test, or it's just because the CBT is more easier.

In regards to all of you with fantastic scores, I'm just trying to get an idea about the amount of time you all studied. This is my first time taking the pcat and due to personal reasons, I was literally only able to study for 2 days prior to the exam. About 8-10 hours each day. My scores are as follows:

Verbal-400-48%
Bio-430-88%
RC-400-45%
Quant-418-71%
Chem-402-48%
Comp-410-64%

I'm extremely nervous because I only have the sept. pcat left before my applications are due. I currently have a 3.2 gpa. I plan on studying very hard for the next 2 months, but Im just trying to get an idea on how I did for by no means being prepared.
What did you study? I (and countless others on this forum) recommend Dr. Collins. Also buy the online Pearson practice exams and do them. Make sure you time yourself on everything.

I started studying about 2 months in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious: since the PCAT is now CBT'ed, are the scores still compared to the people that took it in 2007 (I think this is the year, not sure) or is it a new set of group score that has been generated?

People seem to be scoring pretty good on the test, or it's just because the CBT is more easier.

Amusing story from today's test. I asked my testing group if anyone used dr collins' material. Everyone gave me a puzzled look like I was crazy. Some guy started talking about Kaplan and everyone smiled. He said it was his second attempt, and had absolutely no clue what the subtest breakdowns were whatsoever (he thought the bio section was 2% microbio). Needless to say, the SDN has some of the highest scores around due to Dr. Collins. Most people are not aware of his material and waste money on the stupid Kaplan junk.

what schools did u call up and what did they tell u?
Thanks!!

I would email the dean of the school you are planning to attend if I was you. It seemed like the schools I asked care more about the bio, chem and QA scores but that might depend on the school.

Last edited:
Hey all, I hope everything went well for everyone today. I am somewhat depressed over my score. Not what I was expecting.

VA - 73
BIO- 80
RC- 71
QA- 81
CHEM- 68 ( wtf :( )

COMP - 79

Can someone please answer the following questions:

1) How reliable are these preliminary scores? Does anybody have any anecdotal evidence of them changing? By how much? etc..

2) 79 Preliminary composite. RETAKE?? :shrug: Please, please give me honest advisement. I'm applying to Wayne State University and the Medical University of South Carolina. I should add that I have a 3.7 GPA and a year of pharmacy tech experience.

Obviously chem is low, which is unexpected because chemistry is usually my strong suit. I've 4.0'd all of my college chem classes, scored 90th%ile in practice tests. Like, what gives?! ahh, so frustrating. ANYWAY, please respond to this post. I'm just looking for some guidance.
I am now almost 100% sure that the scores that you received will be the final scores. I think your scores are good, even though they are not that competitive. You should do some web search on the schools you are intending to apply to find out what is the average admitted scores throughout years, then you can make your decision. However, if you think you will get higher scores in the next PCAT, take it. If you don't, don't. Gud luck

I felt a lot of questions in the RC were subjective. They would ask questions like "Which of the following additions to the passage would best support the author's main point? Quote from an expert, an additional example, statistical evidence, etc..." And I'm like, all these choices sound good to me. :-/

Verbal section had a lot of weird analogies. I knew the words, but they'd have something like "noun : adjective :: noun : ____" and then all of the choices are nouns. Looks like there weren't any analogies that tested trivia knowledge though like geography, history, or pop culture this time though. Maybe they're getting rid of those?

Amusing story from today's test. I asked my testing group if anyone used dr collins' material. Everyone gave me a puzzled look like I was crazy. Some guy started talking about Kaplan and everyone smiled. He said it was his second attempt, and had absolutely no clue what the subtest breakdowns were whatsoever (he thought the bio section was 2% microbio). Needless to say, the SDN has some of the highest scores around due to Dr. Collins. Most people are not aware of his material and waste money on the stupid Kaplan junk.
QFT!! Most people I saw at my testing center were looking through their Kaplan books or said they took the Kaplan course. As we all know on here, Kaplan is crap.

Verbal - 92

Biology - 94

Chemistry - 91

Quantitative Ability - 64

Reading Comprehension - 20

Composite - 83

I'll probably apply for the next cycle (after this next year of undergrad) and if I don't get in I'll try and improve my scores. Does this sound like a good plan?

Clearly my reading score is poor but hopefully my verbal and essay scores (felt like I did really good on the essay section) can offset that.

Also - The math section was ridiculous in my opinion. Collins didn't come close, but it helped get me some good practice and helped with certain concepts. Collins was very helpful with biology, I was already strong in that area though. Reading....well, I guess I need to read more lol.

Last edited:
Don't have my paper with me so i'm approximating my scores...

Verbal - 48
Bio - 87
Chem - 89
RC - 29
Qual - 76
Comp - 69

Not happy with my score since I was expecting high 70's...

From what I hear with my kind of scores, schools will analyze individual sections as well. Even though schools will value science and math more than verbal and RC, I am not sure if I should retake or just apply... any thoughts?

Don't have my paper with me so i'm approximating my scores...

Verbal - 48
Bio - 87
Chem - 89
RC - 29
Qual - 76
Comp - 69

Not happy with my score since I was expecting high 70's...

From what I hear with my kind of scores, schools will analyze individual sections as well. Even though schools will value science and math more than verbal and RC, I am not sure if I should retake or just apply... any thoughts?

Most people on here say that those scores would be below the competitive range for most school and you should retake it. However, you did decent on the science sections, so not all hope is lost. Especially if you have an otherwise solid application. If you spend some extra time preparing and study right you should be able to improve your scores.

Here are my scores from the preliminary report from today:

VA: 45
BIO: 87
RC: 43
QA: 54
CHEM: 95
COMP: 75

Should I retake, my Bio and Chem are very strong and I feel they will get me an interview at a few schools.

My prelim scores from today:

Verbal: 427 (86)
Biology: 430 (88)
RC: 416 (71)
QA: 486 (99)
Chemistry: 443 (93)
Composite: 440 (97)

I was nervous as hell before looking at my score report, I felt like I did so much worse!

Members don't see this ad :)
Verbal: 89
Biology: 91
Reading comprehension: 76
Quantitative ability: 64
Chemistry: 90
Composite: 89

This is actually better than how I did on 2 previous practice tests. Hope it balances out my 3.3 GPA and 3.1 science GPA...

It definitely will. Your chemistry and biology scores are pretty darn good!

QFT!! Most people I saw at my testing center were looking through their Kaplan books or said they took the Kaplan course. As we all know on here, Kaplan is crap.

When I took the PCAT, I used Kaplan to study for it. In retrospect, I should have used a different book but I really only used it for bio and chem (as review...somewhat). What truly helped me (and may come as a surprise) was preparing for the GMAT. I was thinking about an MBA/Pharm.D. program and my GMAT preparation through Veritas helped me with the verbal, quant, and reading sections. I didn't study as hard as I was supposed to (I only took one practice PCAT exam) but I thank my 89% composite to the preparation I got from studying for the GMAT.

Long story short, alternative entrance exam study guides (for the GRE, GMAT, etc) can definitely help in your PCAT preparation.

Congrats to everyone who got the scores they wanted on today's exam!

Here is a comparison of what I got on the last Pearson prac exam the Saturday before my exam and my actual PCAT scores from today:

Pearson Prac Test 1 from 2008:
Verbal 58-78
Biology 72-92
Chemistry 80-99
Reading Comp 63-83
Quantitative Ability 55-75
Composite: 73-93

Actual PCAT scores:
Verbal 77
Biology 94
Chemistry 96
Reading Comp 47
Quantitative Ability 77
Composite: 88

The Pearson practice exams were definitely not accurate representations of what the actual reading comp is like. Everything else on the exam, especially chemistry, was very similar and serves as a good indicator IMO.

When I took the PCAT, I used Kaplan to study for it. In retrospect, I should have used a different book but I really only used it for bio and chem (as review...somewhat). What truly helped me (and may come as a surprise) was preparing for the GMAT. I was thinking about an MBA/Pharm.D. program and my GMAT preparation through Veritas helped me with the verbal, quant, and reading sections. I didn't study as hard as I was supposed to (I only took one practice PCAT exam) but I thank my 89% composite to the preparation I got from studying for the GMAT.

Long story short, alternative entrance exam study guides (for the GRE, GMAT, etc) can definitely help in your PCAT preparation.

I agree. I actually used the mcat examkrackers alot. I had them lying around as i switched from pre-med. Those are wonderful books. While some things are not very clear, other things are explained in a more elegant and efficient manner than in actual textbooks. I wouldn't suggest people to actually buy them for the PCAT, but just supporting your idea. Dr.Collins seems to be where it is at, i didn't have the dough to blow on it though. PUN

Verbal: 419/77
Biology: 430/88
Reading: 397/40
QA: 409/57
Chemistry: 449/95
Composite: 421/82

I feel pretty content overall. Studied for about 3 weeks with Collins material and also used the Kaplan book as supplements for chem and bio. I didn't study for math for more than a few days and I guess my score is indicative of that. I'm just upset with my reading score as I was able to score a 90% on a practice Pearson test. Guess I got a little too confident. :laugh: Oh well, good job everyone!

took it for the first time yesterday..

verbal - 82
biology - 88
reading - 58 D:<
quant - 90
chemistry - 93

composite: (428) 89

the questions for reading comprehension were so ambiguous! :p

should i retake it???? D: i'm a rising sophomore @ UNC and i'm applying for their pharm program this year..

VA: 99
Bio: 90
RC: 66 (This was much more difficult than practice tests, but oh well)
QA: 54 (ran out of time :()
Chem: 88
Comp: 91

This was better than I expected since I hadn't studied much, but does the super low QA mean I should retake it? I got an A in Calculus and am taking a second Calc course this semester for which I also anticipate an A so would that balance out the fact that I'm slow as heck at math tests? Oh and my top choice schools are Midwestern (AZ), U Colorado, and U Illinois Chicago. Thanks!

Everyone did really well on here. Congrats! :)

The Pearson practice exams were definitely not accurate representations of what the actual reading comp is like. Everything else on the exam, especially chemistry, was very similar and serves as a good indicator IMO.

I don't agree with this. If anything I felt the RC passages from this test were far easier than any of the Pearson tests I've taken. Maybe its just that I was more focused because of the epinephrine though...

Last edited:
Verbal - 92

Biology - 94

Chemistry - 91

Quantitative Ability - 64

Reading Comprehension - 20

Composite - 83

I'll probably apply for the next cycle (after this next year of undergrad) and if I don't get in I'll try and improve my scores. Does this sound like a good plan?

Clearly my reading score is poor but hopefully my verbal and essay scores (felt like I did really good on the essay section) can offset that.

Also - The math section was ridiculous in my opinion. Collins didn't come close, but it helped get me some good practice and helped with certain concepts. Collins was very helpful with biology, I was already strong in that area though. Reading....well, I guess I need to read more lol.

How is your gpa? I think your science and verbal scores are very strong... My gpa happens to be pretty crap...around 3.4 (3.1 pharmcas gpa)... so I needed a 99th to show that I'm not completely anserine.

Why don't you feel that they were accurate representations? I'm curious.

Everyone seems to be having trouble with the RC and looking for a simple solution. I have to be blunt, but you arent going from a 25th percentile to 99th overnight. Time to lay off the Cheetos and turn off Jerry Springer for a minute and maybe crack a book. Steady, consistent reading will serve you well. You will develop an increasingly powerful vocabulary, given you read a eclectic array of challenging material(local newspapers, popular fiction and how-to books are intended to maximize profit and are written at an appropriate reading level, usually around 5-7th grade). As an added bonus you will get better and better at your reading speed and comprehension.

I agree with this. I didn't study for the Verbal or RC as I knew those would be my strongest areas ( I got a 95 verbal and 94 RC). I am an avid reader. I also listen to NPR which I really think helps me stay up on current events. I was also a Journalism major. Newspapers are written at a 5th grade reading level. They are meant to reach the widest audience possible.

Wow everyone did so well!!
I'll post a crappy score. xD

Here are my scores
Verbal: 36
Bio: 91
RC: 35
Quant: 38
Chem: 81
Comp: 62%

I pretty have one more chance in September also but I am not sure how I can improve verbal, RC, and math. Read more stuff? Any ideas on how to improve? I have until September 26 :xf: Thanks and good luck everyon!

i took 2 of the pearson tests- 2,3 i believe and scored 80-90 range on everything but qa -55

and my real exam scores were NOT this great. i WISH. i was so happy and confident after taking the practice tests. :(

i will say that i did see two exact same questions.

How is your gpa? I think your science and verbal scores are very strong... My gpa happens to be pretty crap...around 3.4 (3.1 pharmcas gpa)... so I needed a 99th to show that I'm not completely anserine.

About the same as yours, 3.4 cumulative, slightly lower for math/science.

I have a year to bring it up a bit though, I've taken about 1.5 years of pre-pharm classes.

Here are mine.

VA: 92
Bio: 94
RC: 55
QA: 85
Chm: 96
Comp: 94

I'm happy with the composite score but kind of disappointed with the reading comprehension score.

I'm debating retaking it but at this point I think I would be risking losing points in other areas for a small gain in the reading section.

Here are mine.

I'm happy with the composite score but kind of disappointed with the reading comprehension score.

I'm debating retaking it but at this point I think I would be risking losing points in other areas for a small gain in the reading section.

Most here would say you do not need to retake it.

Here are mine.

Honestly, it would be completely pointless to retake. Most schools that have minimum requirements have a requirement of 50 in each section, which you meet. Furthermore, your lowest score is in the most inconsequential section. Do. Not. Retake. :)

Took July 27th PCAT, it was my first time taking it. My gpa isn't stellar, only a 3.12 overall (3.2 science) So the question everyone asks is: what are my chances? I'm applying this cycle, I graduate in December with a degree in molecular biology. I submitted my pharmcas week before the pcat. I have around 40 hours shadowing experience of retail pharmacists. 1 LOR from a pharmacist and 2 from professors. I don't want to retake the PCAT unless you guys think it'd be in my best interest to do so. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Verbal- 48%
Biology – 96%
Chemistry – 77%
Reading – 87%
Quant – 62%
Composite- 83%

About the same as yours, 3.4 cumulative, slightly lower for math/science.

I have a year to bring it up a bit though, I've taken about 1.5 years of pre-pharm classes.

I would recommend devoting as much time as humanly possible to your coursework and get that gpa up. That is what I have been actively doing. An 84 is pretty competitive I wouldn't stress too much over it.

I don't agree with this. If anything I felt the RC passages from this test were far easier than any of the Pearson tests I've taken. Maybe its just that I was more focused because of the epinephrine though...

I took July 27th PCAT same time as you and thought reading was way harder on the actual test. Alot of the passages were longer than the pearsons so I had to rush to finish on time. And I did not have any passages about epinephrine so I'm pretty sure it's completely randomized for each person.

VA - 99 (461)
BIO - 94 (440)
RC - 88 (431)
QA - 59 (410)
CHEM - 99 (472)
COMP - 97 (443)

I felt awful before I got this report. Probably because I had just bombed the QA section and I knew it.

So, my biggest question is this: How sure can we be that these prelim. scores will hold for the official report?

As a few people mentioned earlier, this time around the passages were much longer, though there were always 4-5 paragraphs , each was significantly longer. I also felt there were more questions with "trick answer choices" that were hard for the average reader to answer unless they completely knew the reading passage inside out. On the Pearson exams I was getting a score around the 70's but it was a completely other story on the actual pcat (47).

But as I said, I still highly recommend buying the exams, it pretty much predicted my score section-by-section spot on with my pcat score.

As a few people mentioned earlier, this time around the passages were much longer, though there were always 4-5 paragraphs , each was significantly longer. I also felt there were more questions with "trick answer choices" that were hard for the average reader to answer unless they completely knew the reading passage inside out. On the Pearson exams I was getting a score around the 70's but it was a completely other story on the actual pcat (47).

But as I said, I still highly recommend buying the exams, it pretty much predicted my score section-by-section spot on with my pcat score.

I asked out of curiosity because I took the exam in January 2010 and I felt that the RC questions from Pearson (We had 2 of the 3 exams as study tools that you guys had for the current format) were EXACTLY the same as the ones that I had on the PCAT.

Therefore, my study plan of reading the answers, understanding the format, etc served me well and I scored an 84 on RC. (This was the only section that I scored below a 92 on the actual exam to earn my 99 composite.)

I think that people aren't studying properly for the RC section and that's why scores are so poor. The questions aren't simply; What did the author say about semiconductors? (Pure conjecture, therefore, I'm not giving any information on the exam.) The questions are about thesis statements, implications of author's tone; These concepts that you would only now if you've taken Journalism courses, if you're an avid reader who likes to dissect scientific articles, or if you studied the answer key, provided by Pearson, to find out the information about which the question was referring.

You're not going to raise your score overnight. You know this. I know this. The test-makers apparently know this, which is why they limit you to one test per month (though they could make more money otherwise...). Obviously, reading comprehension took the wind out of many of us, as it did for me. I was never good at reading comprehension, dating back to my 2nd grade reading class; I couldn't do it then and I cannot do it now. Speed reading is something I refuse to do.

That being said, I want those who are discouraged and are planning to re-take the PCAT to read what I am about to say: if this was your first time, you are already going to do better the next time around; you know what to expect and how to effectively time yourself after what happened last week or yesterday. I am not naive; to do substantially better requires time and effort that some of you may not have. If you do not have the time to study to take the PCAT again, I would only take it if you are highly unhappy with your score and 90+% of the reputable people you ask tell you to re-take it. Otherwise, study hard and own it. I want to focus here on verbal and reading comprehension.

Reading comprehension is something you have to develop, not learn. I cannot say anything more on that. Verbal is something you also develop, but you can still learn. I remember someone telling me that you cannot make up for years of not learning vocab. That's not true. You can learn 1000 words by September and do perfectly well. You won't remember the words the day, month, or year after, but you'll be fine for the PCAT.

I see many people here approving Dr. Collins. I did not use Dr. Collins so I can neither recommend towards nor warn against it. I did use Kaplan. I received a class for free (from a raffle) and utilized it to the maximum. But I didn't stop there. Specifically for Verbal, I went to my library and checked out three, 8+ practice test books of the MAT (Miller Analogies Test) Each practice test has 120 questions. Multiply 120 by at least 20 and you'll be in awe, as I was. That is a good way to not only practice vocab, but to relate vocab words with functions, descriptions, etc.

Look, I haven't taken organic chemistry yet and I did well on chemistry. Why? I knew long time ago I wasn't going to do well on the organic chemistry part of the test , but with Kaplan, I learned enough to do fine. However, if you cannot afford/do not want to do Kaplan, then read your organic chemistry textbook or learn it somehow through other means (books, teachers, etc.). But if you do not start doing so by September, then you will have done nothing different and scores will most likely stay the same or even drop from lack of effort and mindfulness.

I agree that it can be disheartening to do much work and not do well. But you have to realize that now, you know what it is you have to work on. Timing? Content? Vocab? You took the PCAT at least once already, so you know exactly what to expect. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Again, sorry for the long post, but I hope this helps someone out there.

Chemguy, I think you're correct in saying many of us did not properly prepare for the reading comp portion. I started looking through the Pearson answer explainations but didn't know what to take away from them and use that info on the test day. So then I pretty much stopped reading the explainations.

You made good points, I stand corrected.

Chemguy, I think you're correct in saying many of us did not properly prepare for the reading comp portion. I started looking through the Pearson answer explainations but didn't know what to take away from them and use that info on the test day. So then I pretty much stopped reading the explainations.

You made good points, I stand corrected.

The good thing is that it's definitely correctable. I've always aced standardized exams when it comes to reading comprehension because I'm wired to study an answer key (when provided), learn what a question is genuinely asking and then, I key in on those points when I take the exam.

Truth be told, I was really freaked out about this section when I took the PCAT because, while I'm an avid reader, I sucked at those types of questions. (I was in the middle range when I took Pearson's Practice Exams.) However, after studying the key, I was genuinely surprised and pleased with my score.

Definitely fixable, but it takes MUCH more work to do. *shrug*

Can any of you sell me the Dr. Collin package? I hope that I can do well on PCAT in next year

Hey I can sell you dr.Collins 2009 June update for 80 bucks + free shipping. Nothing is missing and new except I highlighted two or three pages from chem section. Paypal only. Contact me if interested~

Hey I just wanted people's opinions about this:

Verbal 97
Bio 91
RC 87
QA 73
Chem 77
Comp 92

I am just fine with the composite, but the verbal really boosted everything. The QA and Chem are low which is unfortunate because they are usually my better subjects. Assuming all else is well, LORs are good, GPA is solid, some clinical lab experience and all of that good stuff that people mention you should have, do I need to worry about the subject scores individually? And will these suffice.

I completely agree with this ^ I only missed 3-4 questions per practice test for RC, and finished with ~5 minutes to spare each time.

The Pearson practice test RC passages were much easier to read - and mostly of scientific nature that I was very familiar with (either through UD class material or research).

The passages presented to us on the 27th were philosophical, and weren't very well structured. I was under the impression that the passages would be mostly scientific based (as seen from Dr. Collins packets, too), yet the first two passages of RC yesterday completely threw me off.. I had to read each of yesterday's passages nearly 3 times to get a semi-firm grasp of what was going on. I'd delve more into the topic specificity as they're engraved into my head, but can't because of their strict policy.

Verbal 97
Bio 91
RC 87
QA 73
Chem 77
Comp 92

I am just fine with the composite, but the verbal really boosted everything. The QA and Chem are low which is unfortunate because they are usually my better subjects. Assuming all else is well, LORs are good, GPA is solid, some clinical lab experience and all of that good stuff that people mention you should have, do I need to worry about the subject scores individually? And will these suffice.

You'll be fine, in my opinion.

Verbal 97
Bio 91
RC 87
QA 73
Chem 77
Comp 92

Your more then fine. You have a super high composite and all subsections are above 70 so your golden!!

I must be the only reasonable one here, not positing my scores, but I was happy, just not in the 99th club. Positing scores is more of a privacy issue, don't want schools to identify me here.

Some of you are way too worried. Try and have some more confidence for a change. No, you DO NOT have to retake if you have over a 90 composite, or over an 80 for that matter. The #2 pharm school in the nation accepts 65 and above, so understand that. Lack of confidence WILL show in your interviews, so try and reduce it.

Why would you risk retaking to get higher in a single subtest? Especially if that subtest is RC. What do you think the average RC score your pharmacy schools are going to see this cycle? Exactly.

For instance, 2010 accepted students at UT Austin School of Pharmacy:
PCAT [Mean]
Writing Conventions [1-5] 2.9
Writing Problem Solving [1-5] 3.0
Verbal 71
Reading 61
Quant 67
Chemistry 74
Biology 77
Composite 76

Congrats to everyone. It will be ok. Give yourselves a pat on the back, even if you scored something you didn't like, you got through a tough test. :thumbup:

BTW: I studied with Dr. Collins, didn't think he helped at all for Chemistry or QA...Helped with VA a lot (I got 92) but in the end I am a pretty good guesser.

I took the PCAT on the 27th, and below are my scores.. I am fairly new in the pharmacy world, so I am not sure how competitive i am. If anyone could offer me some insight id greatly appreciate it..

Verbal: 416/ 73
Bio: 430/ 88
RC: 412/ 65 :thumbdown:
QA: 424: 79
Chem: 443: 93
Comp: 425: 86

my gpa is about a 3.1, and my pre-reqs are about a 2.9 or so. Im applying to about 10 schools, including most of the Pennsylvania schools, and ny ones. I shadowed a pharmacist (got a letter as well) and have a pretty solid personal statement along with a good story. I have an outrageous upward trend in the last two years. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I took my PCAT on July 27th as well and I did good in some areas and not so good in some areas. Here's my percentiles:

VA: 50%
BIO: 99%
CHEM: 95%
RC: 19% <---:scared:
QA: 93%

Should I retake? Aside from PCAT, I have great leadership skills at my univeristy (historian, vice president, and currently president of pre-pharmacy association), 200+ volunteer hours in a hospital pharmacy, and by the time I apply, 1.5 years of pharmacy technician job experience. And my GPA is currently 3.78

What should I do? I'm so confused. Someone please evaluate me!!