July 22 MCAT/ Applying late August TMDSAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Manny Q's

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have rescheduled by April MCAT to July 22nd because I am not ready at all. I have not been able to study because of some health problems I have faced which has put me behind in my studying.
cGPA: 3.25
sGPA: 3.10
Although my GPA is no where near competitive, I have had an upward trend in my grades once I got over some hardships I faced. I also have an outstanding resume including many leadership/officer positions, Research Experience, and hundreds of hours of clinical experience as an EMT.
I am applying to Texas Med Schools as soon as I get my July 22nd MCAT score, so everything should be in August 22nd. Should I send in my application in July with a pending MCAT, or should I wait and send it once I get my score? Let's assume I get a great MCAT score...

Members don't see this ad.

Don't apply this year OP. Applying early in Texas is SO crucial to receiving interviews, especially if your GPA and MCAT are significantly below average. Assuming you can knock the MCAT out of the park (515+), you have a shot at MD. I'd also apply to a handful of DO schools for backup next cycle. If that doesn't work for you, I'd suggest an SMP to remediate your GPA. High SMP GPA and MCAT will bode well for admissions, considering that you already have a solid resume I'd concentrate on academic metrics the most.

Reactions: 1 users
Wait a year... Applying EARLY is one of the most important factors when applying to medical school. You also don't know what you are going to get on the MCAT so it's a double ding for applying this cycle coming up. I would maybe consider an SMP but posting in the What are my Chances forum once you have your MCAT score back should give you a better handle on what you need to do.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wait and see what your MCAT score is.

Reactions: 1 user
Concur with others. With your stats, even with a 515 you will be shooting yourself in the foot by submitting in late August. Your app could be verified as late as October and by that time a lot of people in texas are already done interviewing (TX cycle is a little faster/earlier than the AMCAS cycle) and lots of schools have filled up more than half of their available interview slots.

You did the right thing by putting off the mcat before you were ready. You need a great score to keep you alive for MD. TCOM definitely an option still with an MCAT 510+ and you might also have luck at some of the MD schools outside of the 3 main cities (Atx, H, D).

Reactions: 1 user
Update: I signed up for the June 17th MCAT and should have everything in mid-July instead of late-August... Is that a little better?

Update: I signed up for the June 17th MCAT and should have everything in mid-July instead of late-August... Is that a little better?

Slightly maybe? But it takes a while to process the apps. Like everyone mentioned, the GPA is on the low end, so a stellar MCAT would help.

Taking it in June is definitely better than taking it in August. I dont know if TMDSAS will allow you to apply without an MCAT score like you can on AMCAS (get in line for verification, then add schools when you get your score back). Taking it in June, that could be a viable strategy still.

Taking it in June is definitely better than taking it in August. I dont know if TMDSAS will allow you to apply without an MCAT score like you can on AMCAS (get in line for verification, then add schools when you get your score back). Taking it in June, that could be a viable strategy still.
I would like to know if TMDSAS allows you to submit and get verified now if you have a scheduled MCAT in July. Does anybody know? This is my first time applying TMDSAS.

I would like to know if TMDSAS allows you to submit and get verified wo an MCAT score as well. Does anybody know? This is my first time applying TMDSAS.

On another topic....I won't know my new MCAT score until end of August. I have my old MCAT score from last year, which will allow me to submit my primary app to 1 school and get verified. I will then submit my application to other schools after my MCAT score comes back in August. This will allow me to better judge which schools are most appropriate for me based on my MCAT score in the end of August.

Whats the point of applying to schools now (before my new MCAT scores come back) if my application is just going to sit there until the MCAT score gets back anyways? Is there a benefit to just submit my application to all potential schools now?

Just make sure you have enough time to study. You can't afford anything other than a very good score to help offset that GPA (and even that might not be enough).

Q1. Yes
Q2. Yes
Q3. Tough one...
Thanks for the response. Ya, I'm not sure there is any benefit to applying to schools now wo an updated MCAT score. Sure, my AMCAS gets verified in advance and everything will be ready by the time the MCAT score gets back. But my AMCAS is going to get verified anyways b/c I'll be submitting my AMCAS to schools that I would apply to regardless.