This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aktwenty47

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I'm planning on taking the PCAT for the first time in July and have a few questions. Even if you don't have answers, feel free to post your own opinions to my questions or any other questions you might have about the upcoming PCAT!

1. When did you first take the PCAT? I've been told to take it after finishing my first organic chemistry class. For semester systems there are 6 hours of organic for the year, 3 per semester. However, I attend undergrad at a quarter system university so the 6 hours are split into thirds, not halves. This means for an academic year I will take 2 hours each quarter. That means I've only taken 1/3 of organic chemistry compared to the usual 1/2 that most people will have completed. Will this likely affect my score in the chemistry section? Supposedly the new PCAT is 50% inorganic and 30% organic (and 20% biochemistry).

2. How many pre-reqs did you have left when taking the PCAT for the first time? I feel like I still have a good number of them left to take and I can't possibly teach myself all of that material for the test. (Biochemistry, cell biology/physiology, microbiology with lab, and organic II and III left) For a while I was trying to learn new material but it was taking too much time so I decided it would be best to focus on having a better foundation in the courses I have taken. Did you just try your best and hope to do better after completing the courses or did you study a lot in advance for these subjects?

3. Opinions on the Kaplan PCAT strategies and test prep book? I have the 2016-17 version which has been updated for the new version of the test. Been studying on and off since classes let out at the end of May. I've read that it's harder/more detailed than the actual test, which is good for me, but I don't have time to get through the whole book before July 11th obviously. Anyone who has used this book have any input they'd like to share? Recommend a better prep book for next time around? I haven't taken the two full length tests they have online yet but plan to do that soon (and definitely before the real PCAT).

4. What did you wear to the testing center? Did you "dress for success" or wear something you would be comfortable in? I can't find much information about this anywhere. Is there a dress code or does it even matter? Please let me know!

5. The percentile ranking--is this based on the single test date or both test dates of the month? In Louisiana, where I'm from, I had a choice to take the test on July 11th or 18th. I assume these are national test dates and not just for Louisiana. I'm taking it on the 11th and know that a preliminary score will be provided as soon as the test is over. Will the percentile ranking be based on everyone who has completed the test on that specific day in the country?

If any background information is needed, I'm a senior in college and the ULM School of Pharmacy is my top choice. I plan on applying for Fall 2019 as soon as I get my official scores in. Is this what you did? The don't have a listed minimum score but recommend retaking the test if the percentile ranking is less than 30, which hopefully I'll be well above that. I have a 3.5 cumulative GPA that is steadily rising after some mistakes from freshman year (haha). ULM apparently puts most importance on GPA and the interview, and then the PCAT score. If either of the first two are lacking, more weight is put on the PCAT. Also I am just getting my pre-reqs and not an undergraduate degree.

I did not plan on such a long post but any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
1. I took the PCAT last July. It was the first and only time I took the exam. I got a 97th percentile cumulatively.

2. A lot of the pharmacy school prereqs were also prereqs for the upper division classes for my major so I had most of them done by the time I took the PCAT. I think I only needed the A&P 2 lecture and both A&P labs.

3. I also "used" Kaplan. (With air quotes because I wasn't very good at self-study so I only reviewed a bit of organic chemistry a few days before the exam.) One thing I've heard a lot about Kaplan tests is that they're usually a little harder than the actual test so your score will be a little lower. Pearson practice exams will always give you the best estimate of your score on the real exam. Based on your GPA I would guess you probably know a lot of the material already. I've heard a lot of people recommend taking one practice test before studying as a diagnostic so you know what to focus on. You might struggle a little with the bio and chem sections because biochemistry and microbiology make up a good portion of those sections. Some people would suggest focusing your studying there, but based on your timeframe it may be better to focus on things you're shaky on instead of things you'd have to be learning for the first time. If you feel pretty solid on the rest of the material though, then definitely go for it and try to learn as much biochem and micro as you can. :) Kaplan's info about the writing section also helped me a lot, just knowing the format and the kinds of answers they're looking for.

4. If you want to dress business casual, go for it. If you want to wear a t-shirt and jeans, do that. IIRC there's no dress code, but bring a light jacket in case the testing center is running a little cold that day. Just don't show up in, like, pajamas or something. Go for presentable at the very least.

5. I'm guessing it's based on the previous cycle of exams. Reason being you get a preliminary score report with your scaled scores and your percentile rankings and there's no way they could accurately calculate percentile rankings otherwise. Your scores almost never change between test day and the day you get your official results.

Reactions: 1 users
1. I took the PCAT last July. It was the first and only time I took the exam. I got a 97th percentile cumulatively.

2. A lot of the pharmacy school prereqs were also prereqs for the upper division classes for my major so I had most of them done by the time I took the PCAT. I think I only needed the A&P 2 lecture and both A&P labs.

3. I also "used" Kaplan. (With air quotes because I wasn't very good at self-study so I only reviewed a bit of organic chemistry a few days before the exam.) One thing I've heard a lot about Kaplan tests is that they're usually a little harder than the actual test so your score will be a little lower. Pearson practice exams will always give you the best estimate of your score on the real exam. Based on your GPA I would guess you probably know a lot of the material already. I've heard a lot of people recommend taking one practice test before studying as a diagnostic so you know what to focus on. You might struggle a little with the bio and chem sections because biochemistry and microbiology make up a good portion of those sections. Some people would suggest focusing your studying there, but based on your timeframe it may be better to focus on things you're shaky on instead of things you'd have to be learning for the first time. If you feel pretty solid on the rest of the material though, then definitely go for it and try to learn as much biochem and micro as you can. :) Kaplan's info about the writing section also helped me a lot, just knowing the format and the kinds of answers they're looking for.

4. If you want to dress business casual, go for it. If you want to wear a t-shirt and jeans, do that. IIRC there's no dress code, but bring a light jacket in case the testing center is running a little cold that day. Just don't show up in, like, pajamas or something. Go for presentable at the very least.

5. I'm guessing it's based on the previous cycle of exams. Reason being you get a preliminary score report with your scaled scores and your percentile rankings and there's no way they could accurately calculate percentile rankings otherwise. Your scores almost never change between test day and the day you get your official results.

Hey, great job on your score!! That's a good idea about taking a practice test first so you know what to focus on, I'm going to take that advice. Everything else you've said is really helpful too, I appreciate it! Thank you so much :)

Reactions: 1 user
hi I just joined this forum and this thread because im taking my first pcat next week, july 18.
I did Kaplan live online review, and also self studied. my Kaplan package came with 5 full length tests, but I am worried because Kaplan recommends a 415 and until now only 6 days away, I am still just below 400. My scores are stagnant, 397-399. I know people say Kaplan is harder than the actual test but how true is this?
and how was the exam, was Kaplan sufficient? what portion was the hardest? and if its alright, can I ask what your score was?
I plan on applying for the 2019 school year as well, and I have a 3.7 gpa with volunteer hours and hospital service. I am a ball of nerves however, any advice?