July 20 PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThugMotivation

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post your thoughts on the PCAT and how y'all did in it. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad.

My scores are pretty weak too! I don't know what I'm doing wrong? I studied Dr. Collins, Pearson, REA Flashcards for about 2 months and got these scores??? I did great on all the practice tests (85-90%) but for whatever reason I suck. Any pointers for studying? Cause apparently, what I'm doing isn't working!

VA: 403 - 53%
BIO: 421 - 80%
RC: 386 - 24%!!!!!:(:(:(
QA: 403 - 47%
CHEM: 395 - 37%:confused:
COMP: 402 - 47%

My scores are pretty weak too! I don't know what I'm doing wrong? I studied Dr. Collins, Pearson, REA Flashcards for about 2 months and got these scores??? I did great on all the practice tests (85-90%) but for whatever reason I suck. Any pointers for studying? Cause apparently, what I'm doing isn't working!

VA: 403 - 53%
BIO: 421 - 80%
RC: 386 - 24%!!!!!:(:(:(
QA: 403 - 47%
CHEM: 395 - 37%:confused:
COMP: 402 - 47%

Wow i got 382 in RC and my PR% is 19 lol !!!!!!

How does the preliminary score differ?!

I def thought the Quant section was the hardest and had to guess on most of them but it ended up being my highest score (89).

Chem was hard- I bombed it but when I took the pearson tests i was scoring in the 80s.

Reading comp was ridiculous- it didnt seem hard but was eventually my lowest score (35).

When you received your prelim score, there are still hundreds other peope taking the tests, so the PR% are not accurate because the computer system didnt calculate their score.

That's what i think :D

Well i think we should post the SS and the time we took the test as well to see if there's much difference between different time. Because peope who took the test earliest will tend to have higher score... because your score has not yet been compared to others....

Hehe idk.... I THINK !

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how much our prelim report % will vary compared to the official score report?

This was my first time taking the PCAT and I feel like my score reflects my results from the Pearson Practice tests.

Preliminary Score Report:

VA: 68
Bio: 90
RC: 77
QA: 88
Chem: 88
Comp: 88
*edit My Composite scaled score was 427

Overall I'm happy with this score although I was a bit surprised by the verbal ability, thought I did a lot better on that section. I would have to agree with everyone regarding the Reading Comp, it was definitely more difficult that the Pearson practice tests. Chem and QA were both really rushed but I managed to finish both of them with a little time to spare. I'm hoping that these prelim results are pretty close to the actual score!

Last edited:
For those of you who purchased the practice exams from Pearson, how similar was the PCAT to the July 20th exam?

Practice tests were wayyy easy. I got 80-99% composite on them.

did you memorize all the vocab words from kaplan? did that help on the verbal section at all?

I got a 92 for verbal...not sure how. Just figure out a way to do those analogies and you'll be good.

I am a math person and ran out of time on the math section...WTF was with the bio section? I thought it was way too detailed. Not as much organic as I thought, which is good because I guessed on every single organic question :D

Verbal - 92
Bio - 54
Reading Comprehension - 77
Quantitative - 85
Chemistry - 48

Composite - SS: 419 PR: 79

I also want to know how different this preliminary score is from the real score report. Hope it doesn't go down by much !

Last edited:
I honestly don't think that the preliminary scores would change :/

Here are my scores

VA-58
BIO-84
RC -35 Uggh :(
QA-90
Chem -99 :)
Composite - 88.

Do you guys think i should retake it?

When you received your prelim score, there are still hundreds other peope taking the tests, so the PR% are not accurate because the computer system didnt calculate their score.

Well i think we should post the SS and the time we took the test as well to see if there's much difference between different time. Because peope who took the test earliest will tend to have higher score... because your score has not yet been compared to others....

Hehe idk.... I THINK !

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. I think the tests are all compared against a given sample year. For example, if the sample was January 2008, then your composite percentile is compared to everyone's performance on that test. They change this every few years or so, updating to a new sample year. I'm pretty certain the composite scores will not change. But it would be wonderful if they did go up a bit when they see how badly everyone did on that reading section (myself included)! Yikes! >.<

Preliminary

Chemistry 95
Biology 96
QA 94
Reading 82
Verbal 48

Composite 93

Yes My verbal was really low and I was 100% it was my best section. Its really depressing, but I fine with it. Here's hoping the essay wasn't two bad. I messed the first one up and messed up the conclusion on the second one.

Hehe idk.... I THINK !

Good guess... but no. From Pearson:
21. Are my scores derived by comparing them to the other students who took the exam on the same date as me?
Your percentile rank scores are based on the current norm group each time you take the PCAT. The current norm group is defined as all first-time examinees who took the test between October 2004 and May 2007. Your scaled scores are based on the number of live items that you answered correctly for each subtest. Each multiple-choice subtest is calculated separately.

So your percentile rank does not actually indicate how you did relative to people who took the test at the same time as you, but relative to a norm group of people who took it several years ago, probably because of the same issue that you're talking about.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way. I think the tests are all compared against a given sample year. For example, if the sample was January 2008, then your composite percentile is compared to everyone's performance on that test. They change this every few years or so, updating to a new sample year. I'm pretty certain the composite scores will not change. But it would be wonderful if they did go up a bit when they see how badly everyone did on that reading section (myself included)! Yikes! >.<

Right, beat me to it.

Good guess... but no. From Pearson:

So your percentile rank does not actually indicate how you did relative to people who took the test at the same time as you, but relative to a norm group of people who took it several years ago, probably because of the same issue that you're talking about.

LOL nevermind then !! But that's cool so the Pr% wouldnt change much, which means, im stick with a 19% RC lol !!!

Hey what about writing? Do they count it in the offical PR as well? Or its just a 1 2 3 4 5,0 score standing there by itself?

I forgot to delete my notes from the essay!

Starts off with a list of my main points then my essay. OOPS!

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to delete my notes from the essay!

Starts off with a list of my main points then my essay. OOPS!

I had like 3 or 4 words more to finish the whole essay but ran out of time.
The first one was better than the 2nd one. Which one do you think is experimental ?

No 99s yet? I thought this was the SDN forum! You people are giving Dr. Collins a bad name!!! Just kidding.

Preliminary

Chemistry 95
Biology 96
QA 94
Reading 82
Verbal 48

Composite 93

Yes My verbal was really low and I was 100% it was my best section. Its really depressing, but I fine with it. Here's hoping the essay wasn't two bad. I messed the first one up and messed up the conclusion on the second one.
Great job on reading, what was your technique if I may ask?

Did you read the whole passage first and did you try to read fast or keep a normal reading pace? My big worry is taking too long to read it, then running out of time...but I also don't want to read so fast as to not retain much and get a low score simply for trying to hurry when I don't need to.

Did you read the whole passage first and did you try to read fast or keep a normal reading pace? My big worry is taking too long to read it, then running out of time...but I also don't want to read so fast as to not retain much and get a low score simply for trying to hurry when I don't need to.

I found the easiest was to see what the question was asking, then read it. Sometimes it only asks about specific paragraphs so I'd just read that paragraph. I had 7-8 minutes remaining when I was done with the reading section, but I read really fast

Honestly, I practice speeding reading with Dr. Collins. Then in order to get used to the kinds of questions they asked, I did SAT Comprehension and Pearson. Dr. Collins questions are too easy compared to the actual.

I think a good way to prepare for the reading comp section is READ EVERYDAY AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Pharmacists are obligated by law to stay up on drug literature, so my advice would be spend less time languishing away watching Jerry Springer/Reality Shows, and maybe pick up a book if you aren't content with your RC scores. Less time worshiping the television=more time for reading?

I agree, quantitative was definitely the section where there wasn't nearly enough time. But I managed to clear 90th percentile in everything :D and I'm so happy I don't need to shell out another 200 bucks to take it again.

I think the best part of the test was getting to have my palm vein print taken. The security at Pearson is more intense than the TSA! Although when I came back from my break at first the computer wouldn't verify my print, and I was afraid they would think I had switched myself out with an impostor :laugh:

What was your score on the first pcat and how did you study the second time around?

VA: 68%
Bio: 94%
RC: 52%
QA: 47%
Chem: 72%
Comp: 73%

Do you guys think these scores could give me a competing chance at UT or should I consider retaking?

Last edited:
Took it for the first time today, did well. I'd recommend Dr. Collins and I know a lot of people in this thread are saying the official practice tests didn't help, but from a structural and difficulty standpoint they did- they are not meant to cover specific topics- it is random like the tests.

77 VA
98 Bio
82 RC
86 QA
98 Chem
96 Comp

Last edited:
I know a lot of you and a lot of people in general tend to study a lot for these types of exams, but I really don't see how they can trick anyone? I noticed that many people mentioned they had a time issue...and that makes sense since it's easy to get lost in a problem. But for chem and quantitative...I would assume things are pretty straight up except for those 3-4 problems where you know the topic but can't find the answer. For biology I noticed that the pearson exams were kind of all over the place. Kaplan was much harder although I don't know how trustable their books are. If anyone would care to venture on why there was so much guessing necessary when they took their exam please explain. Thank you.

What was your score on the first pcat and how did you study the second time around?

Second time around? I'm not sure how I gave you that impression. This was my first time taking it. As to how I studied, I just used the Kaplan book and the practice test that came with it. It had a pretty comprehensive bio review and the basics for quant and chem, although the book had annoying typos.

For verbal ability and reading comprehension, I have to echo what some people already said: you can't really study for that in a short amount of time or with a quick and efficient strategy. You just have to read a lot. I've always read constantly since I was a kid, so I think that's what did it for me.

Last edited:
My biggest problem was quantitative. The time was definitely a big issue because when i was taking my practice tests I was also trying to relearn the material so I didn't really optimize for speed like i should have. For reading comprehension I have a lot of trouble figuring out which statements are opinions and which are facts I also have a lot of trouble when questions ask for the author's perception on certain things in the article.

Is dr collins chemistry packet good enough for the test or is that too easy? I do really good on the practice chem ones on dr collins but I'm afraid that on the real one the questions will be much harder :(

Took it for the first time today, did well. I'd recommend Dr. Collins and I know a lot of people in this thread are saying the official practice tests didn't help, but from a structural and difficulty standpoint they did- they are not meant to cover specific topics- it is random like the tests.

77 VA
98 Bio
82 RC
86 QA
98 Chem
96 Comp

I agree with PharmEcon...this was my first time taking as well. I would definitely recommend Dr. Collins. Well worth it!! As many have said, his chem and quant were great. Kaplan was way too much bio info, Collins offered a nice rough outline though. Collins' reading comp was way too easy, the practice tests were closer. I bought all three of the practice tests, and studied similar to ChemGuy of the 99th club ;)
I got:
89 VA
94 BIO
83 RC
93 Quant
96 Chm
96 comp
And yes, I agree the reading comp was ridiculously hard :)

You did great, I'll dream of getting a score like yours tonight. I know someone who got into pharmacy school with a somewhat strong GPA (over 3.5) and a composite below 50%. So to all of you freaking out, calm down...hopefully you have more that will speak for you other than a score on a standardized test.

Where does your friend go to pharm school?

wow that pcat was intense. shoot i thought i was doing okay on the reading comp, but i got a 25% preliminary score:( would such a low reading comp score affect my chances of getting into pharm school? i'm curious as well to know how much different the preliminary score is from the official score too. i hope it goes up by a little. hehe

verbal reasoning 68%
reading comp 25%
biology 91%
chem 93%
quant 83%
composite 80%

the GF got 89 comp with 95ish on chem/bio, 90ish on quant, and 50 on RC.

She is usually an RC queen, and based on what everyone else has said the RC was ridiculous this time.

That being said, what are the chances for a re-norm on the RC and changed scores when the official reports come out?

the GF got 89 comp with 95ish on chem/bio, 90ish on quant, and 50 on RC.

She is usually an RC queen, and based on what everyone else has said the RC was ridiculous this time.

That being said, what are the chances for a re-norm on the RC and changed scores when the official reports come out?

IDK but I hope that pearson takes the reading sections into consideration. I thoroughly read each passage and had time for every question and my reading score was only a 34%! :scared:

Last edited:
Did any of you June 20 PCAT takers use Dr. Collins and think it was helpful? I saw some old forums on how much people liked his packets, but I wonder if the new computerized version anyone still felt the same way.
BTW- does anyone know what the preliminary scores mean?
Thanks

Dr.Collins PCAT is very helpful in preparing you for the PCAT. You're not suppose to just study the questions on his packet, you're suppose to review the broad topics covered within the test questions included in the packet. If you're just studying the Dr.Collins test questions you're doing it wrong.

The preliminary score is a measure of your score compared to a group of students in the past who have already taken the test.

IDK but I hope that pearson takes the reading sections into consideration. I thoroughly read each passage and had time for every question and my reading score was only a 34%! :scared:

Hi5 ! lol

So I set the lowest score in RC so far? lol mannnnn -__- i do hope they will take this part to consideration

Here are my scores

VA-58
BIO-84
RC -35 Uggh :(
QA-90
Chem -99 :)
Composite - 88.

Do you guys think i should retake it?

progress.gif

how accurate do you guys think these preliminary scores?

if I scored an 82 composite but a 32 on reading comp, will that ruin my chances?

Not necessarily. I had a 34 (and then a 27!) on quant... but had a high composite, and a few extremely high subscores, so it can balance out. I'd say it would depend on what the rest of your app looked like.