July 16th MCAT- Complete around August 16th?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopefulpremed123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

It will be my first time applying this cycle and in summary I graduated from UCLA in 2019 with a 3.83 Cgpa/ 3.77 BCPM GPA. During this time I worked hard on my application in regards to clinical experience (2000 hours), community service (1000 hours) and research (have 2 first author publications and an regional conference oral presentation and a poster). Also, I will apply to both MD/ DO and this will be a one and done cycle either way.

My plan is as follows:

1. Submit my primary to one school in June to start the verification process.

2. Take the MCAT on July 16th (pending score return on August 16).

3. On August 2nd or so (two weeks before I will receive my MCAT score), I will add on the schools that don’t screen for an MCAT score/ schools that give secondaries to everyone.

4. Receive my MCAT score on August 16th and submit my secondaries to the schools mentioned above and be complete at these schools.

5. Additionally, on AUG 16th, I will add the rest of the schools, who will screen for an MCAT before sending secondaries.
- hopefully for these schools, I will receive most of them by by the end of August (two weeks after my MCAT score is received)- with the goal of being complete here by the end of August/ Labor Day as well.

How is that looking like in terms of school timelines? Are schools still relatively early in their review process at this time (by AUG 16) or am I at a disadvantage?@LizzyM @gonnif @Moko @Catalystik

My primary is done as of now, so I won’t be working on both MCAT and the PS/ Activties, but I do plan on writing 2 secondaries a week starting now. That way I can have around 28 secondaries done by the time I take my MCAT in July, and then spend the next month cranking out the remaining ones (until August 16th).

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I see a couple of details wrong with your plan:
1. You won't be able to submit secondaries before your primary app is verified and sent to schools.
2. Schools that are selective in sending out their secondaries won't send you one until your app is complete including your MCAT score, and they have to read and screen your primary, so, August at the earliest.
3. You might pre-write secondaries based on prompts from last year, but be SURE the prompts have not changed before sending them in.

Reactions: 2 users
H
I see a couple of details wrong with your plan:
1. You won't be able to submit secondaries before your primary app is verified and sent to schools.
2. Schools that are selective in sending out their secondaries won't send you one until your app is complete including your MCAT score, and they have to read and screen your primary, so, August at the earliest.
3. You might pre-write secondaries based on prompts from last year, but be SURE the prompts have not changed before sending them in.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply! Sorry I’ll clarify my points. I plan on submitting my primary application to a single school early to get the verification process started. In the mean time, I will just work on pre-writing my secondaries based on the previous year’s prompts.

Then around August 1st or so, I will add the rest of my schools onto my primary app (so as to keep true to the two week turnaround). So if my MCAT score comes back by August 16th, and I have my secondaries pre-written, I’ll submit them all on this date.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not trying to bash your plan, but to help you understand the sequence better.
Wait to add your other schools until you KNOW your MCAT score (August 16th). Otherwise you are defeating the purpose of waiting to see your score.
Your score will help you refine your list of schools to apply to.
Adding schools in August will not send your application back to the line for verification, your schools will get it right away.
You still can't submit secondaries until a school gets your primary, and probably reads it or screens it.

Sending a secondary back within 2 weeks of being invited to send one is soon enough. Your prewriting will help.
Good luck!

Agreeing. If you're doing the "submit one to complete verification" step, you should wait until you know your MCAT score to pick your other schools. That said, I think if you were going to apply to them regardless (like your in-state schools), I'd include them in with your first group and get those secondary essays done (pre-write or submit). Add your other schools that you are more uncertain about once you get your scores and know your metrics are in the desirable range.

Reactions: 4 users
Agreeing. If you're doing the "submit one to complete verification" step, you should wait until you know your MCAT score to pick your other schools. That said, I think if you were going to apply to them regardless (like your in-state schools), I'd include them in with your first group and get those secondary essays done (pre-write or submit). Add your other schools that you are more uncertain about once you get your scores and know your metrics are in the desirable range.
Thank you so much for your feedback! I do have one question, if I am complete at most of my schools by August 16th (Primary, MCAT, LOR, Secondaries all completed), how is this looking like in terms of the review timeline?

Are schools still realtively early in their review process by AUG 16th? Even if not, will I be at a disadvantage or will it be okay (on-time)?

I'm not trying to bash your plan, but to help you understand the sequence better.
Wait to add your other schools until you KNOW your MCAT score (August 16th). Otherwise you are defeating the purpose of waiting to see your score.
Your score will help you refine your list of schools to apply to.
Adding schools in August will not send your application back to the line for verification, your schools will get it right away.
You still can't submit secondaries until a school gets your primary, and probably reads it or screens it.

Sending a secondary back within 2 weeks of being invited to send one is soon enough. Your prewriting will help.
Good luck!
Thank you so much for all your help. I will definitely follow your advice. I do have one question, if I am complete at most of my schools by August 16th (Primary, MCAT, LOR, Secondaries all completed), how is this looking like in terms of the review timeline?

Are schools still realtively early in their review process by AUG 16th? Even if not necessarily early, will I be at a disadvantage or will it be okay (on-time)?

You will be at somewhat of a disadvantage compared to those who were verified fully in early July. However, given your otherwise strong profile (and assuming a competitive MCAT) as well as the cost of postponing a year so that you can apply when the class is wide open, just go for it. I assume there are good reasons for your not taking the MCAT earlier.

Definitely somewhat on the later side, but many Adcoms here say that Labor Day is considered “early”

I’m not sure if this remains true since covid

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for your feedback! I do have one question, if I am complete at most of my schools by August 16th (Primary, MCAT, LOR, Secondaries all completed), how is this looking like in terms of the review timeline?

Are schools still realtively early in their review process by AUG 16th? Even if not, will I be at a disadvantage or will it be okay (on-time)?
I’m still trying to figure out how you think you’ll be complete at most of your schools by 8/16. Schools will just get your scores that date. It might take a few days or even weeks for them to,send you a secondary , unless everyone applying gets one. Why do you keep saying that? What am I missing in your application process? Good luck on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m still trying to figure out how you think you’ll be complete at most of your schools by 8/16. Schools will just get your scores that date. It might take a few days or even weeks for them to,send you a secondary , unless everyone applying gets one. Why do you keep saying that? What am I missing in your application process? Good luck on the MCAT.
I'll agree that it varies with the schools of they will wait until your MCAT to send you a secondary or if they'll send it to confirm receipt of the verified AMCAS application. Make sure all your letters are received if your can, though many schools don't require all letters until interview. In other words, let the MCAT score be the last thing to wait upon if you can.
Yes, I think Labor Day can still be early for many schools.

Sorry for the confusion, I’ll try to explain it here and maybe you can correct me if there are any issues:

1. My plan is to submit my primary to one school in June to start the verification process.

3. On August 2nd or so (two weeks before I will receive my MCAT score), I will add on the schools that don’t screen for an MCAT score/ schools that give secondaries to everyone.

4. Receive my MCAT score on August 16th and submit my secondaries to the schools mentioned above and be complete at these schools.

5. Additionally, on AUG 16th, I will add the rest of the schools, who will screen for an MCAT before sending secondaries.
- hopefully for these schools, I will receive most of them by by the end of August (two weeks after my MCAT score is received)- with the goal of being complete here by the end of August/ Labor Day as well.

How does this sound? For schools that do screen, do you think most will send me a secondary within two weeks of receiving my MCAT score on Aug 16? @Mr.Smile12

I can’t thank you guys enough for your help with this. I know for a fact this will be a one and done cycle for me- I’ll be applying DO too, so I’m okay with putting all my eggs in one basket for MD.

I think your timeline sounds very reasonable. Obviously, you adjust based on when you actually receive the secondaries.
The only thing I see iffy, is the cost inefficiency of applying to too many schools since you won’t have any idea of your mcat score which is a huge piece of the school selection. But, that cost is likely worth not having to delay another year.

Why are you taking your mcat so late if you’ve already graduated?

Sorry for the confusion, I’ll try to explain it here and maybe you can correct me if there are any issues:

1. My plan is to submit my primary to one school in June to start the verification process.

How does this sound? For schools that do screen, do you think most will send me a secondary within two weeks of receiving my MCAT score on Aug 16? @Mr.Smile12

I can’t thank you guys enough for your help with this. I know for a fact this will be a one and done cycle for me- I’ll be applying DO too, so I’m okay with putting all my eggs in one basket for MD.
What you are missing is that the one school "throwaway" strategy is to avoid potentially being a reapplicant at schools where the MCAT will make you uncompetitive, by not sending a primary to those schools until you know your MCAT score. If you are going to take a shot blind, without waiting for your scores, there is no reason not to just apply to all of your schools on Day One.

If you are going to wait until 8/16 to send those primaries, you are not going to be complete on 8/16, and probably won't be complete everywhere even by Labor Day, because all schools, even those that do not screen, will not send you a secondary immediately upon receipt of your primary. They space them out based on their work flows. As a result, you might be waiting a few weeks for some secondaries.

THIS is why people are confused by what you are trying to do. A July MCAT is late for a first test for most people. Not early. And not on time. You are not an exception.

If your score doesn't suck, you'll be fine for DO and will be maximizing your chances of ending up at a DO school by reducing your chances at the MD schools. If you want to maximize your MD chances, you'll wait another year and take the test in time to apply at the end of May or beginning of June, with a score, allowing enough time for a retake or two if necessary

You graduated 3 years ago now. Your anxiety to get on with it is understandable, but you are coming here in April without a MCAT score or the ability to get one in the next month or two, asking if you will be able to apply early this year. The answer is no, unless you are willing to apply blind, without a score, and hope for the best. Which seems to be your plan, since you are misunderstanding the objective and mechanics of the throwaway strategy. Good luck!

Last edited:
What you are missing is that the one school "throwaway" strategy is to avoid potentially being a reapplicant at schools where the MCAT will make you uncompetitive, by not sending a primary to those schools until you know your MCAT score. If you are going to take a shot blind, without waiting for your scores, there is no reason not to just apply to all of your schools on Day One.

If you are going to wait until 8/16 to send those primaries, you are not going to be complete on 8/16, and probably won't be complete everywhere even by Labor Day, because all schools, even those that do not screen, will not send you a secondary immediately upon receipt of your primary. They space them out based on their work flows. As a result, you might be waiting a few weeks for some secondaries.

THIS is why people are confused by what you are tyring to do. A July MCAT is late for a first test for most people. Not early. And not on time. You are not an exception.

If your score doesn't suck, you'll be fine for DO and will be maximizing your chances of ending up at a DO school by reducing your chances at the MD schools. If you want to maximize your MD chances, you'll wait another year and take the test in time to apply at the end of May or beginning of June, with a score, allowing enough time for a retake or two if necessary

You graduated 3 years ago now. Your anxiety to get on with it is understandable, but you are coming here in April without a MCAT score or the ability to get one in the next month or two, asking if you will be able to apply early this year. The answer is no, unless you are willing to apply blind, without a score, and hope for the best. Which seems to be your plan, since you are misunderstanding the objective and mechanics of the throwaway strategy. Good luck!

I am completely fine with applying blind and without a score. I will trust in my practice exams and hopefully perform as well on the real deal too; I will not be retaking it. I also want to preface my comments below by saying that I am pre-writing my secondaries.

So firstly, the reason I don't want to add all my schools on day one is because I want to turn in my secondaries within 2 weeks of receiving them. If I add all my non screening schools on day 1 and I am verified by say the end of June, then my application will just be on hold at all these schools until August 16th, when my mcat is received, even if my secondary is submitted. Having said that, it's important I submit to one school to get the verification completed and avoid delays on that front.

1. Secondly, that's why I plan on adding all my non screening schools two weeks (So on August 2nd) before I receive my score (On August 16th). I presume that even with workflow delays, 2 weeks is sufficient time to receive the secondaries from all non-screening schools and having pre-written all of the secondaries in advance, they will be submitted on August 16th. So, I will be complete at these schools by August 16th, will I not? Do you not think that I will receive my secondaries within two weeks of primary submission at these schools, if my app was already verified much earlier? Do you think I should maybe add all these schools 3 weeks before my score releases to give it some more lee-way?

2. Thirdly, I will add all my screening schools on August 16th, when my MCAT score is received. For these schools, I understand that I won't obviously be complete by August 16th, but I would imagine that I would get atleast some or majority of them withing 2-3 weeks right? So even for these, I should be complete at most places by the end of August and early September, I think.

Please let me know what you think! Thanks

I am completely fine with applying blind and without a score. I will trust in my practice exams and hopefully perform as well on the real deal too; I will not be retaking it. I also want to preface my comments below by saying that I am pre-writing my secondaries.

So firstly, the reason I don't want to add all my schools on day one is because I want to turn in my secondaries within 2 weeks of receiving them. If I add all my non screening schools on day 1 and I am verified by say the end of June, then my application will just be on hold at all these schools until August 16th, when my mcat is received, even if my secondary is submitted. Having said that, it's important I submit to one school to get the verification completed and avoid delays on that front.

1. Secondly, that's why I plan on adding all my non screening schools two weeks (So on August 2nd) before I receive my score (On August 16th). I presume that even with workflow delays, 2 weeks is sufficient time to receive the secondaries from all non-screening schools and having pre-written all of the secondaries in advance, they will be submitted on August 16th. So, I will be complete at these schools by August 16th, will I not? Do you not think that I will receive my secondaries within two weeks of primary submission at these schools, if my app was already verified much earlier? Do you think I should maybe add all these schools 3 weeks before my score releases to give it some more lee-way?

2. Thirdly, I will add all my screening schools on August 16th, when my MCAT score is received. For these schools, I understand that I won't obviously be complete by August 16th, but I would imagine that I would get atleast some or majority of them withing 2-3 weeks right? So even for these, I should be complete at most places by the end of August and early September, I think.

Please let me know what you think! Thanks
I now understand that you were not intending to use the throwaway strategy and are okay with the risk of applying blind. All of the SDN adcoms would STRONGLY advise against that.

I happen to think your perceived need to submit secondaries within 2 weeks is overblown. That's a rule of thumb, but is a hard requirement at very few schools. I think UCLA was one last cycle, but they also prescreen, so that wouldn't be an issue for you there.

As long as you are okay with the risk, yes, your timing will work. OTOH, I do not think the upside of getting secondaries without a MCAT in literally 2 weeks earlier is worth the tremendous downside if your score turns out not to be as good as your practice exams lead you to believe it will be. Good luck!

THIS is why people are confused by what you are trying to do. A July MCAT is late for a first test for most people. Not early. And not on time. You are not an exception.

Being that his plan is to only apply once, and assuming that he will be totally prepared for his mcat exam, and we know scores don’t change much for retakes, he might as well apply as you indicated to all schools on an extended list. If his actual score comes back as non competitive for some schools he doesn’t have to pay for the secondary app fees (if there are any, IDR). I don’t think this way he will be too late, not early, but definitely not late.

Hello Everyone,

It will be my first time applying this cycle and in summary I graduated from UCLA in 2019 with a 3.83 Cgpa/ 3.77 BCPM GPA. During this time I worked hard on my application in regards to clinical experience (2000 hours), community service (1000 hours) and research (have 2 first author publications and an regional conference oral presentation and a poster). Also, I will apply to both MD/ DO and this will be a one and done cycle either way.

My plan is as follows:

1. Submit my primary to one school in June to start the verification process.

How is that looking like in terms of school timelines? Are schools still relatively early in their review process at this time (by AUG 16) or am I at a disadvantage?@LizzyM @gonnif @Moko @Catalystik

My primary is done as of now, so I won’t be working on both MCAT and the PS/ Activties, but I do plan on writing 2 secondaries a week starting now. That way I can have around 28 secondaries done by the time I take my MCAT in July, and then spend the next month cranking out the remaining ones (until August 16th).

Thanks
I feel very inexperienced but how do you know what to write for your PS and what potential secondaries will ask if the application hasn't been opened? How do I access these ahead of time so I can get a head start? TYIA.

I feel very inexperienced but how do you know what to write for your PS and what potential secondaries will ask if the application hasn't been opened? How do I access these ahead of time so I can get a head start? TYIA.
The personal statement has the same prompt every year. Secondaries are also typically the same prompt, so people pre-write those since they’ve been released online. I don’t have the links on-hand, but they come up readily with a Google search. Best of luck :)

You can probably search the forums for secondary essay prompts... Will try to find the link. Certainly search the school specific forums.
Thank you so much. I have been able to locate the prompts using Google. I just had no idea that was possible!