Judge tells CVS Pharmacy to Fill Pain Doctors RX's...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
Judge sides with pain physician, orders CVS to resume filling his scripts

Laura Dyrda - an hour ago Print | Email
Share Listen

Crestview Hills, Ky.-based Kendall Hansen, MD, won a temporary restraining order against CVS Pharmacy, which stopped filling prescriptions for his patients earlier this year.

Dr. Hansen, an interventional pain physician who prescribes controlled substances as part of his treatment regimens for some patients, was granted a temporary restraining order against CVS Pharmacy Aug. 11. The company is now required to fill prescriptions written by Dr. Hansen.

In June, CVS contacted Dr. Hansen with questions about his prescribing practices but did not express concerns about whether Dr. Hansen's prescriptions were medically necessary. CVS then sent a letter to Dr. Hansen July 28 to say pharmacists in northern Kentucky would stop filling prescriptions for his patients.

Dr. Hansen sued CVS on Aug. 4, arguing the company's refusal to fill his prescriptions would cost him patients and imply the prescriptions he wrote in the past were illegitimate or improper. Dr. Hansen said he has more than 250 patients who fill prescriptions at CVS locations.

In issuing the restraining order, U.S. District Judge William Bartelsman wrote Dr. Hansen was likely to succeed in his lawsuit alleging CVS Pharmacy interfered with his patient relationships by not filling prescriptions without evidence that Dr. Hansen had broken the law.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

The doctor was correct. I disagree with his BZD Rx's, but could have been procedural or MRI related for 1-2 pills.

And there is this *****:

Reactions: 3 users
Did you mean to post your own prescriber check up profile at the bottom as well

Members don't see this ad :)
19 injections in two years for one patient. The horror. So 10 injections in a year. Let's say... LESI times 2, LMBB x 2, LRFA unilateral times 4, bilateral knee injections. Ok I'm at 10 pretty fast. Or I could prescribe 6 percocet a day instead and now Im at 2100 pills/year for the patient. Terrible doctor.

There is a very slippery slope going on. Kinda damned if you do or dont.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
19 injections in two years for one patient. The horror. So 10 injections in a year. Let's say... LESI times 2, LMBB x 2, LRFA unilateral times 4, bilateral knee injections. Ok I'm at 10 pretty fast. Or I could prescribe 6 percocet a day instead and now Im at 2100 pills/year for the patient. Terrible doctor.

There is a very slippery slope going on. Kinda damned if you do or dont.
Just do both and send to your in house PT, UDS, wife/psychology. After a few million dollars you lose the cares.

Judge sides with pain physician, orders CVS to resume filling his scripts

Laura Dyrda - an hour ago Print | Email
Share Listen

Crestview Hills, Ky.-based Kendall Hansen, MD, won a temporary restraining order against CVS Pharmacy, which stopped filling prescriptions for his patients earlier this year.

Dr. Hansen, an interventional pain physician who prescribes controlled substances as part of his treatment regimens for some patients, was granted a temporary restraining order against CVS Pharmacy Aug. 11. The company is now required to fill prescriptions written by Dr. Hansen.

In June, CVS contacted Dr. Hansen with questions about his prescribing practices but did not express concerns about whether Dr. Hansen's prescriptions were medically necessary. CVS then sent a letter to Dr. Hansen July 28 to say pharmacists in northern Kentucky would stop filling prescriptions for his patients.

Dr. Hansen sued CVS on Aug. 4, arguing the company's refusal to fill his prescriptions would cost him patients and imply the prescriptions he wrote in the past were illegitimate or improper. Dr. Hansen said he has more than 250 patients who fill prescriptions at CVS locations.

In issuing the restraining order, U.S. District Judge William Bartelsman wrote Dr. Hansen was likely to succeed in his lawsuit alleging CVS Pharmacy interfered with his patient relationships by not filling prescriptions without evidence that Dr. Hansen had broken the law.

One of my colleagues who is a pain physician recently got blacklisted by Walmart, as they stopped filling all of his prescribed controlled medications at their pharmacies. As far as I know, he was pretty conservative with his opiate prescribing, as the majority of his patients on opiates were at or under 60 MME. I am not sure what advice I can offer him besides possibly suing to be reinstated or having him tell his patients to switch to other pharmacies. Maybe someone on here has some advice for what he should do. Should we be concerned that this practice among pharmacies may become more commonplace?

Just do both and send to your in house PT, UDS, wife/psychology. After a few million dollars you lose the cares.
Do you have a setup like this? You own your own practice and have all of that?

One of my colleagues who is a pain physician recently got blacklisted by Walmart, as they stopped filling all of his prescribed controlled medications at their pharmacies. As far as I know, he was pretty conservative with his opiate prescribing, as the majority of his patients on opiates were at or under 60 MME. I am not sure what advice I can offer him besides possibly suing to be reinstated or having him tell his patients to switch to other pharmacies. Maybe someone on here has some advice for what he should do. Should we be concerned that this practice among pharmacies may become more commonplace?

Happened to me as well. They also notified the state boards - talk about idiotic. One board contacted me about it and I had to write up a statement. They wouldn't cooperate with the medical board or return their calls or emails either. I also just got notified I "violated hippa" by a patient a discharged for opioid contract violation. He/She is threatening to tell the state board. Medicine is starting to suck more and more sometimes. Oh and medicare cuts yay

The doctor was correct. I disagree with his BZD Rx's, but could have been procedural or MRI related for 1-2 pills.

And there is this *****:
Steve let’s get your Bupinorphine scripts up and those fentanyl/dilaudid scripts down… 😂
Big tramadol fan myself.

It's crazy to me Propublica only has data from 2016. There has been a lot of change since then....

Steve let’s get your Bupinorphine scripts up and those fentanyl/dilaudid scripts down… 😂
Big tramadol fan myself.
Bupe and Ultram great for most of my patients.
But my palliative care folks insist on dying not in agony as they transition to hospice or pass on.

Also:

Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 1.38.03 PM.png

And here is the new website: