Judge dismisses doctors’ lawsuit against ABIM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMetal

To shred or not shred?
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Judge dismisses doctors’ lawsuit against ABIM

Well, so much for that. I guess it's hard to argue that the ABIM's MOC was the reason for getting fired (you're more likely to have a case against the health network that hired you, that requires ABIM MOC). But I thought the 'monopoly' argument was sound.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Courts are specific and pedantic and it is true that after initial certification you are not required to buy or participate in MOC. Your certification will reflect you are not participating in MOC.

You would have a better chance suing to get rid of the “participating” or “not participating” part based on implications of the descriptor. But you can’t say that you are forced to do MOC.

The bottom line is that most employers (or hospital credentialing) want BC and then MOC and this is the crux of the issue. ABIM only provides the certification service. The real party causing the grievance is the employer or hospital . Though they also have a right to stipulate what kind of physicians they want. Going after ABIM as an end around the fight against employers and hospitals seems like a losing scheme.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like doctors will have to find another route to put pressure to put reins on MOC, besides finding that it's illegal. Policies that suck but aren't illegal can still be battled, just not in court.

The bottom line is that most employers (or hospital credentialing) want BC and then MOC

They want BC/MOC, because we (physicians) made such a big deal out of it.

So here's my question: once everyone becomes BC'd and participates in MOC---and I mean everyone , no doctor in her right mind will avoid BC/MOC if its necessary to get a good job---once BC/MOC is the new baseline, then what comes next?

What next credential will be used to distinguish one doctor from the next? What next credential will be dangled as a carrot over our heads, in this endless pursuit to one up each other? Will everyone then strive to become FACP? First it'll be optional, then in 20 years it'll be required? MACP?

We're never happy, we're constantly building layers on this cake, and the cake doesn't even taste good!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Step1--->step2 CK--->step2 CS--->step3---> 10k+ hrs practicing under supervision and still not good enough.

MOC is much more about making sure people staying up to date on the newest and best practices usually based on the available data.

It can be easy to lose track of some of these things when working especially when you add in family and or hobbies/interests.

Every MOC module I’ve done has taught me something new about the management of this or that.

I think it’s an overall good not an overall bad. I don’t like coercion much either but I also do things like keep my DEA up to date, my state license current, and get a flu shot every year.

This seems a little like a marine complaining he has to carry a pack and a rifle.

Reactions: 1 users