JSGME and the "point system"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docpetey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i had a question about the good old point system used in the JSGME application.

i understand that a medical student applying in their 4th year will have less points than someone who did an intern year or a GMO tour. and if they just point you up and place your application in a stack of most points to least, than most 4th year students will be in a tough position at the bottom of the totem pole.

so my question is for the more competitive residencies. do they factor in at all if someone who did an intern year or GMO has the overall application to match in the civilian world (in terms of board scores, AOA, etc.).

it doesn't make sense to me to allow someone a civilian deferrment in the military match if they won't be competitive in the civilian match.

any thoughts? just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

docpetey said:

Here is the best summary of GME board scoring (USAF though) and this is from a Radiology perspective, but it essentially works the same thru all. As you know, there is always a little room for a "fudge factor" figures. But, as you will see, a GMO or FS tour and any published items/research or prior service is difficult to overcome unless that person's board scores really sucked or their letters/performance reports weren't good.

Here's the link: http://rad.usuhs.mil/rad/handouts/sanders/radiology_interest_group_ho.pdf

docpetey said:

i understand that a medical student applying in their 4th year will have less points than someone who did an intern year or a GMO tour. and if they just point you up and place your application in a stack of most points to least, than most 4th year students will be in a tough position at the bottom of the totem pole.

so my question is for the more competitive residencies. do they factor in at all if someone who did an intern year or GMO has the overall application to match in the civilian world (in terms of board scores, AOA, etc.).

it doesn't make sense to me to allow someone a civilian deferrment in the military match if they won't be competitive in the civilian match.

any thoughts? just curious.

As for the Army, YES! You are correct sir! (Best Johnny Carson voice). You will never have as many points as someone who is comming back from the field. This same situation applies if you are wanting to go do a fellowship. You have to look at what points are obtainable w/o field experience and maximize those points, so that you can compete against people who have not. The Army doesn't care about AOA, GPA, or any other acronym that may mean something when it comes to competing against guys from the field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the army point system similar to the link published on this thread for AF radiology? If so, seems as though research is very very important!

Chopperdoc,
I'm thinking the scoring must be very similiar b/c the GME board is a Tri-service thing and we all send basically the same type of application format. You might consider asking an Army PD or someone in the know, but I'd bet it is this format or something extremely close to it.

For my specialty, I was told - and I assume this to be true - that 80% of the residency slots are earmarked for 4th-year students. So, all the folks coming back into training or from an internship aren't competing for the same slots. I'm not sure how universal this is, however. Anyone else hear the same thing?

colbgw02 said:
For my specialty, I was told - and I assume this to be true - that 80% of the residency slots are earmarked for 4th-year students. So, all the folks coming back into training or from an internship aren't competing for the same slots. I'm not sure how universal this is, however. Anyone else hear the same thing?

When I was applying for residency points were awarded by:
25% breakdown of class rank
board scores
publications, multiple publications=mult points in peer reviewed journal
prior service
fitreps (didn't matter from operational or hospital)
prior medical experience
I'm probably missing a couple of catagories

So if you are #1 in your class, have top board scores and published a ton peer reviewed material, you can beat out the average GMO/intern who is also applying for the same program.

does anyone have the most updated list for the amount of points given and for which categories?

thanks.

I was told (so this is hearsay, technically) that the "intern selection board" is sort of a defacto board-within-a-board and that it does not function exactly like the part of the board that selects GME2+, for the Navy anyhow. I was told the "fudge-factor" may have greater weight and that the specialty leaders have a great deal of input. Take this with a grain of salt. However, if you're a Navy HPSP'er I can tell you that making an impression on your specialty leader is extremely important in getting what you want.

spang

r90t said:
So if you are #1 in your class, have top board scores and published a ton peer reviewed material, you can beat out the average GMO/intern who is also applying for the same program.

Good to know that the number 1 applicant can beat out an average applicant.