Joint program: MPH in Epidemiology/M.S. in Human Genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asterismos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Epidemiology (infectious diseases) and Human Genetics (not really genetic consulting) are my two favorite parts of science. I know they don't necessarily go hand-in-hand well, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any such joint programs.
Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Genetic epidemiology is a very large field. If you look at the latest issues of Nature Genetics, many papers are a GWAS (genome-wide association study), which is an epidemiologic design. If you also look at Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers, and Prevention, this journal is an epidemiology journal that features a lot of genetic epidemiology papers as well as other biologic design elements.

Thanks!
I see that many MPH Epidemiology programs also offer certificates in public health genetics. Does anyone with experience in such a certificate know if there is adequate lab/research work? Or is it more paper-based?

Thanks!
I see that many MPH Epidemiology programs also offer certificates in public health genetics. Does anyone with experience in such a certificate know if there is adequate lab/research work? Or is it more paper-based?

Every program will vary, so it's worth checking out each one to see what will fit your needs. The trickiest parts will likely be in the statistical analysis portions, and there should be a strong focus on these parts of study.