Joining the military dental corps at 48 y.o., am I insane?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dillyding

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've started dental school later in my life and I will be in 48y.o. by the time I graduate. I know it sounds crazy but I'd like to join the military dental corps to pay back my loans and hopefully complete residency. For those of you who's served or serving as a military dentist, have you seen older people like me? Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Your age is a problem!
It takes a waiver to join the military after age 35.
At the moment the military is dialing down on dentists. I am guessing a waiver for a 48 year old dentist is going to be very unlikely these days.
Sorry,

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a colleague who is 37 and on HPSP (Army) and was accepted into OMFS this year.

I understand 48 is a decade older, but nonetheless - the worst they can say is no.

Reactions: 1 user

need to talk to a recruiter to get specifics. The oldest person I met at COT was a prior E who was maybe 35

but all branches are struggling to get rid of dentists. slots are decreasing, direct accession is a thing of the past, and retention bonuses are being stripped. if this is your dream go for it, but it'd help to diversify a little imo

need to talk to a recruiter to get specifics. The oldest person I met at COT was a prior E who was maybe 35

but all branches are struggling to get rid of dentists. slots are decreasing, direct accession is a thing of the past, and retention bonuses are being stripped. if this is your dream go for it, but it'd help to diversify a little imo

Do you feel this is cyclical or a permanent thing? My understanding is the Air Force Reserve and Navy Reserve are not taking any direct commissions right now.

Look into the Army Reserves. As of Oct. 2019, General Dentist were still critical needs.

Thanks for the replies. Why are the Army Reserve and National Guard still processing applications for direct commissions? Are they more immune to these military dentistry cuts?

I've started dental school later in my life and I will be in 48y.o. by the time I graduate. I know it sounds crazy but I'd like to join the military dental corps to pay back my loans and hopefully complete residency. For those of you who's served or serving as a military dentist, have you seen older people like me? Any advice would be appreciated.
I am in the process of applying to the Army and I am 47yrs old. I don't need a loan repayment. I am considering this as a option at this point in my life. Not sure if its a good idea. But going through the process. I graduated 16 yrs ago. Am I insane?

Not insane at all. The Reserves might be just the ticket. There are waivers for everything. If you dont ask, you will never know. I am a new Navy Reserve Officer recruiter covering MI and IN, if I can be of service please reach out.

While I was in BOLC, there were a few people in the short course who were dentists, on the older side, and in the reserves. There was even one individual who was about the age of 60 who got a waiver and trained with us.