Joined this website for info, and Taken back by the negativity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MedKid8399

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I joined to student doctor net in order to gain info on various professions including podiatry, optometry, DO/MD, and dental professions. If I had analyzed the discussions for one week and came to my own conclusions, I would think that all medical professions are not worth it. That’s how negative and depressing some of the info has been on here. Instead of objective numbers on admissions, what people enjoy about their jobs, and why people Chose to enter into the medical field, I have seen a lot of the opposite. I commonly run into things like “you wasted years of your life, or that’s for kids who couldn’t get into XYZ school, or DO NOT ENTER THIS FIELD.”

Now, I understand reality is reality, but all jobs have their ups and downs. There’s no reason to shame professions because of your personal experience, or even say not to enter a profession that you have not even been employed in. Yeah, maybe one or two of the fields on this site have poorer job prospects nowadays, but think next time before you blurt something out.
Posts hould be taken with a grain of salt. I just read that out of 18,000 podiatrists, about 20 are on this site, much less than one percent. Some of them are negative and that gives a terrible overview of the profession as a whole. I think something should be done in terms of filtering posts and verifying users. Medical field includes many fulfilling careers, but often that’s not the perspective one gets from this site. There’s no place here for you to vent your concerns with your personal work environment, which is n=1, and ruin it for those that want to enter the field. Many kids and adults take this information seriously and to heart.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you mention to anyone when a flight takes off on time?

Human nature to bitch.
I am human
I bitch. ;)

I can’t see myself running a business, working as a pharmacist, driving a truck, being a pilot etc etc.

Having realistic expectations of what to expect is likely to lead to less disillusionment and hence likely less people quitting or switching.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.