Johns Hopkins VS St. Jude children research hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mhmd1ahmd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
which is better for someone pursuing a pediatrics residency and a fellowship in medical genetics?
1. Two months of research at Johns Hopkins in computational genomics with a very good chance of publishing one paper.
2. One month clinical rotation in pediatrics surgical oncology at St. Jude children research hospital in Tennessee.
I understand that the clinical rotation is superior to research but it is Johns Hopkins!

Members don't see this ad.

If you get a pub then definitely research. Doing a clinical rotation doesn't do much for you. Might make some contacts but in the end it will only help you with that specific place. And that's if you impress them which might be hard (don't know what stage in medical education you are right now).

A pub goes on your CV and everyone sees it.

Reactions: 1 user
2 months and a paper seems like a tight deadline unless most of the work has already been done. But seeing how the future of biomedical research is going, getting some training in computational genomics might be a useful endeavor.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As you are an IMG based on your other posts, unless you have other significant US clinical experience I don't think this is a close decision--clinical rotation all the way. St. Jude is also an excellent institution and well-recognized across the country, so you shouldn't think of Johns Hopkins being so much better than St. Jude. And while research would be nice, USCE is a MUST.

And honestly a 2 month timeline to publish a paper seems unrealistic--perhaps they mean that you would make contributions that would EVENTUALLY lead to inclusion on a publication, but not necessarily in a timely manner, in which case that doesn't help you at all.

Reactions: 1 user
As you are an IMG based on your other posts, unless you have other significant US clinical experience I don't think this is a close decision--clinical rotation all the way. St. Jude is also an excellent institution and well-recognized across the country, so you shouldn't think of Johns Hopkins being so much better than St. Jude. And while research would be nice, USCE is a MUST.

And honestly a 2 month timeline to publish a paper seems unrealistic--perhaps they mean that you would make contributions that would EVENTUALLY lead to inclusion on a publication, but not necessarily in a timely manner, in which case that doesn't help you at all.

Just a M1, but this!! As someone who worked there pre-medical school they have amazing faculty (including some very well known geneticist) and are constantly ranked amongst the best pediatric hospitals in the world for their specialty. Also, at least based on my experience there, it would be very easy for you to get research if you were impressive during your clinical stint (they have tons of funding and tons of labs happy to take medical students).