'Johns Hopkins has first black female neurosurgeon resident'

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Myron Rolle vs Nancy Abu-Bonsrah. Battle of the neurosurgeons

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is like those ESPN headlines that just look for random stats like "steph curry was the first basketball player to ever have 27 points, 6 assists, 7 steals, and drink 3 cups of gatorade on a Thursday during leap year"

Reactions: 30 users
What would be better is not drawing attention to it, because it shouldn't be surprising. It's 2017.

Reactions: 28 users
This is like those ESPN headlines that just look for random stats like "steph curry was the first basketball player to ever have 27 points, 6 assists, 7 steals, and drink 3 cups of gatorade on a Thursday during leap year"
GOAT

Reactions: 1 user
Any idea of her husband's department? An impressive couples match.

what does Ja Rule think?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Whats next ?A black president? Why is this news?
Seeing stories like this is important for a lot of people who traditionally don't see physicians of color at all, let alone in such a prestigious position. For the lay person, the only black neurosurgeon they know of is Ben Carson, and unfortunately he now is committed to embarrassing himself with every public appearance. Young black women need role models too and visibility is crucial. Hearing a story like this when I was in high school would have definitely inspired me.

Congrats to her and her husband!

Reactions: 67 users
Can always count on w19 for starting important threads.

I think it is a relatively good thread for him. Representation of all peoples within medicine is beneficial and provides role models for children to aspire towards.

Reactions: 6 users
Ok ok. I take it back.
Obviously who could disagree with this only being a good thing.

Some people on this thread likely. I find it weird when people approach reality with a color blind perspective.

Reactions: 7 users
Seeing stories like this is important for a lot of people who traditionally don't see physicians of color at all, let alone in such a prestigious position. For the lay person, the only black neurosurgeon they know of is Ben Carson, and unfortunately he now is committed to embarrassing himself with every public appearance. Young black women need role models too and visibility is crucial. Hearing a story like this when I was in high school would have definitely inspired me.

I understand the concept. First Woman and First African American Neurosurgeon: Alexa Irene Canady, M.D.. Just because someone doesnt know that trail blazers exist doesnt mean they dont exisit. The more we treat this as news the more it feeds into the perception that this is special or abnormal. This should be considered normal, another capable black woman matching into a good residency. Nothing to see here.

Reactions: 8 users
The media's perception of neurosurgery is what is more interesting to me. It never happens, until it happens in neurosurgery. We could have the first black female dean of medicine and you'd never hear about it.

Don't get me wrong, neurosurgery ftw, but still, interesting.

So we can endlessly debate MD v. DO, MD v. NP, and other nonsense but post something about a Black woman achieving something remarkable and people wanna b*tch about why this is news? Seriously? Are medical students really that effing myopic?

Reactions: 5 users
One thread, literally one single thread celebrating this woman and her amazing achievement... and you guys have to bring your rain to this parade?

Reactions: 15 users
So we can endlessly debate MD v. DO, MD v. NP, and other nonsense but post something about a Black woman achieving something remarkable and people wanna b*tch about why this is news? Seriously? Are medical students really that effing myopic?

Nah. I feel like most of us just really don't care what color a person is... We see people for their accomplishments not their color. So all this story is to me is "A couple was obviously super great applicants to couples match at Johns Hopkins".

Its not like a million african american females have tried to get NS at JH... we have no way of knowing that. She could be the first to rank them #1 (if she did) and match... that less of a feel good story and more of a logistical story IMO.

Reactions: 1 users
This actually became a news story because one of her friends congratulated her on twitter, and the tweet went viral. There are hundreds of replies to that tweet from people asking her contact information so they can glean advice. She's already an inspiration for the black community, especially young black women, and I think that's fantastic. It's not a feel good story for some people here, but it's a feel good story for thousands of people nationally.

Reactions: 17 users

In Myron Rolle we trust

The media's perception of neurosurgery is what is more interesting to me. It never happens, until it happens in neurosurgery. We could have the first black female dean of medicine and you'd never hear about it.

Don't get me wrong, neurosurgery ftw, but still, interesting.

You can thank Ben Carson for that

inb4 someone questions her credentials.

Hey, you guys actually made it 3 posts in before you laid a giant turd on this story. I'm kind of impressed, I was expecting it to be the first reply.

One thread, literally one single thread celebrating this woman and her amazing achievement... and you guys have to bring your rain to this parade?

OP wanted a flame war , he's quite an expert in trolling either that or he thinks we don't read CNN articles.

Some people on this thread likely. I find it weird when people approach reality with a color blind perspective.

Didn't some doctor have a dream about that a while back? Something about judging people not by the color of their skin but by the content of their character? I don't know, I wasn't particularly good at history so maybe I am mistaken.

For real though, wonderful accomplishment for this woman and I am sure she will be extremely successful in whatever she decides to do after residency.

Nah. I feel like most of us just really don't care what color a person is... We see people for their accomplishments not their color. So all this story is to me is "A couple was obviously super great applicants to couples match at Johns Hopkins".

Its not like a million african american females have tried to get NS at JH... we have no way of knowing that. She could be the first to rank them #1 (if she did) and match... that less of a feel good story and more of a logistical story IMO.

Too bad the real world doesn't work this way. That's why articles such as these are important

Reactions: 10 users
Didn't some doctor have a dream about that a while back? Something about judging people not by the color of their skin but by the content of their character? I don't know, I wasn't particularly good at history so maybe I am mistaken.

For real though, wonderful accomplishment for this woman and I am sure she will be extremely successful in whatever she decides to do after residency.

You are mistaken if you interpreted that as the day we all were seen the same by each other. People's identity and experiences are influenced by their race and people those who they can identify with. Hence why it's still important to show the accomplishments of communities until a day comes in which we no longer need to say that someone was a first.

Reactions: 5 users
Neurosurgery used to be really impressive, then Ben Carson opened his mouth. Now no one cares..good for her let's move along.

QFT

It's unfortunate Ben Carson has turned out to be such an imbecile, but I can still remember where I was in my bedroom when I opened Gifted Hands and started reading it. Without that book, I don't think my path in life would have lead towards medicine.

Just to reiterate what was said above, stories like these are extraordinarily influential for young African-American children in allowing them to believe they are capable of achieving whatever they want in life, whether it be in medicine or some other career. I'm not a fan of over-publicizing things either... I've also grown tired of hearing about Myron Rolle, despite the fact that he's a beast and is clearly going to do well in life. However, sometimes I have to take a step back and realize the impact stories like these have. If there's even just one high school/college boy who saw sports as his only way out and hears about Rolle and he decides to go into medicine instead or even just one M1 AA female who was considering Neurosurgery, but was scared about the diversity of the field or her ability to match into a competitive location, then these stories are worth it. It's 2017, but unfortunately, not all African-American youth actually believe that "anything is possible."

Reactions: 9 users
Funny, I read that article a little while ago and my thoughts...

Neurosurgery has rankings and it seems odd that a program, regardless of specialty is taking "2-5" residents per year.
Why is that odd?

Why is that odd?

There aren't "rankings" for residency. There are different quality programs for sure and where you go does matter, but there is no list of, "#1, #2, #3..." Despite what most pre-meds and their parents think, that simply isn't how residency works. USNews for medical school is a bit silly, but any list or ranking of residency programs is going to be bull****.

ACGME gives programs a certain number of slots per year. It is very unusual for there to be fluctuations year to year in recruitment. It is one thing for people to go to the lab, go to a different program, etc. But, from a match perspective, they have a certain number of slots, they don't change the number they recruit each year by 150%.

Reactions: 4 users
Where are all the African American physicians?

Seems like all the black doctors and medical students I see are never American.

Where are all the African American physicians?

Seems like all the black doctors and medical students I see are never American.

Had this talk a few times with some people. It shouldn't matter, but it is relevant, because it suggests the target of who the efforts to increase black representation in medicine isn't really getting reached. I was born in this country, but neither of my parents were. When I think of the "AAs" I know in medical school in this graduating class from a few different programs, I can only think of 1 who was born here AND has parents from here. Progress is progress and you have to realize some time ago, to have this degree of representation from people of color within the field at all would not have been possible. There just needs to be greater efforts at advising youth in all inner-city neighborhoods and in time that "issue" will fix itself. Until then, try not to marginalize the success of any minority in medicine. There are many people who travel a difficult path to get here, Caucasians, Asians, Indians included, and nobody should be made to feel less accomplished because they aren't "real" enough for select others.

Reactions: 2 users
This is the best post made by a person with a username with 3 letters and 3 numbers ever made on a Monday after 5 PM.

Reactions: 4 users
I understand the concept. First Woman and First African American Neurosurgeon: Alexa Irene Canady, M.D.. Just because someone doesnt know that trail blazers exist doesnt mean they dont exisit. The more we treat this as news the more it feeds into the perception that this is special or abnormal. This should be considered normal, another capable black woman matching into a good residency. Nothing to see here.

But it isn't normal. I am not sure why people still find it surprising that a group that was discriminated against for much of America's history is still playing catchup. More stories like this can uplift and inspire more black students.

Reactions: 6 users
They playing sports bro

f29.png