joelcigan: Pre-Med Advice / Resume

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions regarding my chances of acceptance into medical school:
I received my A.S. in Life Science at Fresno City College (a community college) and the Dean's Medallion with an overall gpa of 3.787. I transferred to UC Davis after two years of study at Fresno City College and graduated from there with a B.A. in Italian and a B.S. in Biology with an overall gpa of 3.2, 2.7 Science gpa, and a 3.50 combined with that of the community college (I took most of the prerequisites for med school there except for ochem which I took at UCD). Should I take the MCAT this April even with this undergrad GPA? Should I consider a different career or go to grad school to boost my gpa?

Thanks.

Joel
[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

It is true that admissions committees look critically at grades that have declined after transferring from a community college to a four year college. This is because, in general, the transition reflects a change to a more rigorous and more strictly graded system. Medical school is even a bigger leap... light years from college in difficulty and shear amount of information thrown at students.
However, I would go ahead and take the MCAT, if you think you are prepared. If you do really well on the MCAT, you might ease the mind of a critical admission committee member and convince him or her that you have the ability to handle the curriculum.

------------------
Jim Henderson, MD of Medicalstudent.net