Job's with a BS in Psychology while in Grad School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spillsomepaint

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what types of jobs I can get during my first two years of grad school that would utitlize/pay me for having a BS in psychology and how would I go about finding them? I'm relocated to NYC at the end of august to start grad school and have no idea how to begin searching!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If it's a Ph.D. program, you really will not have time to work. Psy.Ds will have a little more free time because of the lack of the research component..but still..very few people work outside their program. Many programs forbid it, or you have to get approval from your adviser/mentor before you can. Part of the reason why programs are support you with a modest stipend is so you can stay out of work and have full immersion and full attention to your studies. But, I do know some of the NYC schools don't have very good support for their students, so this is an understandable concern. I would consult with your program to see what their policies are. My adviser is the assistant PI for a grant at our med school, so, in addition to my stipend, I do get paid to SCIDs and testing for participant inclusion. But it only amounts to about $100/week. Certainly nothing I (we) could live on. Moreover, this is part of my lab technically, so I'm not sacrificing my research productivity. I am also pulling my dissertation data from these studies. This is why my adviser is cool with it.

If your program will allow you to work, you will not have much time to devote to it. If your working over 15 hours a week, you're probably going to have problems pulling your share of the weight in your lab and/or your class work will suffer. Maybe a job as a mental health tech at an inpatient psych unit? NYC has a butt load of hospitals and psych units. Maybe check the local hospitals for per diem research positions? I'd say use Craiglists for the mental health tech type jobs and just check the websites of the academic med centers/hospitals for research positions. The faculty in your program are a good source for networking for the research jobs. If you get their approval to work, I'm sure they have some connections that they can hook you up with.

Last edited:
thanks for all the info erg! I do have only so so funding since it is a nyc school, so I don't think I'll be the only one working a little each week. I'll def look into the mental health tech jobs but at this point I'm also just considering waiting tables a few nights a week.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for all the info erg! I do have only so so funding since it is a nyc school, so I don't think I'll be the only one working a little each week. I'll def look into the mental health tech jobs but at this point I'm also just considering waiting tables a few nights a week.

During my first 4 years of graduate school, I worked as an ABA therapist, a tutor, and a writing/reading coach. There are a lot of related psych jobs that you should be able to find with your qualifications. I also knew people who worked in food service, but they didn't rack up the amount of experience I obtained. Good luck to you!

You could be a PRN mental health technician on weekends at a psych hospital? Are you looking for money, experience, or both? I think you'd make more money waiting tables a few nights a week than PRN MHT. If you are willing to take a pay cut for the sake of field-related experience, being a MHT is excellent experience and looks good for practicum/internship apps.

This may be way late but I thought I'd put it here incase anyone else has the same question...

I am currently a second year Master's student in NYC and have had a psychology related job both years of my degree. In order to prepare myself for a job later on... I took a course in undergrad that taught SPSS (advanced stats... was an elective but I knew it would be more valiable then another art class!). Through this skill I landed a job with a researcher doing data management. I left this job last spring for a new job as a research assistant (promoted to research coordinator) in a office at the school I attend. Now not only do I get paid I also get free tuition for working for my university.

My best advice to anyone thinking of going on to grad school is to learn research in anyway that you can. Its not my favorite thing to do but it has opened so many opportunities up for me and has prepared me for a PhD program way more then my peers.

Good luck! I hope that helps someone!