Jobs that can give me clinical hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashxxch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a pre med student and I am in need of money. I would like a job that can give me clinical hours as well and I was just wondering what options I have. I have looked around and all I can find is EMT, scribe or tech. Are these the only positions that can give me clinical hours?

Members don't see this ad.

Look into clinical research...many jobs involve hospital screening, enrollment, etc. all of that is clinical hours with the benefit of research chops.

Members don't see this ad :)
Look into clinical research...many jobs involve hospital screening, enrollment, etc. all of that is clinical hours with the benefit of research chops.

How would I go about looking for those positions? I have tried looking for medical research and I only came across research assistant positions that require at least an associates degree. Also, I am a full time student so I can't take on a full time position

Perhaps I got lucky in finding one that accepts undergraduates for part time. I would look in your school's database for employment. If there are teaching hospitals around, look at their websites for research. Most of them conduct research in the hospital, and will pay for help with consenting patients/data collection. Keep looking and send resumes. You never know which fish is gonna bite ;)

Reactions: 1 user
I am looking for something that wouldn't involve a certification process. I don't have time or money for that
Two that come to mind are Medical Office Receptionist and Dietary Aide at a nursing home. Both require helpful interactions with current patients. Part-time evening and weekend shifts might work well with a student schedule.

You can try to find an entry-level position in some form of therapy. It probably won't be working in hospitals, but you'll be working with people recovering from or suffering from some sort of illness.

I think it's kind of unique for premed students to do therapy, and most students I meet are working to be social workers or OTs, but I feel it's a good way to show your interest in working with people.

Take a look at medical centers' career pages. You should find many positions there, although if you're not looking for full-time work, it'll be more difficult. The Research Study Assistant jobs give you a lot of patient contact but you're doing a lot of bitch work like entering data and stuff. They also look for a two-year commitment so if you're doing one glide year, that's not a good idea. EMT and CNA both require certification processes and classes so if you don't already have the certification, it's not worth it (unless you have like 2-3 years afterwards that you can devote to working). Also, EMTs usually aren't paid unless they work for a company, which means you would generally be doing interfacility transport only. Most towns have EMS squads that are volunteer/paid but these are career EMTs who work set shifts during the day. It all depends on where are, really. Scribing will give you a lot of clinical experience and while I've never done it before, I've heard nothing but good things on here about it (except the one guy who got fired after like two days).

Reactions: 1 users
Pharmacy technician is good for getting ahead on learning pharmacology and insurance processes. Most big box chains will pay for your training/train you on the job. Potential for both part time and full time work, a lot of patient interaction.

Nurse's Aid is what I did.
This was offered at a small rural outpatient clinic though in my home town..

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am looking for something that wouldn't involve a certification process. I don't have time or money for that
Then I would take EMT off your list. That also involves a certification process.

Patient representative or patient sitter.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Medical scribe is one of the best pre-med jobs IMO. You get money, extensive interactions with physicians, embedded shadowing, etc.

Could be wrong on how this gets looked at but I think being a physical therapy aide was very rewarding. Put a lot of anatomy & physio into practice and get post-op or chronic pain patients

The requirements vary by state, but I was a psych tech which didn't require any certification.

I second clinical research - kind of let's you double dip on the clinic + research hours ;)

Intern for Fox News I'm pretty sure most of the people there are psych patients.

Reactions: 7 users
Thanks everyone! I am going to look into all of these options.

Surprised scribing wasn't mentioned. That's an easy way to get paid for clinical work. If money isn't a driving factor, apply to be a scribe. Training is easy and you learn so much on the job.

You can be a phlebotomist at a plasma center often without any experience or certification.