Jobs in the medical field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chizomp

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Most medical jobs require some sort of training before entering them. The shorter programs can be found as a nursing/medical assistant, phlebotomist, EMT-Basic, etc. With some type of business or human resources background, you can get hired on in the business/human resource office.

The military will take you on and train you for a variety of medical jobs and even has its own medical school, but I doubt that is an answer you are looking for....

As stated, your going to have to actually get a little more training to do something exciting or with better pay. Otherwise, your going to be doing clerical work in office settings.

Members don't see this ad :)
Greetings,

Some people in your status get jobs as Research Associates at Universities, it is not the most glamorous position but they pay decent and will give you a major "in" when it comes time to apply. Plus you may find a direction or specialty that piques your interest.

Good Luck

JB

Ditto Juniper. Look for some sort of research associate or assistant position at a university medical center.

I agree. Clinical jobs are a little hard to come by. I got mine only by working as a unit secretary for 6 months. But given that you only have a year, you'd be better served getting a research job and getting clinical experience as a volunteer.

What was your undergrad in? I was mechanical engineering and I knabbed a job deisgning/manufacturing CMF plates/screws and other surgical equipment. I get to go see cases when I get my stuff done early. I love it. Our company has tons of stuff in marketing and those guys work with doctors all the time if you don't come from a technical background.

In fact, go look at some big medical device companies and see what's open. Maybe you can do something based on previous work experience and then do the med stuff on the side. My management loves my interest in actual cases and it helps with my current work.

Yes, a research position and healthcare volunteering would be a good option.
You could also spend a month to get certified as a nurse assistant, then work in the hospital or nursing home (pay is probably not that great but it gets u direct patient contact experience) which adcoms look for, more than research.
Just IMHO.

Check the primate labs. Most universities have their own temporary pools and they should be able to help place you in a research assistant capacity.

JB

I've found all my research coordinator type positions online through the company's job listings. There are surely multiple ways to go about looking for a job, but the traditional path has served me well at least.