Jobs in Alaska and big bucks in "less desirable" spots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's kind of like car buying where the price that they advertise is after 10 rebates, which you only qualify for 2. Remove the other 8 rebates and the price goes up.

The salaries advertised can be increased by doing more hours monthly, adding a few extra shifts every month, etc. Once you start removing these extra stuff, the salary will go down.

Members don't see this ad.

It's kind of like car buying where the price that they advertise is after 10 rebates, which you only qualify for 2. Remove the other 8 rebates and the price goes up.

The salaries advertised can be increased by doing more hours monthly, adding a few extra shifts every month, etc. Once you start removing these extra stuff, the salary will go down.

That is why I never look at the salary quoted. Sure they can say salary is $450K per year, but if you're working 160 hours a month to get that, it's not a bargain. I always look at the quoted hourly, or "median hourly" if they are paid by RVU. The hourly will give you a better idea of how much you will make given the workload you are comfortable with.

I work one place where the hourly goes up $75/hour if I work more than 144 hours. Do I want to do that? Not really, and haven't yet.