jobs before pharm school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

candle786

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it preferred that I have a science related job before I apply for pharm school?I'm a recent graduate and my dilemma right now is that I am having a hard time finding a decent paying science related job. If my goal is to attend pharm school in a year and a half, would it be best for me to find a good job that is not science related, but will pay well, so I can save up or is it better for me to make a sacrifice in pay for a job that doesn't pay well but is science related. Both options are not directly pharm related ( I will work or volunteer at a pharmacy on the weekends). I have a good opportunity to work for a decent paying company but I feel as though I should be doing something related to science (lab work, healthcare, etc.), especially since i just graduated with a bachelors in bio. If i don't take that job, then I will most likely work as a temp somewhere until a job comes through (I will have to leave my currect job at the end of this Any advice is helpful.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

The end of the previous message should read, "I will have to leave my current job at the end of this month." Basically I just want to make sure that having a job not related to the medical field is ok as long as I have some pharm related experience.

If you're already a BIO major you should work doing what you just spend 4 years studying...what's the non-science job-accounting? I don't know what state you live, but you can try going to a personnel service that specializes in science or check with any personnel company that has an area for your specialty.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a lot of jobs in the science field here (Wash DC area) but they don't pay well for entry level (mostly lab jobs). At first I didn't care because atleast I would have a job and I was willing to make a sacrifice in order to get experience, which i have none of. But if I'm just going to end up in pharm school soon (hopefully) and there is a good opportunity to just work and save up money, i figure i should take it now and just put the job search process on hold (or slow it down) so I can focus my attention to pharm schools. I wouldn't mind not working in the science field right now.

I worked for three years as a server for a restaurant and I was accepted no problem. I also graduated in December and put on my application that I planned to work my current job until pharmacy school started. I did however, spend about a month and a half shadowing at a walgreens (I came in one day a week for a few hours). I was also able to shadow for one week in a local hospital. But I have a few friends that got accepted with no experience. I would think that you would rather get a job where you will be using your degree, but I couldn't afford the pay cut, I just make too much as a server. You would be surprised how many people I work with that have degrees but just don't want to walk away from the money. If it were me, I would work for the job with the money and volunteer on the weekends at a pharmacy. That way you can save up money. From my experience, there aren't that many entry-level jobs where you can use a science degree and make a lot of money. Good luck!

~Pam

i'd get a pham tech job.. hospitals pay pretty decent

Thank you Trancelucent1. I just wanted to make sure that it would be ok that I was not doing something science related. I really don't care either. A part of me just felt like I "should" be doing it, for whatever reasons. Getting a well paying job and saving up sounds exactly like what I want and need to do. I also plan on working on the weekends as a pharm tech so I'm sure that will help tremendously. Thanks everyone.

I know that is such a tricky decision between "in the field" and money. That is where I am at now. I am closing my daycare. Going to work part-time for the next 18 months. But I can't decide if the $6 a retail pharmacy would pay me as a clerk is worth it for the experience or if I should just find an office job making twice that so I can work half as much. I guess I will decide next week when I start hitting all the pharmacies in town.

Michele,

You must do very well with your daycare. Are you closing it so you can get more experience in the pharmacy field? Why not start out working at a pharmacy only on the weekends (atleast one day a week) and see if you like it.

It is a home daycare. So it does ok, but that is it. I am closing because I can no longer work 65 hours a week (first child arrives at 6:00 am, last child leaves at 6:00 pm) and still have time to do housework, homework, take classes and spend time with my husband and 4 children. Plus, I need pharmacy experience. I just hope I can find something that pays more than minimum wage. I have applied at a couple places via the internet, but I probably just confuse the HR people. I have 20 years experience as an office manager/store manager and now I want to clerk. So I need to get out and talk to people and see what I can find.