Job Search - Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Backpack234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know, I know...Job market is terrible. This year's residents barely got hired in rural wherever. But I've noticed a lot more posts about job offers online and recruiters messaging me that it seems like things are starting to get a bit better. I've been trying for the past year to move to a specific area and have been in touch with either docs or recruiters at the jobs I'm looking at. Problem is, I don't live there or see them regularly so I'm at a disadvantage. The only power I've got is E-Mail follow ups. But I'm not sure how often it's appropriate to use that (especially since it's been a year). So far I've tried to follow up every 3 months or so, but is that wrong?

How often do you send follow up emails to potential future employers? And what other tricks to landing the gig might I not be thinking of?

Members don't see this ad.

1622150268017.png

Reactions: 1 user
Use your residency connections. Have your coordinator put you in touch with people that might be working in the area. Facebook group EMDOCS Jobs, PracticeLink, EMCareers (EMRA's CMG-shill job site), and EDPhysician.com. That's about all you can do.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know if a job in the Pacific Northwest at a democratic group interested in hiring a doc ASAP. Pm me for details.

I have been getting weekly calls lately from my old locums recruiters. Haven't called them back and I am sure they are some low paying crappy jobs but atleast it looks like there are some need.

Yeah, no thanks. I don't want to work in rural west TX for $170/hr 1099 and expecting me to play hospitalist while I'm at it...

Or work in Oklahoma/Missouri/wherever for $170/hr 1099, seeing up to 2 PPH with no travel expenses covered (WTF?!?!)
One of these LT companies had the gall to advertise "able to deduct your [non-reimbursed] travel expenses" as a benefit...

There's still a few decent jobs available right now at rural midwestern hospitals for 200+/hr with benefits.

I've heard Mercy in Joplin is hiring for 250/hr but most people have no desire to live in that part of the country.

There's still a few decent jobs available right now at rural midwestern hospitals for 200+/hr with benefits.

I've heard Mercy in Joplin is hiring for 250/hr but most people have no desire to live in that part of the country.

He got inundated with applications at Mercy along with Owensboro. Just because ACEP fell off the edge of the earth doesn't mean that the market isn't still awful and won't get worse.