Job & residency timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confettiflyer

Model Citizen™
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tried doing a search using job + residency + timing +apply, no dice
This might barely count as a residency thread, but here goes...

Does anyone know the general timeline involved with straight up finding a hospital/inpatient job after graduation? Say I wanted to hedge my bets and apply for a residency AND start soliciting interest for jobs. At what point in time would employers start entertaining new grads for positions knowing they won't likely be licensed until July/August?

Job market gloom aside, would it be realistic to have non-retail job prospects before the match withdrawal deadline? Or should I just not bother and only worry about non-residency employment if I don't match/withdraw?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've seen this year, the only students at my school that accepted inpatient jobs before the match deadline (time-wise, they weren't pursuing residencies) were already working at the same hospital/hospital network as interns.

Could be different next year.

In my area, people found hospital jobs after match deadline. Several classmates did accept jobs before match deadline but they were with retail companies and they interned for them before.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should, in general, be able to find something after the match deadline. Many of the hospital pharmacies I'm familiar with have timed their hiring cycles to match graduation, so most won't even know what spots they have available until late March/early April at the earliest.

I think you should, in general, be able to find something after the match deadline. Many of the hospital pharmacies I'm familiar with have timed their hiring cycles to match graduation, so most won't even know what spots they have available until late March/early April at the earliest.

Yeah I'm thinking fiscal year budgets would come into play as well, my own hospital is hiring a ton and was approved for a multi year period last year, but I'm gonna guess that's the exception and is not typical.