Job Opportunities for Military Doctors after the Military.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AfriqueDMD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will like to use this opportunity to ask the military doctors how the civilian medical community views military doctors. I am actually in the military presently, I get out in a month. I have taken the MCAT and will be applying to a Medical School this year. I was considering the HPSP to put me through med school. I really dont mind the military at all. I am just concerned that if I decide to embark on this venture, that I would be considered less of a doctor if I complete my military commitment. I am not saying that military docs are not as good as civilian docs, I am just concerned about how military docs are percieved by the civilian community. I will really appreciate any information on this question. I also hope that this thread does not offend any of my fellow military men.

Members don't see this ad.

AfriqueMD said:
I will like to use this opportunity to ask the military doctors how the civilian medical community views military doctors. I am actually in the military presently, I get out in a month. I have taken the MCAT and will be applying to a Medical School this year. I was considering the HPSP to put me through med school. I really dont mind the military at all. I am just concerned that if I decide to embark on this venture, that I would be considered less of a doctor if I complete my military commitment. I am not saying that military docs are not as good as civilian docs, I am just concerned about how military docs are percieved by the civilian community. I will really appreciate any information on this question. I also hope that this thread does not offend any of my fellow military men.

If you can get past the issues of training delays--where a delay through something like a GMO tour might make you less competetive for some civilian residencies-- you should have no problem at all. When it comes to getting jobs after your training, if anything, the military background is an asset.

AfriqueMD said:

There are 9 docs planning to get out of my hospital this June. We all have jobs lined up already. Every other doc I know who has gotten out of the military has had a job lined up well before their last day in uniform. If you can't get job with the letters MD after your name, it can only mean that either you have a long record of gross incompetence following you around or that you're just completely repulsive personality-wise.

RMD FIVE months, TWENTY-ONE days remaining!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be honest, I worried about that too before I "sold my soul" to Navy medicine. I also worried about that perception going to USUHS - no one has ever heard of it in my home state. I personally feel that you'll get out of it what you've put into it (yes, I know it it's cliche city). If you take an HPSP scholarship, bomb the USMLE's then do an internship followed by a payback tour and get out, you're probably not going to match at a top tier residency program. Is it your military experience that forces you to accept the residency spot at Bass Ackward Community Hospital or your piss-poor academic record? Conversely, if you smoke the boards and are an AOA gunner, then you'll likely receive a very different welcome from Top Notch Medical Center.

Unfortunately, I do not have hard scientific data to back my claims, only the experiences of my colleagues who've gotten out after their minimal time required.

I'll be honest, I worried about that too before I "sold my soul" to Navy medicine. I also worried about that perception going to USUHS - no one has ever heard of it in my home state. I personally feel that you'll get out of it what you've put into it (yes, I know it it's cliche city). If you take an HPSP scholarship, bomb the USMLE's then do an internship followed by a payback tour and get out, you're probably not going to match at a top tier residency program. Is it your military experience that forces you to accept the residency spot at Bass Ackward Community Hospital or your piss-poor academic record? Conversely, if you smoke the boards and are an AOA gunner, then you'll likely receive a very different welcome from Top Notch Medical Center.

Unfortunately, I do not have hard scientific data to back my claims, only the experiences of my colleagues who've gotten out after their minimal time required.

I really appreciate those of you that took time out of your day to answer my questions. I have a few others if you all dont mind. If I sign up for HPSP, can I automatically go into a residency program, and then do my payback? Also, would the time in military residency apply towards retirement? I was also considering the FAP; if I go this route, will those years I spend in a civilian resiency count towards retirement? if so, is there a max age requirement for board certified docs enterint the military? Please help. Thank you and God bless.

AfriqueMD +pad+

AfriqueMD said:
I really appreciate those of you that took time out of your day to answer my questions. I have a few others if you all dont mind. If I sign up for HPSP, can I automatically go into a residency program, and then do my payback? Also, would the time in military residency apply towards retirement? I was also considering the FAP; if I go this route, will those years I spend in a civilian resiency count towards retirement? if so, is there a max age requirement for board certified docs enterint the military? Please help. Thank you and God bless.

AfriqueMD +pad+

1. Whether or not you go straight from med school to full residency depends on which service you choose. None of them is 100%, but the army has the fewest number of trainina interruptions, followed by the Air Force. The Navy seems to have the most.

2. Yes, time in military residency counts towards retirement, time in a civilian residency does NOT. Since most civilian physicians do OK financially, this should not be a big determinant in your decision - you can sock away buttloads in 401ks and other (taxed) savings to more than make up for loss of pension if you're at that 16 yr "decision point"...

As far as max age requirement, I'm pretty sure there isn't one. It's just as you get older, the paperwork gets more difficult ;). WHen I was in OBC they told us the story of a previous class where they had some distinguished surgeon who decided he wanted to join the reserves after Sept 11, he was in his late 40s/early 50s already and he came in as a LTC/O-5!

that surgeon you mention happens to have had his picture on the front of Time magazine for putting in the first artificial heart transplant. I wouldn't count on the military letting just any ole physician in at that age.

backrow said:
that surgeon you mention happens to have had his picture on the front of Time magazine for putting in the first artificial heart transplant. I wouldn't count on the military letting just any ole physician in at that age.

Yeah, that's right, I remember it now Nick!

http://defendamerica.mil/profiles/aug2002/pr081302a.html

Still, he came in at 57 years of age. Knock a decade off that for those of us who didn't swap in the first mechanical heart ;)

Thank you RichL025 for your insight. I will be at that "decision" point when I decide to go into med school. I was trying to weigh the pros and cons that I faced. Whether to go through the military and get my MD while still investing time in my retirement, or suck it up and become a civilian doctor. I actually have the opportunity to go to medical school for free based on the Illinois Veterans Grant. You are eligible to obtain free 4 yrs of education at an Illinios state school. Obviously this leaves me with SIU COM and UIC COM. Overall not the best schools, but it will be free to some extent. I think that I'm gonna just suck it up and get out and go the civilian route. Once again, thank you all for your insight on this matter.

AfriqueMD

+pad+

AfriqueMD said:
Thank you RichL025 for your insight. I will be at that "decision" point when I decide to go into med school. I was trying to weigh the pros and cons that I faced. Whether to go through the military and get my MD while still investing time in my retirement, or suck it up and become a civilian doctor. I actually have the opportunity to go to medical school for free based on the Illinois Veterans Grant. You are eligible to obtain free 4 yrs of education at an Illinios state school. Obviously this leaves me with SIU COM and UIC COM. Overall not the best schools, but it will be free to some extent. I think that I'm gonna just suck it up and get out and go the civilian route. Once again, thank you all for your insight on this matter.

AfriqueMD

+pad+

To re-iterate, the only reason a person should go into military medicine is because he or she wishes to both serve their country, and take care of those others who do so. Financial considerations should be very far down on the list....

Should you change your mind in the future, FAP is always an option to re-enter the military.

I can tell you that as a surgeon with the poor case load you will receive, it will make it less likely that you will be paid equal to one who has more experience.

If you have not joined yet, this should be one of your last concerns. Look at the posts above of people sharing their reservations of a failing system. One in which you may not get a choice in what residency you get, or the quality of training you will receive.

For a medical career, the military is a looser.

Galo

RichL025 said:
WHen I was in OBC they told us the story of a previous class where they had some distinguished surgeon who decided he wanted to join the reserves after Sept 11, he was in his late 40s/early 50s already and he came in as a LTC/O-5!

The Air Force occasionally commissions distinguished physicians as O-5's. I heard a story at COT about a retired vascular surgeon who entered as a colonel!