This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bernas

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
While studying for NBDE Part I, if a Foreign Trained Dentist wants to earn money what are the job opportunities?

According to my search Dental assisting is the best one. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

If you have a work permit, Dental assisting is the best fit. Some states even have Expanded duties dental assistants where you are allowed to do more like fillings, temporary crowns and impressions.

Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you.
I got an offer from a clinic as a dental assistant. They wanted me to work with them a full day.

Now I am so excited. Generally what are the duties of a dental assistant?

I also want to improve my dental terminology before going to the clinic, which sources do you offer to study?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi
I just want to know which state are you??
I'm looking for a job too

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

@bernas
Glad that you landed a job in our field.

In NY it's kind of difficult, because mostly everyone is asking for dental assistant certification despite them knowing you are already a dentist, CPR certification (something that every dentist already knows) and a LOAD of BS*** else. In one of my interviews I got asked if know how to make a temporary crown :)/) really????????? (besides that's not even a DA's duty). I also got question as dumb as what color is alginate and what it's used for.

The only real weakness we foreign trained dentist coming from third world countries could have is being inexperienced with Dental office programs like Dentrix, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
You are right @bat04. Programs like Dentrix are always asked. But we were using also other softwares to save the patient records. So I think I can learn such programs easily in a few days.

And I want to share my first job experience. The clinic that I got an offer was very nice and professional. They seemed as they like me also but when I went and worked with them for a whole day (I think because of my English speaking) they said that they will have a look and there were other candidates.. The doctors were very kind, it was a good experience for me.

So, I understood that I have to improve my English and than try my chance.
Although my reading and writing is upper intermediate, I have some difficulties about speaking and listening.... I am new.. The way going to dentistry is long...

Good luck to everyone!