Job Market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMCountryGal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm certain that I will be going into GI. Lately, I've been hearing stories about how saturated the job market is in CA and other big cities across US (unless you are open to practicing in small towns in midwest region). I also overheard one GI attending saying that fellows aren't being offered great positions. I'm a bit worried as I'm gearing up to apply next year and would appreciate any input on the outlook of GI job market in the next 10 years.

Also, anyone worried about the new screening stool DNA test for colon cancer? Obviously a good thing for patients, but may not be great for GI folks since it will cut down on screening scope significantly.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm certain that I will be going into GI. Lately, I've been hearing stories about how saturated the job market is in CA and other big cities across US (unless you are open to practicing in small towns in midwest region). I also overheard one GI attending saying that fellows aren't being offered great positions. I'm a bit worried as I'm gearing up to apply next year and would appreciate any input on the outlook of GI job market in the next 10 years.

Also, anyone worried about the new screening stool DNA test for colon cancer? Obviously a good thing for patients, but may not be great for GI folks since it will cut down on screening scope significantly.

Don't know about the DNA test, but it doesn't surprise me that the market for GI doctors is tightening up a bit. As with other specialties, reimbursements for GI procedures has fallen significantly. As such, it's going to be harder for groups to take on new associates.

On the bright side, my understanding is that the supply:hungover:emand dynamic is favorable for Gastroenterologists. If being a GI doctor is what you want and what you think will make you happiest, then that is the route you should take. You should be able to honor your educational debt even if salaries stay flat or decrease a small amount.

IMO, the days of going into Medicine for the purpose of obtaining wealth (if there ever were any to begin with) are gone and will not return. The costs of medical education every year while reimbursements decrease every year. he only question is what happens when medical school is no longer worth the debt; it's already very close to being at this stage. Good luck!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/09/health/research/09gastro.html