Job Market for Neurointensivists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bonobo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea about the job market for neurointensivists? Academic or private? Also, are there any good predictions about where this field is headed?

Thanks

B

Members don't see this ad.

The job market for neuro-intensivists is very hot! Many recent graduates of neuro-critical care fellowships have gone on to pursue endovascular fellowships leaving a huge demand for neurointensivists - both academic and private- unfilled. Many hospitals are interested in developing stroke/neuro centers, and one key component holding many back is neuro-critical care...

You asked about openings - here is one in Hawaii.
OAHU - Neurointensivist - we will accept a neurointensivist w/o experience - this is the 3rd position in a group of 3 neurointensivists. No experience $270,000-$280,000 and Experienced: $280,000-$300,000 (Paradise premium - lower pay?) - these are total compensation (base plus incentive). Open to discuss signing bonus. Relocation is up to $15,000 and separate from the signing bonus. Great benefits. They share call with the 2 other neurointensivists and teaching is a part of the position. We are also in the process of creating a neurocritical care fellowhip over the next couple of years so they would be teaching in that program too.:cool: Not a J-1 or H1B opportunity. Aloha,

Members don't see this ad :)
You asked about openings - here is one in Hawaii.
OAHU - Neurointensivist - we will accept a neurointensivist w/o experience - this is the 3rd position in a group of 3 neurointensivists. No experience $270,000-$280,000 and Experienced: $280,000-$300,000 (Paradise premium - lower pay?) - these are total compensation (base plus incentive). Open to discuss signing bonus. Relocation is up to $15,000 and separate from the signing bonus. Great benefits. They share call with the 2 other neurointensivists and teaching is a part of the position. We are also in the process of creating a neurocritical care fellowhip over the next couple of years so they would be teaching in that program too.:cool: Not a J-1 or H1B opportunity. Aloha,

Holy smoke Batman, bringing up a 4yr old thread! You could have just started your own. :laugh: No need to spam an old thread.

Sorry, I wanted to find that doc to see if he is is a neurointensivist and wants to live/work in Paradise! Also, it was 3 AM when I entered it and didn't notice the date.

Holy smoke Batman, bringing up a 4yr old thread! You could have just started your own. :laugh: No need to spam an old thread.

Sorry, I wanted to find that doc to see if he is is a neurointensivist and wants to live/work in Paradise! Also, it was 3 AM when I entered it and didn't notice the date.

Oh no worries. This just doesn't happen to be the best place for job postings. Wish I was done with my training to consider this job opening.

i just started my fellowship.. can they hold that job for a couple more years :D

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but was wondering if anyone could comment further on NCC as this strikes me as a rapidly evolving field. Are more hospitals moving to closed Neuro ICUs? How is the lifestyle in this setting? Private practice salary range? Do you all see this as something that is going to grow rapidly with increasing number of Stroke Centers, etc.?

Just curious to the thoughts of those in fellowship or attending.

bump...anyone out there with some current knowledge on the questions listed above?

Appreciate any input, thanks!

People who have completed fellowships in neurocritical care (or stroke/vascular) are in hot demand. All over.

There is a link posted above that specifically includes job positions in this field. Furthermore, you can check out the green journal's rather frequent postings.

The money/lifestyle is very similar to what other CCM attendings have from what I've anecdotally seen.

I'm actually pretty excited about this field. I did notice that fellowships seem to be at great academic universities, so how does that all fit in being an USIMG after neuro residency?

I'm actually pretty excited about this field. I did notice that fellowships seem to be at great academic universities, so how does that all fit in being an USIMG after neuro residency?

I don't think Neurocritical care is that competitive to get into. It's a tough field with difficult cases, difficult procedures and pay that is not significantly higher than office-based disciplines within Neurology.

You should be able to get in if you show interest in the field and make connections with people in the field. If you're good with your hands and want the most serious cases, it's a great choice.

My understanding is that there are unfilled positions each year. So you shouldn't have troubles getting a slot.

Is "neuro-intensivist" the same thing as "neuro-hospitalist"? Do you have to do a fellowship to do either one, or can you go straight out of a neuro residency program into this job? Also, are the work hours similar to that of IM hospitalists--for example, 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off? If so, that would make for an awesome career! The wonderful lifestyle opportunities of being a hospitalist, but with neuro patients rather than general medicine patients.

Is "neuro-intensivist" the same thing as "neuro-hospitalist"? Do you have to do a fellowship to do either one, or can you go straight out of a neuro residency program into this job? Also, are the work hours similar to that of IM hospitalists--for example, 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off? If so, that would make for an awesome career! The wonderful lifestyle opportunities of being a hospitalist, but with neuro patients rather than general medicine patients.

No, they're not the same.

You need a neurocritical care fellowship to become a Neurointensivist. I don't THINK you need a fellowship to become a Neuro-hospitalist, but hopefully others can verify this.

A Neuro-intensivist will work in the Neurological ICU. In many (if not most) cases, this will be shift work. One will want to be good with procedures, antibiotics, vent managment, etc. This job appears to be in GREAT demand right now.

My guess is that Neuro-hospitalists do have somewhat similar schedules to IM hospitalists. Again, I'll let those who know more about the field chime in.

thanks for the input guys. What are some of the difficult cases that you guys come across or deal with?

thanks for the input guys. What are some of the difficult cases that you guys come across or deal with?

Neurocritical care is the intensive care of patients with life-threatening neurological illnesses such as massive stroke, bleeding in and around the brain (subarachnoid hemorrhage, intracerebral hemorrhage, subdural hemorrhage, intraventricular hemorrhage), brain tumors, brain trauma, severe seizures, nerve and muscle diseases (such as myasthenia gravis or Guillain-Barre Syndrome) and spinal cord disorders among others. Many neurocritical care patients are comatose or paralyzed and may suffer injuries in other parts of the body as well. Neurocritical care units specialize in managing the unique needs of such patients.

From this site:

http://www.neurocriticalcare.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3349

I think you can pursue Neurocritical care fellowship after completion of either Neurology/Neurosurgery/Anesthesia/Internal Medicine residency.

I would like to know whether the work profile and salary after any of these pathways is similar or very different depending on the residency training you are coming from?

Thanks for your input.

I think you can pursue Neurocritical care fellowship after completion of either Neurology/Neurosurgery/Anesthesia/Internal Medicine residency.

I would like to know whether the work profile and salary after any of these pathways is similar or very different depending on the residency training you are coming from?

Thanks for your input.

Add EM to the list.

the job market for neurointensivists is great.. i'm about to finish my fellowship and will be working in private practice.. the range of salaries i've heard was 300-430k for private practice.... academic is significantly less.. 150-250k..

my job is roughly 1 week on and 1 week off.. with administrative duties..

as for NCC fellowships.. there are more fellowships spots (about 60) than applicants (25-30)..

although you can go into NCC through a variety of pathways.. you really need a good fund of knowledge in neurology to be successful..