Job for year off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermsportsguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently finishing my prelim yr of medicine and was fortunate enough to have just matched into my advanced spot. I dont start until next July so I, in effect, have an entire year off. Does anyone have any good options for a place to apply/work for a year to gain some insight into the other side of medicine while still being able to pay bills, etc. I am located in nyc so hoping for something local. I was thinking McKinsey, bain, etc but dont know much about them. Also would consider working for a VC type company. Again, just looking for ideas. Thanks to all that read this

cheers

Members don't see this ad.

McKinsey, Bain, and BCG most always want at least a 2 year commitment from you. They go through the effort to train and bring you up to speed and want some kind of return. Do you have a business background?

Hello all,

I am currently finishing my prelim yr of medicine and was fortunate enough to have just matched into my advanced spot. I dont start until next July so I, in effect, have an entire year off. Does anyone have any good options for a place to apply/work for a year to gain some insight into the other side of medicine while still being able to pay bills, etc. I am located in nyc so hoping for something local. I was thinking McKinsey, bain, etc but dont know much about them. Also would consider working for a VC type company. Again, just looking for ideas. Thanks to all that read this

cheers

You are somewhat late in the cycle for McKinsey. Interviews for positions starting this summer/fall have already occurred. Have you checked out D.O.C. for job postings?

Members don't see this ad :)
McKinsey, Bain, and BCG most always want at least a 2 year commitment from you. They go through the effort to train and bring you up to speed and want some kind of return. Do you have a business background?

Thanks for the posts. I do have a bit of a business background (note- no mba and no finance classes in undergrad). I helped start a small biotech company that ended up being decently successful and am looking to get involved in something that is a definite change of pace for the year off. I will probably continue doing research (only a project or two on the side that wont be too labor dependent) but want to use the year as a break from the rigors of medicine. Ive looked at some of the consulting firms mentioned and unfortunately, the statements that the cycles have been completed appears accurate. That being said, I'm hoping that some sort of opportunity is still out there in a similar environment.

thanks again for any and all suggestions!!

Last edited:
The statements are true--at my firm, we extend offers in the fall almost an entire year in advance of start date, and it is a two to three year commitment. We also don't have internships available to non-students.

I get a decent number of recruiting emails from PE and VC firms, and it seems that most are looking for post bachelor's candidates with 3+ years of experience in finance or management consulting. Again, these programs are longer since they invest resources training you.

Given your time frame, previous history with startups, and research interests, why don't you check out some startups (3 years old or so) that match those interests? In NY, you have no shortage of investor companies to fund those opportunities. Start ups are more likely to give you flexible working hours so you can prepare for med school/research, appreciate your past start up experience, and be more accepting of your shorter commitment. The other jobs you were mentioning above will have you working 70 hrs with none of those luxuries (albeit with great experience.)

That might be the best route. Do you have any suggestions for best places to search? I've used simple google searches and will next attempt linked in as a source of inspiration..other than that, not sure where the best place to look would be. thanks in advance!!

LinkedIn is a great resource, and you can sign up for a job seeker's account if you have not done so already. Other than that, I would talk to friends and family to see if any one in their networks has heard of any opportunities.

If you can't find a personal connection, check out angel investor's websites for their portfolio companies, or search for online forums for startups in fields you're interested in.