Job availability

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anonuser344

Reaction score
I live in a big city and have seen over 10+ pharmacist positions open from hospitals to walgreens. Why is everyone saying job is looking bad then if all these positions are open?

Members don't see this ad.

Because 100+ people are applying to each of those jobs

Reactions: 3 users
I live in a big city and have seen over 10+ pharmacist positions open from hospitals to walgreens. Why is everyone saying job is looking bad then if all these positions are open?

Someone does not know what they are talking about.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1. Most of those postings are probably fake

2. Most of the non-fake postings are probably part time seasonal positions posted this time of year

3. Do you even know what you're saying? If you live in a "big city" like LA and there are 10 job postings, that's a per capita rate of 10 jobs/4 million people = 0.00025% which much worse than if you lived in BFE where they might have 1 job for a population of 50,000 = 0.002%. That's like saying "why do people across the country always complain about the lack of mexican food? I live in a big city and we have plenty of taco shops" -- well yeah, by virtue of having more people living in an area you'll have more taco shops overall, but more applicants per job at a taco shop...

• Care

By law, corporations are require to post job listing even tho they have already made an offer.

Reactions: 1 users
10 positions is terrible considering there are probably several hundreds of new PharmDs per year looking to work there. Furthermore as others have said, many companies already have someone internal lined up for those posted positions. This was true for the chain I used to work for. Also I've found that a lot postings are actually temp agencies looking for traveling pharmacists - these will still pop up in your search results even though there's no actual current positions at your searched location.

Last edited:
Uh yeah...those positions have most likely already been filled by an internal candiate and will still get 500+ external applicants each.

Also look at how old some of those listings are... posted 30+ days ago. By the time you apply to these positions, they will either be nice to let you know its already been filled by an internal candidate or leave you hangin...

When there is a potential opening for a job, they will notify internal candidates and it will travel through word of mouth before it hits a major job search engine. Even before it hits the major search engine, they usually have it up on an internal search opening first.

You have all the characteristics and intelligence of current P1 pharmacy students. Please apply to a pharmacy school if you haven't done so already. You'll be accepted 100% and one of those many jobs will be available for you too.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

10 whole positions for a big city! Well damn, us pharmacists must be idiots for telling everyone the job market is bad! Why don't you prove us wrong, take out $250,000 in loans to go to pharmacy school and get one of those jobs? That'll show us!

when you start wearing the shoe yourself i.e. start applying for pharmacy jobs. You will know what they mean,,

• Sad
Just because a job is posted, does not mean it's open. Many times a job is posted as a formality when that position has been filled months ago as a promise to a coworkers child/relative or a friend of the DM. I am pharmacist and have been looking for work for years as a pharmacist with little luck.

• Wow