Joakim Noah and Plantar Fasciitis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fikus1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First time poster long time reader. Joakim Noah of the Chicago Bulls has been battling plantar fasciitis for what seems like the entire season. He has sat out a ton of games , and when he is on the court he is playing at 75% at best. I understand that plantar fasciitis/fasciosis can become a chronic constant problem, but what is keeping him down for so long? Does anyone on this forum have experience treating high impact professional athletes? If so, is anything different about the treatments provided to them as opposed to a patient that would walk in your office with complaint of plantar fascia pain? Figure this could be an interesting topic to discuss and get input on. GO BULLS!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought if the issue was chronic then the inflammatory/healing phase was no longer occurring.. therefore treating it with an anti inflammatory like a steroid would not be so useful because of the lack of inflammation. I'm assuming that if chronic then scar tissue formation would be present...the idea of PRP is that it turns that chronic injury into an acute one which should restart the healing phase... PRP brings in an excess of growth factors which helps in the healing process.... this is my understanding.. maybe others who are more experienced/knowledgeable in this treatment modality can chime in.

I thought if the issue was chronic then the inflammatory/healing phase was no longer occurring.. therefore treating it with an anti inflammatory like a steroid would not be so useful because of the lack of inflammation. I'm assuming that if chronic then scar tissue formation would be present...the idea of PRP is that it turns that chronic injury into an acute one which should restart the healing phase... PRP brings in an excess of growth factors which helps in the healing process.... this is my understanding.. maybe others who are more experienced/knowledgeable in this treatment modality can chime in.

When plantar fasciitis becomes chronic you are correct, it is no longer inflammatory but is degenerative (fasciosis). In addition to PRP, ESWT also is a very useful non invasive option. Some also advocate TOPAZ treatments. Regardless, once this phase is entered, you are correct that injections or NSAIDs are of minimal benefit.

When plantar fasciitis becomes chronic you are correct, it is no longer inflammatory but is degenerative (fasciosis). In addition to PRP, ESWT also is a very useful non invasive option. Some also advocate TOPAZ treatments. Regardless, once this phase is entered, you are correct that injections or NSAIDs are of minimal benefit.

They are of minimal benefit in terms of actually healing. They are still of benefit in pain control.