JHU Formula?? Help Me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DreamLover

Bored Certified
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else get this message from JHU? I get lost when it says that the sum of the 2 numbers will be less than 100 when the 1st paragraph gives the example that if you honor a course, the first number is 0 and the second is 100 thus to me that means 0+100=100 (not < 100)

they all seem to work out this way? I was on call on night and I'm not too quick on my feet at the moment so am I looking at this wrong?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone else get this message from JHU? I get lost when it says that the sum of the 2 numbers will be less than 100 when the 1st paragraph gives the example that if you honor a course, the first number is 0 and the second is 100 thus to me that means 0+100=100 (not < 100)

they all seem to work out this way? I was on call on night and I'm not too quick on my feet at the moment so am I looking at this wrong?

thanks!

Ummm... could you take a step back and tell me what you are talking about? What was the message about? Was it a rejection or was it an invite giving you a score? Just curious and that post is a tad hard to follow.

Ummm... could you take a step back and tell me what you are talking about? What was the message about? Was it a rejection or was it an invite giving you a score? Just curious and that post is a tad hard to follow.

No, not a rejection...just another way to calculate a score that goes into their decision whether or not to give me and interview...thank goodness MGH didn't make me do this :)

this is what it says

"In each of the following 6 boxes you must enter two numbers between 0 and 100. The two numbers must be separated by a single space.

The first number represents the percentage of students in your class who received grades LOWER than yours in the clerkship of interest. The second number represents the percentage of students in your class who received grades HIGHER than yours in the clerkship of interest.

If you received the HIGHEST possible grade (e.g., Honors, A), the second number will be zero. In other words, no students received a higher grade. If you received the LOWEST possible grade (e.g., Marginal pass, C), the first number will be zero. If you received an intermediate grade (e.g., High pass, B), both numbers will be non-zero.

The sum of the two numbers will total less than 100. The difference between this sum and 100 represents the percentage of students in your class who received the SAME grade as yours.

Each of the six boxes corresponds to a different core clerkship.

Please enter the results accurately as interview invitations will be partly dependent on analysis of the aggregate results (after confirmation). "

now how am I supposed to get this exact info is beyond me..I know my grades...and even my percentages..but they don't correlate with the rest of the class...you know?

I guess I need to email my student affairs office and ask them exactly how many people Failed/Passed/High Passed/Honored every course

Members don't see this ad :)
this whole formula thing is really weird. i got the email today also. i know when i go to the registrar or student affairs they are going to look at me like i'm crazy when i'm requesting percentages for my entire class..:rolleyes:

still confused... are they asking you to score yourself and let them know how competitive you are? isn't that their job? if i get that they can count on never getting it back.

still confused... are they asking you to score yourself and let them know how competitive you are? isn't that their job? if i get that they can count on never getting it back.

Yeah :) With me being post call...they may as well have asked me to figure out the area under the curve...I had to read it 10 times before I was able to figure out that I couldn't fill out the survey even if I wanted to because I don't have the info...just something else for me to do

I find this to be totally bizarre. I think it speaks volumes about the program frankly. Although I do applaud that they consider more than just USMLE scores, why don't they just read our MSPE? Other programs seem to have no problem with this.

Having been fortunate to receive a number of interviews from top programs, I too am tempted not to reply.

Yeah, what does that say for the program if they can't even interview you without making you do the work for them? A "top program" doesn't do things like that.

I disagree . . . If you don't care whether you get an interview or not, don't reply to Hopkins. If you do, then take the 5 minutes to do what they wanted. At least they aren't just looking at board scores.

At least we don't have to fill out secondaries like we did to get into medical school.

I disagree . . . If you don't care whether you get an interview or not, don't reply to Hopkins. If you do, then take the 5 minutes to do what they wanted. At least they aren't just looking at board scores.

At least we don't have to fill out secondaries like we did to get into medical school.

Maybe they just want to interview people who will do all their crap work and reply with "thank you sir, may i have another." BIG red flag in my opinion. There are enough good programs out there that you don't have to be someone's bitch to get good training.

Members don't see this ad :)
I matched at Hopkins last year and this seems wierd. I've passed this on to someone who graduated from Hopkins (a fellow intern). He's forwarded it to the assistant PD. Before putting the program in the circular file, I'd suggest waiting and seeing what the response is.

My favorite part about the message is "after confirmation".

Wait, let me get this straight. You are askng me to provide data you have already received, yet you won't trust me to supply accurate data?????

I'd be thrilled to be at JHU (or any other program for that metter), so I did it anyways. And it took 5 minutes. But it does smell fishy.

btw, for those of you who have been turned off by Hopkins' message, and have thus decided you do not want to interview there, please complete the survey for the rest of us. Just fill the columns with the following values...

0 99

It'll make the rest of us look SOOOOOO good! :laugh:

Maybe they just want to interview people who will do all their crap work and reply with "thank you sir, may i have another." BIG red flag in my opinion. There are enough good programs out there that you don't have to be someone's bitch to get good training.

Yes, cause you definitely don't want to go to a residency where you do crap work. Good luck finding that...just as a FYI: residency="being someone's bitch". Just wait until you're workig in the OR all but 45 minutes all day, while your attending is sipping coffee, surfin' the net, and talking smack in the break room...that is something that does not vary from program to program. Thanks you sir may I have another? Turn the room over and let's start that add on case...

I recently received an interview from Hopkins and didn't have to do any of this. Seems really odd.

Yes, cause you definitely don't want to go to a residency where you do crap work. Good luck finding that...just as a FYI: residency="being someone's bitch". Just wait until you're workig in the OR all but 45 minutes all day, while your attending is sipping coffee, surfin' the net, and talking smack in the break room...that is something that does not vary from program to program. Thanks you sir may I have another? Turn the room over and let's start that add on case...

If they have you doing things like mopping the floors and cleaning the rest rooms then it sucks. I view rating yourself as a candidate as silly as cleaning restrooms. If you're ready to sink to that level then you better be ready to wash cars... I'll be doing cases instead.

I recently received an interview from Hopkins and didn't have to do any of this. Seems really odd.

Me too -- got the invite and no weird questionnaire.

I believe this year that Hopkins has decided to take a serious look at the deans letters and I assume that if your school puts out a crappy deans letter (as many do) and doesn't give the PD the info that he is looking for then they are obviously asking the applicant to provide the additional information. Just my take on it.

speaking of washing cars, i think my lexus needs a cleaning....you up for it badgas?

speaking of washing cars, i think my lexus needs a cleaning....you up for it badgas?

Sir, YES SIR! I will use my best toothbrush, sir. :laugh:

Not that I have inside information or anything, but maybe Scott is trying to reach out to people who would otherwise have not have been invited for an interview by requesting additional information instead of rejecting them outright. Imagine his reaction if he found out that the very people he was trying to help were badmouthing his program and complaining about the "excessiveness" of applying to Hopkins.

Just my take.

Not that I have inside information or anything, but maybe Scott is trying to reach out to people who would otherwise have not have been invited for an interview by requesting additional information instead of rejecting them outright. Imagine his reaction if he found out that the very people he was trying to help were badmouthing his program and complaining about the "excessiveness" of applying to Hopkins.

Just my take.

= THANK YOU SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!

At least they aren't just looking at board scores.

Guess that theory is shot... Median of 233?? Why in the world did they even wait for the Deans letter?

yeah...this is my first "wait list" and out of 673 active applications for JHU....they're saying I still have a chance...YES!!!!!! Stanford rejected me and I'm still hanging on...I don't think I'll curl up in a corner and start sucking my thumb if my number isn't called :)

To Badgas:

I'm sorry that you didn't have "the goods" to get an invite to Hopkins in the "first round". If you really feel that we have a malignant program (which we don't) and you hate Baltimore so much, why don't you just withdraw your application?

Remember that the median gives quite limited information about a distribution. The range was 180 to 269 with 10%ile and 90%ile of 211 and 253.

In fact, we spent an ENORMOUS amount of time reviewing MSPEs and based our interview decisions mostly on these results. Reliance on MSPEs accounts for the wide spread of USMLE scores as compared to previous years.

Sincerely,
Scott Mittman

To Badgas:

I'm sorry that you didn't have "the goods" to get an invite to Hopkins in the "first round". If you really feel that we have a malignant program (which we don't) and you hate Baltimore so much, why don't you just withdraw your application?

Hey take it easy. I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers and was in no way bashing JHU. No, I'm not a fan of Baltimore but that should not offend you. And I may be one of the only people who would pick many places over JHU. This should also not offend you. I've mostly been joking around about the fact that some would do ANYTHING to get in because it is JHU. Lighthearted fun my friend. And you don't know what "goods" I have, so save that attitude for people who haven't withdrawn chief. I apologize again if it seemed like I was bashing the program... not my intention at all.

Remember that the median gives quite limited information about a distribution. The range was 180 to 269 with 10%ile and 90%ile of 211 and 253.

In fact, we spent an ENORMOUS amount of time reviewing MSPEs and based our interview decisions mostly on these results. Reliance on MSPEs accounts for the wide spread of USMLE scores as compared to previous years.

Sincerely,
Scott Mittman

Not sure if you're still checking in, Dr. Mittman, but help me understand. 180=did not pass Step 1. If that's the case, it must have been an exceptional situation. I will never understand this process. :confused:

Either way, It's nice to see a trend away from board scores.

This particular candidate re-took Step 1 and passed. The principle remains the same, though. Students who excelled in clerkships were invited to interview even if they weren't the best of the best at test-taking. What we've done, essentially, is eliminate the concept of a USMLE "cutoff."

Sincerely,
Scott Mittman

Hey take it easy. I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers and was in no way bashing JHU. No, I'm not a fan of Baltimore but that should not offend you. And I may be one of the only people who would pick many places over JHU. This should also not offend you. I've mostly been joking around about the fact that some would do ANYTHING to get in because it is JHU. Lighthearted fun my friend. And you don't know what "goods" I have, so save that attitude for people who haven't withdrawn chief. I apologize again if it seemed like I was bashing the program... not my intention at all.

I think submitting data that is relevant to the application process and wasn't included in your deans letter is far from "ANYTHING". This is the first time I've seen this kind of attitude come through in your posts, and I'm afraid it's telling. I'm glad you're better than their program, though, because I'm looking forward to my interview. :)

Meh.

Don't worry too much about this JHU Formula. Scott often has unique ideas but he is, above all, free from cunning and deceit. Don't read into it, because there's nothing to find. Just fill the thing out and send it back.

For what it's worth, my own USMLE scores were unremarkable and I was on the "wait list" for interviews back in 2002. I eventually interviewed and matched.

I think submitting data that is relevant to the application process and wasn't included in your deans letter is far from "ANYTHING". This is the first time I've seen this kind of attitude come through in your posts, and I'm afraid it's telling. I'm glad you're better than their program, though, because I'm looking forward to my interview. :)

Oh no, I'm not better in any way... Just not for me, that's all. Like I said, I didn't mean to offend anyone... just playing around.