JFK internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tears for susan

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
John F. Kennedy university doesnt have such a good appic internship placement rate, but it does have a good Capic one. For purposes of the degree and licensure, does the internship need to be appic? I dont know anything about the capic one.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you want to severely limit your career in terms of where you can work and what post docs you can get you need a APA/APPIC intership. Almost all formal post-docs (especially neuropsych) will require that you had an APA approved inteerhip, as will any goverment agency employing psychologists (ie., FBP, VAs, etc). CAPIC sites would only be wise if you wanted to settle of never leave CA and want to immedially put out your PP shingle after internship. If you ever think you want more than that, its not a wise choice.

thanks! and now for another question:
JFK's APPIC internship placement rate is about 50%
What happens to me if i go there, become one of the unlucky 50% who didnt get placed? Is it game over for me, i have failed to become a doctor? Or can i try try again until i get it?

You can re-apply for internship the following year. Keep in mind though that every year it seems like more students go into the internship pool, so your chances probably won't go up to match, and they may even go down a little simply based on ratio of students to sites.

When I applied for internship, I restricted myself to APA approved sites and didn't even apply to APPIC only. I knew that reduced my chances for a match but for my long term career plans it was important. Doing a non-APA approved internship restricts you from working in a VA and in most academic hospitals or other academic gigs. If you're not interested in either of those, then no worries.

Do your homework and apply to sites that you know have taken JFK students before. Your training director at your school should have a good idea about match trends, which sites are a good fit and which have never even interviewd a JFK student.

Good luck!