Jefferson or Drexel?

sonpat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I have applied for BS/MD programs and I got into Penn State / Jefferson and into Rosemont/ Drexel. I really loved Jefferson and Penn State but it is more expensive than Rosemont / Drexel ( about 70k in total over the 7 years). Any advice??

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think they have similar med reputations. Jeff is better regarded (and their clinical education and in a better location). Jeff also has more research opportunities. PSU similarly has more research opportunities. What will the total cost for each be? If it's $230K vs $300K than definitely PSU/Jeff. If it is $330K vs $400K then Drexel may start becoming the better option

Members don't see this ad :)
Would choose the cheaper option. 70K is a lot of money. With interest accruing, depending how long a residency and fellowship you do, you could be looking at an extra 120-140K+. Both schools are similar, we are not talking about Harvard here. Either way, your in a good situation many would love to have.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello! I have applied for BS/MD programs and I got into Penn State / Jefferson and into Rosemont/ Drexel. I really loved Jefferson and Penn State but it is more expensive than Rosemont / Drexel ( about 70k in total over the 7 years). Any advice??

Wow. I never thought I'd see a scenario where Drexel was the cheaper option.

70k isn't nothing, but I'd still go to whichever school you felt a stronger connection with. If I were you I'd pick Penn State/Jeff.

Congrats on having that type of choice though. It's a great achievement.

Go with penn state. 70k for better much grad school and undergrad is worth it.

ahhh still so confused! Please help!

Strongly disagree about Jeff being that much better. Neither is a research powerhouse and most likely you will end up in the same place from either. Even goro calls them the Philly triplets. Most if not all doctors will view them with the same regard, it's not penn or Pitt being considered

It may not be like Penn/Pitt for obvious reasons, but if you look at many past threads discussed on the matter, there is a very clear separation between Jefferson/Temple and Drexel. Philly Triplets is a bit of a misleading term, because Jefferson and Temple essentially have distinguished themselves by providing strong research/academic opportunities, while Drexel seems to have problems with its hospital system and clinical years (the Drexel medical students/residents/graduates etc. would know much more about this, since I got it mainly from past threads/interview reflections on SDN/MDApps).

While Penn State/Jefferson route is pricey, the difference in long-term opportunities is worth the cost.

It's confusing because there is no right answer. It's whichever school you feel more comfortable with. Both are great schools, although I personally like Jefferson's location better than Drexel's. But I'm totally biased because I went to Jefferson. Both schools, however, offer a good education. I would personally go to PSU over Rosemont, but just because I like the bigger school - Rosemont is pretty tiny.

Jefferson.

Adding on to what others have said: Penn State will prepare you better for medical school. I highly doubt Rosemont will provide you with the same academic or social experience. Drexel's location is terrible (first 2 years at least) when compared to Jefferson. Factoring money in, the Jefferson program is far far better.

I'd choose Drexel, save money.

Went to Drexel for med school, I'm happy with my education there so if you end up going that route your life won't be ruined.

Went to Drexel for med school, I'm happy with my education there so if you end up going that route your life won't be ruined.

He already decided over a month ago :).

Conscientiousness = One of The Four Keys to Life

He already decided over a month ago :).

Conscientiousness = One of The Four Keys to Life

I initially was going to say "for anyone still facing this decision" but then I said, meh.

To be fair, with the size of the classes both in the undergrad and med school sides of the schools in Philly, it's a fairly common situation

Reactions: 1 user
Haha I'm a she! But yep I decided on Penn State and Jefferson Medical School. I like bigger schools and I've talked with alot of Jefferson graduates and they all seem very happy with their med school experience!