General jd/mph questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Indiedoc43

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some questions about getting into a jd/mph program. Im going to be going into public interest law because I like improving the lives of impoverished people by helping them get out of the cycle of crime. Where my interest in public health comes in is my passion for studying social epidemics like teen pregnancy mental health stigma. So I need to know what mph options are out there for me and my career prospects. If you ha ve any idea what im talking about please give me some advice. Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

You can do a combined JD/MPH program, or do a JD at one place and an MPH at a separate place. Hopkins is a great place to do an MPH, or Harvard. You want to do the MPH after the JD because then you can do the MPH in 1 year (vs 2 years if you don't have an advanced degree like a JD or MD).

I have some questions about getting into a jd/mph program. Im going to be going into public interest law because I like improving the lives of impoverished people by helping them get out of the cycle of crime. Where my interest in public health comes in is my passion for studying social epidemics like teen pregnancy mental health stigma. So I need to know what mph options are out there for me and my career prospects. If you ha ve any idea what im talking about please give me some advice. Thanks for your time.

I bolded the two main aspects of your post. To me, these seem like very different issues. Before you commit the time and money to getting two professional degrees, I suggest you really take some time to research and get an idea of what career path you want to follow. Both a JD and an MPH are expensive endeavors with low to moderate financial compensation. I am not saying you should make your career decision based on how much you will make afterwards; but when you are considering an investment that is well over 100k, you should have a well defined path. I suggest that if becoming a JD is what your main goal is, then get that first. During the three years that it takes to do that, you will be able to better form your goals and ambitions. Once that is done, if you still want to enter public health, you can get an MPH degree in one year.