January too late to take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JenPenUT

Future Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm registered to take the MCAT in early September, but now I'm considering waiting until after I take Human Anatomy/Physiology II and Physics II this fall--next available testing is not until January. If I have everything else in order for my application, will I even be considered without MCAT scores if I apply early, as in September? I have a 3.7 science GPA and 3.45 overall GPA with a bachelor's in Math.
Thanks for your input!
--Jen

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be fine if you send your app with transcripts and LORs now but MCAT score in Feb or Mar when it arrives. Call the programs you're applying to and make them aware of your situation.

You definitely want both semester of physics before the MCAT. It's mostly mechanics and kinetics in the PS portion's physics questions, but there's certainly some elecricity and optics on there which you might do badly on if you've never taken it. A&P isn't totally nescessary, but it comes in a bit handy in the BS portion or occasionally in VR passages. If you can, take biochem or micro this fall before the MCAT. Almost anyone will tell you that biochem is probably the best course for the MCAT aside from the "required" chem, o-chem, bio, and physics...

I've already taken biochem, microbio, vertebrate anatomy, and just about every other bio under the sun. Thanks for your advice about the physics though--the first course did not come as easily as I expected, so I definitely think I would have a hard time studying the topics of the second course on my own.

Do you think it would still be possible to receive scholarships should I wait until January for the MCAT? That is one of my biggest concerns. I'll definitely get in touch with the pod schools I'm interested in soon!

Thanks so much!

...Do you think it would still be possible to receive scholarships should I wait until January for the MCAT? That is one of my biggest concerns. I'll definitely get in touch with the pod schools I'm interested in soon!...
Scholarship chances are increased for early applicants, so get the ball rolling ASAP whether you take the MCAT this fall or in Jan...

You have to realize that scholarship funding and applicant quality varies a lot between the pod schools. It's not like each school gives ten $5k entrance scholarships per year. Some have almost every student on scholarships ($ize varies of course), and some schools give barely any scholarships at all. A student with a 3.4/24 who applies in November might get no scholarship at pod school X but $5k per year that's easily renewable at school Y. It's just tough to say because at some schools, that's an average applicant and at others it's a higher end student.

Again, you just have to call the school and ask. You have a pretty good GPA and a math B.S. isn't easy at most universities, so you should have a pretty good shot if your MCAT is 20+. The admissions and FinAid departments are really the ones you need to be contacting, though...